Are Custom Guns Worth The Price? - Page 2

Are Custom Guns Worth The Price?

This is a discussion on Are Custom Guns Worth The Price? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally posted by nf9648 Custom guns are great, but don\'t do you much good if you cannot shoot as good as the gun is capable. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Custom Guns Worth The Price?

DC Founder
    Originally posted by nf9648
    Custom guns are great, but don\'t do you much good if you cannot shoot as good as the gun is capable. I found that out today shooting a customized springfield armory that a friend brought, he can get a lot more out of it than I could because hes a much better pistol shooter than I am. Once you get used to those light trigger pulls youll never want to go back to anything else.
    I agree with you and disagree at the same time. At 53, my eyes are starting to degrade my shooting accuracy noticeably. I want a gun that is as accurate as possible so when I add a bit of fuzziness to my vision I am still able to make a decent shot. My shooting with less accurate guns are less than acceptable to me. I would still probably get the job done but would hesitate on a tight shot. When I was younger, I could do decent with just about anything, now I must take the accuracy of the gun out of the equation. There is, as Pyrolizer already said, however, a point of diminishing return to me. If money was no object.... :)

Originally posted by Bumper
    There are several I would love to have but I also have trouble justifying the cost. My Kimbers both have custom features at a less than custom cost and I am very satisfied with them. That said, I do want anything I carry to have the tightest slide available. Kimbers have all of the accuracy and reliability I could ask for, but they will have occasional FTF problems after shooting 200+ rounds. That\'s why I carry 4 guns to the range with me. Shoot till it\'s dirty, change guns, shoot till it\'s dirty, change guns....
    200? I\'ve been known to put 2000 through my 5\" kimber and Colt with only the occasional wipe-down/boresnake/lube method of cleaning. My 4\" kimber gets cleaned more often, since the recoil spring wears out faster (that\'s when I detail strip and clean).

Custom? I may try that one of these days. It\'ll probably happen slowly to the ones I have.

Not worth it to me. I prefer largely out of the box SIGs and HKs, and soon I\'ll be picking up a Glock of some sort for me and my lady.

I had 2 Wilson\'s and sold one. Maybe the criteria custom is applied to often to a gun that\'s just performing the way it should and looks great. My Wilson 1911 has a 3.75# trigger pull and shoots very well. I make no claim that it is better than gun X. The Wilson is what I wanted and its my money so I got spoiled. There are 1911\'s out there I would love to have just to have them, too bad so many guns, life is so short and the politicians are doing their best to kill off us gunners.
    People won\'t understand us folks who like guns but will spend $$$$ on implants etc. Just a thought.

Originally posted by APachon
    What model, and what do you think the trigger pull was set at?

~A

Originally posted by nf9648
    I found that out today shooting a customized springfield armory that a friend brought,
    It was a home built gun, started life as a springfield loaded I believe with novaks, has a home beveled mag well and aftermarket barrel bushing, the trigger was of the aluminum three hole type and felt around 3-3.5 lbs. He recommended I dry fire it first before firing a shot which I did, and it was very light. I caught myself anticipating the shot a lot, I think that is what gave me such crappy performance, Im definitely not used to triggers that light.

I own a NightHawk Custom Enforcer II and am not sorry at all about the $$$ spent. I feel custom is well worth it. I like Kimbers and Paras but You can immediately tell the difference between these type guns and my custom by just relasing the slide. Horribly accurate also.

Nighthawk, now I am looking to get the wife a Talon III.

~A

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    The custom gun might be worth the price. If the custom gun should be carried for CCW is a different question. Think of that nice, pretty, decked-out and engraved $3,000 custom semi-auto that all your friends drooled over. Now think of that same gun sitting in a police evidence locker for two or three years, uncleaned, perhaps with blood still on it oxidizing away, being knocked around regularly as things are moved. Not such a pretty picture. The plain-Jane guns will do the job just fine and it doesn\'t hurt so much to lose them for a while!

I had a friend who owned a 150 year old \"Stratevarious Violin\". When I asked how much it was worth he said \"nobody has offered to buy it yet, so I guess not much\". Any collectable is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Don\'t mean to be a \"smart ass\" but I think it holds true for guns as well. I have some guns that I have sunk pleanty of money into and some people would probably think it was a waste. They are set up however exactly the way I like and they are for my enjoyment so I guess that is all that counts. Sometimes I carry a stock innexpensive J Frame for CCW and sometimes a custom $1,800 1911. It depends on my mood. I wouldn\'t not carry something because it might get impounded if I had to use it to save my life. I am hopeing I will never have to use my gun for that purpose but I carry them none the less.

Just my .02
    MadDog :rock:

DC Founder
    Originally posted by jdsumner
    Bumper, have you tried having your \'smith drop a finish reamer into those chambers? Maybe do one and see if theres a difference in how long you can shoot. I had a Kimber UC that we mic\'d at the shop I frequent and it was very tight. Turn or turn and a half and could shoot quite a bit more rounds. Just opened it enough to probably qual as \'mil spec\'.

Dan
    No, Dan I haven\'t tried that. It only happens on my 4\" Eclipse, I ran 500 rounds through the 5\" TLE with no problem. I may try sending it back to Kimber and let them check it out. If that doesn\'t work I may take your advice and have a local gunsmith check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links