Are Custom Guns Worth The Price?

This is a discussion on Are Custom Guns Worth The Price? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most I have looked at are so high very few people would be able to afford them....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Custom Guns Worth The Price?

Most I have looked at are so high very few people would be able to afford them.

Sure they are. Custom 1911s are one of the few joys in life. I get on or two each year. They are all a bit different showing my change in tastes over the years.

Mike

Customizations really do follow a law of dimishing returns. If you spend $15 to put a set of aftermarket rubber grips on your j-frame, you\'ve customized it and may see a world of improvement in it\'s performance. A $2500-5000 custom pistol may be a work of art but few shooters will be able to wring out the capabilities of that gun. Sights that suit you, a smooth but not too light trigger, or grips that fit your hands are often worthwhile custom investments.

Reliability is an absolute must. Guns shouldn\'t require customization to be reliable but if yours isn\'t, get it fixed!

There is customization that\'s not suitable for defensive carry or combat carry. Often these are accurizing features that allow a shooter to hit more precisely or quickly under competitive circumstances. Some of these modifications (such as excessively tight fit that becomes intolerant of normal fouling, dirt or even temperature changes, overly light triggers) are fine for competition but not for the street.

Chuck

My next pistol purchase after my awaited wheel is a Nighthawk Custom Talon. It will be rotated into my carry line as well after I log in some range time with it as well.

I have fired a few Wilson CQB\'s and SpringArm Pro\'s and Operators. All very nice and custom so to speak but I want something different and hearing the lineage of this company definitely makes me feel good sending some discretionary funds their way.

~A

I hope others here will not take offense, but I can\'t see paying what I consider extravagent prices for a custom pistol when I can shoot just as well in the $350 to $600 range.

I crave a custom one but i hate to blow that kind of cash my most expesive handgun right now is my Hk usp it can probley out shoot me same with my 1911 there my best 2 auto shooters but ii think someone else could wring more out of um.

Myself i crave a Ed brown kobra Carry. I know i have no need of it but since when did need ever matter :)

No offense taken here. I respect your opinion. I have fired a Para P14-45 and a PXT SSP for almost a year now and am realizing it is time to move up the 1911 ladder. I have done some tinckering on both pistols and they are both awesome now not that they were not when they were box stock.

That is where my rationale (justification) to get a high end 1911 is coming from. I can shoot rather well so the members of the range I go to keep telling me.

~A

Originally posted by mtrapper
    I hope others here will not take offense, but I can\'t see paying what I consider extravagent prices for a custom pistol when I can shoot just as well in the $350 to $600 range.

DC Founder
    There are several I would love to have but I also have trouble justifying the cost. My Kimbers both have custom features at a less than custom cost and I am very satisfied with them. That said, I do want anything I carry to have the tightest slide available. Kimbers have all of the accuracy and reliability I could ask for, but they will have occasional FTF problems after shooting 200+ rounds. That\'s why I carry 4 guns to the range with me. Shoot till it\'s dirty, change guns, shoot till it\'s dirty, change guns....

.....eye of the beholder.....

Dan

do you take a bore snake with you to the range Bumper???

~A

Originally posted by Bumper
    but they will have occasional FTF problems after shooting 200+ rounds. That\'s why I carry 4 guns to the range with me. Shoot till it\'s dirty, change guns, shoot till it\'s dirty, change guns....

Bumper, have you tried having your \'smith drop a finish reamer into those chambers? Maybe do one and see if theres a difference in how long you can shoot. I had a Kimber UC that we mic\'d at the shop I frequent and it was very tight. Turn or turn and a half and could shoot quite a bit more rounds. Just opened it enough to probably qual as \'mil spec\'.

Dan

Custom guns are great, but dont do you much good if you cannot shoot as good as the gun is capable. I found that out today shooting a customized springfield armory that a friend brought, he can get a lot more out of it than I could because hes a much better pistol shooter than I am. Once you get used to those light trigger pulls youll never want to go back to anything else.

What model, and what do you think the trigger pull was set at?

~A

Originally posted by nf9648
    I found that out today shooting a customized springfield armory that a friend brought,

Don\'t know tell me

I don\'t know if they are worth it but, when I pick up my Custom Commander built for me by Ted Yost it sure seems worth it!!!!!!!!!!!

DC Founder
    Originally posted by APachon
    do you take a bore snake with you to the range Bumper???
    Yup, I just got a new one for the .45, Thank you Santa. I still need one for the .40 and 9mm. I really don\'t consider it much of a problem to me. I always clean my guns thoroughly as soon as I get home so as long as I don\'t shoot over 200 rounds at a BG in an incident I am okay. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links