Slim line or standard 1911 grips for carry

This is a discussion on Slim line or standard 1911 grips for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Getting some new grips for my 1911 and I was trying to decide if I want to go with slim or normal size grips. Since ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slim line or standard 1911 grips for carry

Getting some new grips for my 1911 and I was trying to decide if I want to go with slim or normal size grips. Since I do carry this on occasion I was thinking of going thin, but then I got to thinking that maybe the grip will feel less positive at the range. Since I cannot feel them both can someone try to explain the difference in feel?

Maybe someone who carries a 1911 could give their advice. Seems like this was asked before but I couldn't find the thread.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have average size hands & put slim VZ grips on my Kimber Pro Raptor and oh does it have a sweet feel now!

Works for me.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I like the look of the VZ Grips that came on my Dan Wesson Valor, but they are a little too thin for me.
    My Les Baer UTC has thin grips and they are okay.
    Both pistols have cut checkering on the front strap, but the DW is more aggressive.
    I guess I can tolerate thin grips if the checkering on the front strap is moderate.

As a reference, a Generation 2 (no finger groves) Glock 19/23 is just about perfect.
    A Kahr P9 feels too thin.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Administrator
    All will depend on "hand size" and personal preference.

I will add this bit of 1911 grip info. If you opt for thin grips you will need to change out your grip screw bushings to thin grip bushings.

Once you have switched out your grip screw bushings you can keep those thin grip bushings installed and they will be fine with either thin or thicker grips.

If your existing grip screw bushings are tight and in good condition you can CAREFULLY file them down in height. When you do that you will lose the screw slot.
    That doesn't really matter though since you do not normally ever remove them.

If you DO ever need to remove them the easiest way to do it if there is no screw slot is just to grab them with a vise grips and turn them out.

The Steel used for the grip screw bushings is intentionally softer Steel so that removing them does not strip the threads in the frame.

Sometimes they are staked in and sometimes they are set in with Loc-Tite.

If your frame is Aluminum alloy then that is a whole different story and you need to remove them in a different way that I will not get into here.

If you do decide to file your existing bushings down you will need a fine flat file and then you'll need to punch two holes in a piece of thin cardboard with the same spacing as your bushings and lay that down on on your your frame so that you don't slip with the file and mar your frame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All of that aside the standard grips are not usually a problem for concealment. They are not very thick at all.
    The best way to conceal a 1911 is to buy a holster that cants the butt of the pistol up so that the butt is not sticking straight out.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I like the look of the VZ Grips that came on my Dan Wesson Valor, but they are a little too thin for me.
    My Les Baer UTC has thin grips and they are okay.
    Both pistols have cut checkering on the front strap, but the DW is more aggressive.
    I guess I can tolerate thin grips if the checkering on the front strap is moderate.

As a reference, a Generation 2 (no finger groves) Glock 19/23 is just about perfect.
    A Kahr P9 feels too thin.
    This is what I was wondering. The grip on my 1911 is very positive now to me (get a solid firm grip that doesn't slip) and I did not want to alter it much unless the difference for carry was significant. Reason I'm even considering new grips is my dog chewed up one of them. Gave her a bit of a woopin for it, but it was my fault for leaving it on the coffee table when I was breaking the gun down while glancing occasionally up at the TV. Oh well...next time I'll know better lol.

Probably just order another set of Larry Davidson's Horned Lizard grips to replace them.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Thin grips for 1911 carry

I have had a number of full size 1911s over the years, and always used the standard thickness grip panels. When I started carrying this type of gun I looked into thin grip panels to cut down the gun thickness and make it easier to conceal. I installed thin grips on a Kimber Pro and a Colt Defender. It made a big difference in the feel of the gun, and I actually liked the thin grips as well or better than the full size. So I have continued to use them on 1911s for carry. Here is a photo of my Defender with thin grips:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Only you can decide. The palm well in every person's hands is different.

I appreciate the fatter, fuller grips with deep palm swell, but nearly all of them are a bit large for my own hands. And so, I typically go with the medium-swell, medium-size grips. But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    It's hard to go wrong with pachmeyers. See my Avatar
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I can speak with more personal conviction about thin grips on a BHP. I tried multiple variations of the factory Browning/FN grips, I tried Pachmayr, I tried Spegal, but until I tried Navidrex Micarta thin-line grips I had no idea how a "perfect" grip felt. No one can tell you, no one can show you. It's something best done with your eyes closed. Good Luck!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lead Moderator
    I really like my VZ thin grips , but it will be a personal preference at to what works for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You know, I think I'm gonna try thin grips. If I don't like them I can just swap them out for standard size again later and sell the thin ones.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The only issue I have with thin grips on a carry gun is the plunger tube isn't supported. Just verify that your gun will remain in working order and that the plunger tube is secure. I switch between a custom set of Cocobolo and thin VZ Operators that I wish were standards.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    The only issue I have with thin grips on a carry gun is the plunger tube isn't supported. Just verify that your gun will remain in working order and that the plunger tube is secure. I switch between a custom set of Cocobolo and thin VZ Operators that I wish were standards.
    How likely is it for the plunger tube to fall off? What's the risk assessment I'm looking at here?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    It has and does happen, I guess it depends on the manufacture, individual part, rounds through gun/age, if the tube was staked properly. Read some of Hamilton Yam's essays on 1911's he has really gotten them down to a science. Losing the plunger tube can tie up the gun, (safety can't be swiped off), and for a SD gun you are really going for total reliability.

Right...something to consider.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links