Glock remorse or wishy washy - Page 2

Glock remorse or wishy washy

This is a discussion on Glock remorse or wishy washy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, from what I gather, Glocks are recommended 2:1. Glocks 6, 1911 3. I did not think it would be that lopsided....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Glock remorse or wishy washy

Okay, from what I gather, Glocks are recommended 2:1. Glocks 6, 1911 3. I did not think it would be that lopsided.

VIP Member
    We can't help it, we're brainwashed...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

IMHO I still believe the Glock Model 19 is the ultimate handgun.
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    IMHO I still believe the Glock Model 19 is the ultimate handgun.
    No argument from me. But I would sure take a Glock .45 if someone would gimmie one!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Texspeech View Post
    [/U] I know, it doesn't make much sense . I think what I would really like is a 1911 with Glock durability and reliability. As far as the G36, it is probably the only Glock of which I am not a fan.
    A well built and well maintained 1911 can be as reliable as anything. Ask me to throw it in the dirt though...probably wouldn't wanna do that. However, how often do you toss your gun in the dirt?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Here's another old fossil who genuinely doesn't believe that the Glock is more durable than the 1911s that are kept around here. If a person likes shooting a 1911 then go for it.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'll just say that if a 1911 was unreliable by default it wouldn't have passed the testing in Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Some of the actual pistols from those two operations are still in working order today.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Texspeech View Post
    I have had 2 Glocks (Gen3 23 and Gen3 30) and have sold them both for what I thought I needed(the 23 was a bit too snappy for my taste). I now have a RIA Tactical Compact. It is a great gun, shoots well, easy to carry concealed(I don't have to go through doors sideways because the grip is so thick(G30). However, after reading all the Glock posts on this forum I am starting to wish I had another Glock in .45acp. This would be my CCW and home defense gun as I don't have the funds to keep the Rock Island and buy another Glock. The 36 would be a great concealed gun but I am not too crazy about the capacity. The 1911 design is timeless and with all the after market stuff for it, it is the AR of handguns. I have read that the smaller frame 1911's sometimes have FTF and FTE issues but hasn't happened to me. The Glock, well its a Glock. Easy to clean, rugged and eats anything you feed it. So I am asking all of you with all of your vast knowledge: "Help, what do I do?"

So you got rid of 2 Glocks and got a 1911 clone that does the job and makes you happy....but you think that because a gaggle of Glock-sniffers constantly chant "Buy a Glock" that you should buy one or two? That makes absolutely no sense but I will confess to having done that myself and eventually owning 3 Glocks over a period of time. I eventually sold all of them and bought more 1911's :P

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    My 1911 went bye bye's and my a few others as well. I normally will not sell a gun but I have been bitten bye the Glock bug. I have bought 2 Glocks in the last 4 months, a Gen 3 17 and a Gen 3 19. I never thought I would enjoy them as much as I have, never like the looks or the feel until I started shooting them on a regular basis. Buy the Glock and you will once again be happy .

I am going to wait on a G30s or a gen 4 G30. I figure by the time they hit my LGS I will be able to afford one.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I'll just say that if a 1911 was unreliable by default it wouldn't have passed the testing in Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Some of the actual pistols from those two operations are still in working order today.
    Some even saw service in a couple of world wars and are still in working order today, even after 35 years of regular service with the current owner, never once failing to feed, function, and fire.

World War I Colt 1911, arsenal rehab'ed for use in World War II

The front sight did come loose about 5 years ago. Since it was 89 years old at the time, it was probably past its "warranty" period.

BurgerBoy, OldVet and Snub44 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I recently traded my Citadel Compact 1911 (same as your RIA) for my Glock 27. I do not regret the decision in the least. The glock is lighter, easier to conceal, easier to carry, and packs a wallup of 40 cal madness. And it will ALWAYS be more reliable than the RIA compact, just the nature of the smallish 1911's. I think someone else said look at the G36 (single stack .45), thats what Id do if I were you. I think when you get into the compact 1911's you have to go upmarket (Kimber, Wilson, Colt etc) to get a really "good" and reliable carry gun. And even then it will require a lot of maintenance. The Glock is the Ronco Rotisserie of pistols, "set it and forget it" (in other words, it will always go bang even if you neglect it)
    Foo909 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I recently traded my Citadel Compact 1911 (same as your RIA) for my Glock 27. I do not regret the decision in the least. The glock is lighter, easier to conceal, easier to carry, and packs a wallup of 40 cal madness. And it will ALWAYS be more reliable than the RIA compact, just the nature of the smallish 1911's. I think someone else said look at the G36 (single stack .45), thats what Id do if I were you. I think when you get into the compact 1911's you have to go upmarket (Kimber, Wilson, Colt etc) to get a really "good" and reliable carry gun. And even then it will require a lot of maintenance. The Glock is the Ronco Rotisserie of pistols, "set it and forget it" (in other words, it will always go bang even if you neglect it)
    The biggest falsehood on the internet. A Glock is mechanical, any mechanical device can fail if not maintained. It may not need cleaning after every session but after a while you will have to clean it anyway.

I love my Glocks but I'll never tell someone that it will always work even if you neglect it. Gotta make sure the springs are good etc.
    -Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    OK, I'll go against the grain. Don't worry about what's said here, carry what you feel comfortable with. Glocks aren't the only gun in the world.
    cmdrdredd and MacNobody like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Another vote for the 1911. Keep what you have or buy a new one. I have carried a commander size, and recently ordered a 3". Excellent guns, excellent platform.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links