Glock remorse or wishy washy - Page 3

Glock remorse or wishy washy

This is a discussion on Glock remorse or wishy washy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks everybody for your input. Once I got home from work I went to my closet, got my 1911, held it in my hands and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Glock remorse or wishy washy

Thanks everybody for your input. Once I got home from work I went to my closet, got my 1911, held it in my hands and remembered why I bought it. It just feels right. I think will have a little work done on the innards to clean and smooth everything leave it at that. Thanks again everybody.

I have a couple of glocks,but,i bought the 30sf about a week before xmas.Ran about 250 rds thru it.So far so good.

I like to say "a man with tools who knows how to use them is a better craftsman than a man who always wants to buy new ones."

You can spend money on upgrades, new guns, new grips etc. If you stick to one thing and practice with it often you will be better served. You can shoot or you can google the latest gizmo.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    IMHO I still believe the Glock Model 19 is the ultimate handgun.
    Yup!
    MacNobody likes this.

I'm just grateful I can get by without the ultimate handgun.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

...my first 1911...bought it for $29 from a co-worker...in 1969...replaced the mag release button for $.50...loaned to my brother-in-law...it got sold to a neighbor of his and when I tracked it down, it had a gold hammer and trigger...didn't want it back...good to see this one...THANKS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Some even saw service in a couple of world wars and are still in working order today, even after 35 years of regular service with the current owner, never once failing to feed, function, and fire.

World War I Colt 1911, arsenal rehab'ed for use in World War II

The front sight did come loose about 5 years ago. Since it was 89 years old at the time, it was probably past its "warranty" period.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Hey guys, this is my first post in a long time! Well, I finally drank the kool aid and I bought myself a Glock 26. I have to admit that I've never been a huge fan of Glock, but I have always had a crush on the Baby Glock and I finally pulled the trigger. My other handguns are a Walther P99AS 9mm, an HK USP Compact .40 S&W and a S&W 442 .38SPL. Unfortunately, here in gorgeous and sunny Costa Rica we are only allowed to have 3 firearms registered in our concealed carry permit. Oh well, could be worse! The thing is that I was wondering if I should get a Glock 19 instead of my Walther P99AS 9mm. I really like the decocker, the ergonomics, the trigger and design of the Walther, but if I had a Glock 19 instead I could also use the Glock 19 mags in my Glock 26. Do you guys think it is worth it or should I just stick with the Walther?
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Texspeech View Post
    Thanks everybody for your input. Once I got home from work I went to my closet, got my 1911, held it in my hands and remembered why I bought it. It just feels right. I think will have a little work done on the innards to clean and smooth everything and leave it at that. Thanks again everybody.
    The above being said, what would you 1911 aficionados recommend? I'm still new to the world of 1911s. I don't want to go overboard.

I've always wanted a Glock, but every time I look at them, they just seem bulky to me. I have a PX4 that is comfortable, and my carry is a M&P Shield, so I shoot it often. I guess since I'm used to the insanely slim shield, I was a little biased when I looked at a Glock 30, 30s, and 36 last week. In the end, I had them hold the 36 for me and I'm going to pick it up today after work. I've bought several guns I wasn't sure about, and when I got to the range I loved it, so I'm hoping that's the case with the 36.

In hindsight, I probably could have saved a fortune by finding a place to rent everything, but this is way more fun.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I regret selling my Glock 33 in favor of buying a Gen 4 G33.

There have been very few Generation 4 33s released to date, and I should have held onto my trusty Gen 3 until a
    Gen 4 was at my dealer's.

Lesson Learned!

"The above being said, what would you 1911 aficionados recommend? I'm still new to the world of 1911s. I don't want to go overboard."

I would recommend to just leave it alone. If it is not being balky at present then don't monkey with it. Really get to know it by shooting the snot out of it for a while. Then make an assessment of work or modifications you think it would really benefit from. Your judgement will then be more accurate if you are previously familiar with your pistol in its factory state.

Take this advice with a grain of salt. It comes from one who is pretty adamently against a great majority of the work and modifications that so many deem necessary for their pistols.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Texspeech View Post
    The above being said, what would you 1911 aficionados recommend? I'm still new to the world of 1911s. I don't want to go overboard.
    Night Sights and a good holster. Maybe an extended thumb safety for easier usage.

Oh and invest in ammo (if you can find it).
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I agree with b.

Too often people think that a 1911 should be all worked over, parts replaced, mods done. While some of that may be helpful and make for a better gun, much of the time people take a perfectly great gun and just muck it up, reduce reliability, and perhaps reduce its value.

Start with a well made, decently appointed 1911 and leave it alone for the first 2000 rounds or so. Then, if you feel it truly NEEDs some changes, proceed conservatively!

You can all to easily spend far too much time and money monkeying around with modding and customizing 1911s that never truly needed it in the first place. I've done more of this myself than I probably should have. Learned a lot in the process, but in some cases I almost wish I still had the original gun.

Interestingly, I took a plain Jane, old roll mark 1991 Commander and dumped a ton of money into custom work by Ned Christiansen. I love the resulting gun... Ned's work is artistry. It's a fabulous and unique gun now and while I don't really regret the custom work....

the gun is so beautiful and so valuable now, that I don't really want to carry it.

This may sound strange, but I miss the plain Jane blued 1991A1 original gun, fugly old roll marks and all. :(

So now, I think I may need to buy another Commander and leave it the hell alone so I can carry it and shoot the snot out of it without any concerns.

Taking this a step further, in owning Browns and Wilson's, I've always gravitated back to my basic Colts. Nice as the über premium semi customs and customs can be, there is something about a good, relatively stock Colt 1911 that I tend to prefer... And that saves a lot of money too! :-)
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

My Commander in the previous post is, arguably, too nice and too costly to be a carry gun. Of course, it would do the job very well, but I almost value it too much for that job.

So, my motivation was bumped a bit higher for acquiring a plain jane Commander and keeping it (mostly) box stock. Here's what I came home with yesterday:

I did swap out the stock rosewood double diamond grips for some VZ Diamondbacks, which have the very aggressive bite that I prefer. After a good cleaning out of the preservative, I lubed it well and proceeded to put a couple of boxes through it. It ran flawlessly and quite accurately, just as I expected it would.

In my experience with buying 15 or so new Colt 1911's over the last decade, once the preservative is cleaned out and the gun is lubed, total out-of-the box reliability is the norm. None of this "you need to shoot 500 rounds through it to break it in before it becomes reliable" nonsense that is the mantra with some of the not-so-reliable (the letter "K" comes to mind) 1911 brands.

If I make any more changes to this gun, they *might* include a short trigger and an arched MSH, or perhaps not. That's it.

I'm a Colt fan, for sure. Simple, quality parts and build, reliable, and not overly expensive.

Once it's completed about 500+ rounds of flawless performance, I will have no qualms about tossing it into my carry rotation.

I still love the Glocks and won't be giving any of them up, but that doesn't damped my enjoyment of good 1911's as well.
    Last edited by DHart; January 21st, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
    cmdrdredd likes this.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

The capacity of a 30SF with the (lack of) reliability of a 36. I'll pass.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links