Glock remorse or wishy washy - Page 4

Glock remorse or wishy washy

This is a discussion on Glock remorse or wishy washy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pointblank The capacity of a 30SF with the (lack of) reliability of a 36. I'll pass. This just says to me that ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Glock remorse or wishy washy

Re: Glock remorse or wishy washy

Quote Originally Posted by Pointblank View Post
    The capacity of a 30SF with the (lack of) reliability of a 36. I'll pass.
    This just says to me that maybe you don't understand and probably don't want to understand the 1911 platform. Or you had a bad experience with a kimber or rattletrap something or other. That is OK, the 1911 isn't for everyone just like glocks aren't. I love both but I know for a 100% fact that a good, properly built1911 that is well maintained is as reliable as anything. It just has to be made right and fitted right. Which a lot of high production guns are not.

I will be the first to admit that there are a lot of stinkers out there amongst the good 1911s. Guns that are nothing but problems. It happens.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

cmdr... you are so right, for many folks (particularly those like Pointblank), a Glock or M&P is more appropriate as they are arguably more foolproof.

The 1911 is a gun for enthusiasts who are more "in tune" shall we say with the intricacies and mechanics of the weapon. For such individuals, the 1911 is a superb defense weapon.

In my experience with buying 15 or so new Colt 1911's over the last decade, once the preservative is cleaned out and the gun is lubed, total out-of-the box reliability is the norm. None of this "you need to shoot 500-700 rounds through it ($250 to $300 in ammo!) to break it in before it becomes reliable" nonsense that is the mantra with some of the very popular and not-so-reliable (the letter "K" comes to mind) 1911 brands.

I don't recommend 1911s for those who simply want to buy a gun and forget about it or for those who are not interested in becoming more deeply involved with the weapon. I learned early on that the problems beginning 1911 owners have which make them think the gun is bad are usually easily corrected with an extractor adjustment or a change in mag spring, recoil spring, or magazine. The 1911 owner must understand at least these adjustments, otherwise they are better off with tupperware.

Personally, I have and use many of the most common handgun brands and models on the market today (including a good number of 1911's) and choose among them depending on circumstance, application, and whim.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I grew up and came of age around U.S. military contract 1911s and A1s and Colt Government Models. The many 1911 clones had yet to make their debut. It's strange now to think of a time when a 1911 type gun meant either Colt or military issue equipment. I didn't observe reliability problems then and I've not had problems owning and shooting Colt or miltary guns since. Personal experiences with dependable 1911s is the reason a Glock 30 or 36 hasn't made it into the firearms menagerie here.

Besides which, the 1911 triggers are so fine by comparison!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Excellent point, b. The 1911 trigger, even a heavy, stock 1911 trigger is infinitely better than that on any other pistol I know of. And a tuned 1911 trigger is absolute shooter's bliss. The 1911 trigger, combined with typical 1911 accuracy, makes placing one's rounds with the 1911 a shooter's dream.

It amazes me when at the range I see the majority of folks with tupperware guns and targets with bullet holes all over the map. Certainly much of that is due to their inability to shoot well, but a good deal of it is related to the abysmal triggers on the typical tupperware gun which make it much more difficult, for novices especially, to control bullet placement. Combine reasonably good shooting skills with a nice, tuned 1911 and the resulting targets are amazing.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

Quote Originally Posted by Texspeech View Post
    The above being said, what would you 1911 aficionados recommend? I'm still new to the world of 1911s. I don't want to go overboard.
    If you're looking for a great 1911 to carry... this is exactly what I would buy (and I have myself, several times over!)

A Colt 1991A1 Commander. Will run you around $900. Other excellent variations include the stainless version and the blued or stainless XSE versions.

Then (before you shoot it) be sure to clean the gun thoroughly to remove the preservative! Follow with a good lube job. Then head to the range for a lot of trouble-free fun!

Now... as a new 1911 owner, you need to learn a few things about the 1911, most importantly, how to adjust the extractor (very easy to do!). I would also advise picking up a few Wilson magazines, as these mags are the gold standard in keeping a 1911 running reliably.

And over time, study up and learn more about the gun, maintenance, and tuning. This is really fun stuff to get into. And the more you know about the gun and the more involved with it you get, the more you understand and appreciate why the 1911 has been revered and adored by millions of folks for over 100 years!!!

This platform, today, is unbelievably popular. So much so, that nearly every major gun manufacturer has jumped into the ring to make versions of their own. I would caution you to stick with the 5" Government and 4.25" Commander sizes. Fact is, the smaller 1911 sizes are known to be very finicky and likely to be less reliable. Yes, there are reliable 3" 1911's out there, but they suffer from low velocity and a high need for recoil spring replacement - both of which can be addressed - but the true sweet spots in the world of 1911's are the government and the commander. You don't need the super expensive models, models with "bling", nor should you go for the cheapies. The sweet spot in reasonably priced, American-made 1911's of excellent quality is found in the Colt line up. Priced right for a very good quality product, made with high quality steel and high quality components... that is reliable!

If you want a gun with a 3" barrel, choose a different design and go with 9mm or .40 cal.
    cmdrdredd and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Excellent point, b. The 1911 trigger, even a heavy, stock 1911 trigger is infinitely better than that on any other pistol I know of. And a tuned 1911 trigger is absolute shooter's bliss. The 1911 trigger, combined with typical 1911 accuracy, makes placing one's rounds with the 1911 a shooter's dream.

It amazes me when at the range I see the majority of folks with tupperware guns and targets with bullet holes all over the map. Certainly much of that is due to their inability to shoot well, but a good deal of it is related to the abysmal triggers on the typical tupperware gun which make it much more difficult, for novices especially, to control bullet placement. Combine reasonably good shooting skills with a nice, tuned 1911 and the resulting targets are amazing.
    To be fair, someone that can shoot a glock from the reset point and has good form will become an excellent shot. Glock's stock trigger reset isn't quite as good as a 1911 can be, but it is one of the best out of the box IMO.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    To be fair, someone that can shoot a glock from the reset point and has good form will become an excellent shot. Glock's stock trigger reset isn't quite as good as a 1911 can be, but it is one of the best out of the box IMO.
    I agree... I can shoot my G19 and G17 (both of which have polished actions and lighter-than-factory connectors) nearly as well as my 1911's, but there is still a difference in favor of the 1911's. I have a lot of respect for my Glocks and they're always close at hand.

VIP Member
    I sure love my Colt 1911's! Very accurate with a fantastic trigger! Too bad they don't have 13+1 like my Glock 21 Gen 4........
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I sure love my Colt 1911's! Very accurate with a fantastic trigger! Too bad they don't have 13+1 like my Glock 21 Gen 4........
    C hawk.... we're trackin' in tandem, buddy. I believe capacity can be critically important. My G21SF is my nightstand piece. 14 rounds of .45acp goodness in a fine Glock pistol is a wonderful thing. I love it! I love my G30, as well.

Capacity is why I shifted my carry-gun choices, years ago, primarily to high-cap Glocks (G19, G17, G21SF). I believe I neglected my 1911's for too long, though. Recently, I rediscovered how well I could shoot with my 1911's and realized that while capacity is significant, it's not EVERYthing... and 1911's are not outdated, in any way. I'm enjoying a bit of a personal 1911 renaissance... and it's truly great! Please forgive my enthusiasm; I believe it's well founded. :-)

Lord forgive me... I'm a true firearms enthusiast!
    cmdrdredd likes this.

The only regret I have about Glocks is that I had the opportunity to get a G21sf with 5 mags and a surefire X-300 for $600 and I passed on it to buy computer parts instead lol. Having multiple hobbies is a killer sometimes.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    The only regret I have about Glocks is that I had the opportunity to get a G21sf with 5 mags and a surefire X-300 for $600 and I passed on it to buy computer parts instead lol. Having multiple hobbies is a killer sometimes.
    Hey man, it's not too late to make up for past choices! I'll bet you can bag a great G21SF or G21 Gen 4 the next time you set out to do so! Go for it and you will love it.

And on top of that, I should say, the M&P45 is a pretty sweet pistol as well. I recently added an M&P45C to the fold and it's turned out to be a wonderful .45acp launcher, even if a bit hampered, capacity-wise! ;-)

How could anyone not love .45acp? No complaints from me with this caliber... .45acp from a great 1911, a great Glock, or a great M&P... it's all good. Just practice with whatever you choose... and YOU be good! :-)

Glock remorse or wishy washy

My only Glock regret is that I didn't buy another one before this panic started. ;)

Sure they're not for everyone but I've already got three that I've been nothing but pleased with and plan on getting at least one more once they are available again.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I had a G30 for a year or so.

Found the grip to be a bit large for me and a local guy wanted to trade for his CZ.

The G30 was both soft shooting and very accurate.

I'd like to check out a G30SF in the near future, but will pass on the G36 or G30S.

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol...They shoot underwater! You can pour sand in them and they'll shoot. Shoot every time. It's a good choice." -- Sam Gerard, U.S. Marshals
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    The G30 was both soft shooting and very accurate.

Sure is... what a great carry gun!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links