Defensive Carry banner

NY forgot to exempt LEOs from the new law

12K views 103 replies 79 participants last post by  Hopyard 
#1 · (Edited)
I just talked to my friend who is a police officer in NY. The new New York gun laws have no exemptions for Law Enforcement Officers. Way to go Governor Cuomo!! You just made criminals out of your police force.

#40 ·
doubt it, maybe the Post

#41 ·
When they passed a helmet law for motorcyclists in California it applied to 3 wheeled vehicles too. Many cities were unable to send out the fleet of parking meter monitors, and either had to buy helmets fast, or lose income waiting for a "patch" law that exempted 3 wheeled vehicles where the operator was enclosed and seat-belted. Don't any of these guys have someone to check their work?

#42 ·
Some where, the jihadi's are packing their bags and buying their tickets to New York, saying to themselves, "Ya know, those idiots who took down Mumbai really should've reconsidered."

#45 ·
Just shows tah go how many of our voted in officials don't read these Bills before they vote on things.

The way the new NY high capacity mag law is written though. If you have a mag that holds over 7-rounds...say it's a 30-round P-Mag and you only load 7-rounds into it then it is a legal-beagle!

#62 ·
That's not true. Any magazine over 10 rounds is illegal and you have 1 year to dispose of it. 10 round mags are grandfathered if you possessed them on or before 1/15 but you can only load 7 rounds into them (unless you are at a range then you can load 10). Only 7 round or less magazines may be sold now.

The question was asked during the Assembly discussion about LE being exempt. The sponsor of the bill said openly that LE was exempt from these regulations (although not found in the text I've read). Of course they are.

Now, will this exemption cover them while on duty with department issued weapons only, or will they be allowed to be above the law off duty and carry whatever they want concealed?

Behind the thin, blue line.
The exemptions have always applied to "whatever", that is because most depts around here have written policies what their officers may or may not carry off-duty. For instance they may be allowed to carry their duty weapon with one reload, or an approved compact pistol (that they have also qualified with) with a full size reload.

#51 ·
I think you are making something out of the bill that has no validity. While there might not be any specific language in the bill that states except law enforcement agencies/officer they would automatically be exempt. There is no written exemption for the NY national guard either.

Reactions: WINTEJER000
#54 ·
The question was asked during the Assembly discussion about LE being exempt. The sponsor of the bill said openly that LE was exempt from these regulations (although not found in the text I've read). Of course they are.

Now, will this exemption cover them while on duty with department issued weapons only, or will they be allowed to be above the law off duty and carry whatever they want concealed?

Behind the thin, blue line.

#58 ·
NY forgot to exempt LEOs from the new law
If true, I'm sure they'll correct their goof as soon as they're able. In the meantime, I can't imagine anyone in the controlling gang will actually pursue any failure by law enforcement to follow this new law. It'll be seen as a glitch, not a crime. After all, the new statutes passed by greater than a 2:1 margin. After all, it wasn't meant to apply to them.

#60 ·
Another example of "you have to pass the bill to see what's in it".

#61 ·
I've noticed during my long life that whenever liberals pass "feel good" laws in a hurry they always screw it up.

#64 ·
Let's not hate on the LEO's for this one. We dont like it any more than anyone else. It was the talk of the day all the way down here in TN yesterday. Everyone was on the same page about how insane it is. Two of my NYPD buddies called me also. They too think its a horrendous abuse of law abiding citizens. Unfortunately, there is no reasoning with these people. Their heads are so far in the mud that they actually do think this will curb violent crime. No amount of scary NRA commercials or "reasoning" will change that. It sucks, and its stupid. I have a lot of friends up there who are extremely pissed off. Unfortunately they are also far outnumbered by the tiny sliver of you-know-who's known as NYC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.