Defensive Carry banner

NY forgot to exempt LEOs from the new law

12K views 103 replies 79 participants last post by  Hopyard 
#1 · (Edited)
I just talked to my friend who is a police officer in NY. The new New York gun laws have no exemptions for Law Enforcement Officers. Way to go Governor Cuomo!! You just made criminals out of your police force.

#69 ·
I'M SO GLAD I ESCAPED BACK IN August '06! The once great Empire State now completely run by left-wing loons! I'm wondering what I could carry as a Retired NYS LEO if I went back up to visit? I guess I'll have to consult an attorney before I go ! WHAT A MESS!!

#71 ·
How about us retired LEO that like to qualify under HR218. How the hell can we do a LEO qualification course with 7 rd mags? NYS FOP is looking into that one. What little respect I had for the governor is all gone now!!

#79 · (Edited by Moderator)
********************************************************************************************************
Like his father..ol'Andrew is another self-important liberal wind-bag. He gives us Italian-American NY'ers a bad name !!

#72 ·
I would think HR218 trumps state law, no? HR218 says you can carry what is in YOUR department policy, and that you have qualified with. I would think you are legal carrying what you usually carry, even in NY.

However, i'm not an attorney. I'm simply guessing here. All I know for sure is its getting much more complicated as time goes on. I dont think anyone really knows the answers to these questions.

#73 ·
Some NY citizens with backbone ought to do citizens arrest on LEOs to make the point. Turning good people into criminals thru legislative stupidity is tyranny.

#74 ·
It's not a problem folks.

All it takes is the stroke of a pen by the Governor and voila... like a magic trick, the cops get all their guns back.

That's how all the laws are made in a Banana Republic.

Reactions: Spirit51
#76 ·
Is the new New York State song, "Hey Mr. Tally man, tally me bananas. Midnight come and me want to leave New York." I am sure Belafonte would sing it for them.....after he and Sean Penn finish morning for Chavez.

#81 ·
So, will the LEOs have the ability to arrest themselves or will they need to arrest each other? I'm sure that will help the crime rate in NY. At least all of the bad guys will be adhering to the laws (heck, it's not like they're criminals or anything) so the net effect should be close to zero. At least that must be the theory according to Gov. Cuomo...

#82 ·
Or did they REALLY forget??????

Maybe Bloomberg has struck a deal with KelTec for new .380 sidearms for NYPD. Ooops, that has a detachable mag, must be an assault weapon. LOL

Seriously, I actually lament for the LEO's of NY. This has opened a huge can of worms for them.

#83 ·
zamboni - For the sake of clarity, the NY law now is:

Pre-1994 mags with capacity greater than 10, which were formerly grandfathered as legal, are now illegal to own. NYers must sell them out of state within a year.

Mags with a capacity of 7-10 that NYers currently own are grandfathered legal, but can only be loaded with 7 rounds.

Future mag sales are limited to mags with a max of 7 rounds. Problem is, for many guns, no such mags exist - so when yours wear out... :mad:

There is already a move afoot with the NRA and the NY State Rifle and Pistol Association to challenge this nonsense in court. I feel they have a strong chance, given that the legal standard used by the Supreme Court has been weapons "in common use" by civilians. AR rifles and mags with capacities greater than 10 are very much "in common use." So, we shall see.

#84 ·
Dang...how long will it be before manufactures will even bother to re-tool just to comply with N.Y.'s new ridiculously low mag law. It's more profitable to sell more guns, so the financial burden is on us. :pokey: Just like the price at the pump. :scruntiny:

How many will be effected that only own a firearm that we rely on to protect our precious children with, that at present only can use mags over 10-rounds.

And if they do make a 10-round mag, even though we can own one we can not legally buy one. Worst yet, if there isn't any 7-round mags made for our firearm, all of our children will go unprotected :aargh4:

The average mag capacity is 15-rounds. Interjecting a law that restricts mag capacity below that, is poppycock! And reducing it to 7-rounds is either stupidity at its finest hour or; a direct objective to disarmament!

So, it is quite clear to see. How and now, that it is all starting to go according to their plan, and disarm all of us Law Abiding Citizens.

All the politicians keep saying is it is all for the betterment of, and all about our children's preservation of life. But now they are taking away any ability to protect our children, because of their new laws now? :aargh4:

I guess this NEW N.Y. LAW wasn't REALLY FOR THE BETTERMENT of, about anyone's preservation of life, or to protect our children, as they all keep claiming it was, or is! :hmm:

#86 ·
All the talk about the police not being exempt is so much doo doo. In NYS the Criminal procedural law, and rules define who is and who is not a police officer, or a peace officer. Sect 265.00 of the Penal law defines what is a weapon, firearm, deadly weapon, dangerous instrument, and what is or not an assault weapon. Section 265.20 exempts police officers, and peace officers from section 265.

They are exempt by statute.

#89 ·
It is not the whether or not police would arrest other police officers that is at issue.

What is at issue is that either the state legislature will have to amend the law (thereby raising the issue of why LEOs need greater capacity than LAC... Or, by failing to enforce the law equally, the state is in violation of the constitution. Therefore it is either a PR Problem for the gun grabbers, or grounds for a federal court to overturn the law.

Either way, it will show the hypocrisy of those who passed this law

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#91 ·
No thank you. Won't visit or spend a dime there.

#95 ·
What someone does not understand is that Cuomo is the fascist dictator in charge and only he and his father and those he and he alone decides can have firearms will have them and can have whatever they want. Kind of like N. Korea where the previous schmoe and now his son are the only ones that are allowed to do anything while everyone else can go to hell.

#98 ·
There are simply no words to describe how completely maniacal and over-reaching the passing of this bill is. I mean, did anybody see the picture of Cuomo signing the bill? I mean, the guy just LOOKED like a slick psychopath with a ****-eatin' grin on his face as he was signing it.

No words, man. Just no words.

#102 ·
I don't think police should have anymore rights then the average citizen but thats the way it is. I am HR218 qualified and am entitled to nationwide carry. I think there should be a national reciprocity for all pistol licenses. My father, brother and my wife all have pistol licenses in Florida, North Carolina and New York respectively. I don't think I am any better then they are nor do I think I am better then the average citizen. I think all law abiding citizens should have nationwide carry but they don't. I believe we should all work to change that.

#104 ·
Brave soul. I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think it will work out all that well in
the real world and the real NY courts.

Personally, though I'm not in your shoes, were I there I would take a 642 when in NY and let
someone else become the test case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.