NY forgot to exempt LEOs from the new law - Page 5

NY forgot to exempt LEOs from the new law

This is a discussion on NY forgot to exempt LEOs from the new law within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed during my long life that whenever liberals pass "feel good" laws in a hurry they always screw it up....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: NY forgot to exempt LEOs from the new law

GH
    I've noticed during my long life that whenever liberals pass "feel good" laws in a hurry they always screw it up.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Retired PI/Armed Security
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Just shows tah go how many of our voted in officials don't read these Bills before they vote on things.

The way the new NY high capacity mag law is written though. If you have a mag that holds over 7-rounds...say it's a 30-round P-Mag and you only load 7-rounds into it then it is a legal-beagle!
    That's not true. Any magazine over 10 rounds is illegal and you have 1 year to dispose of it. 10 round mags are grandfathered if you possessed them on or before 1/15 but you can only load 7 rounds into them (unless you are at a range then you can load 10). Only 7 round or less magazines may be sold now.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    The question was asked during the Assembly discussion about LE being exempt. The sponsor of the bill said openly that LE was exempt from these regulations (although not found in the text I've read). Of course they are.

Now, will this exemption cover them while on duty with department issued weapons only, or will they be allowed to be above the law off duty and carry whatever they want concealed?

Behind the thin, blue line.
    The exemptions have always applied to "whatever", that is because most depts around here have written policies what their officers may or may not carry off-duty. For instance they may be allowed to carry their duty weapon with one reload, or an approved compact pistol (that they have also qualified with) with a full size reload.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    The exemptions have always applied to "whatever", that is because most depts around here have written policies what their officers may or may not carry off-duty. For instance they may be allowed to carry their duty weapon with one reload, or an approved compact pistol (that they have also qualified with) with a full size reload.
    and because LEO are way better trained than the average American citizen and can carry more than 7 rounds responsibly..i get it.

Let's not hate on the LEO's for this one. We dont like it any more than anyone else. It was the talk of the day all the way down here in TN yesterday. Everyone was on the same page about how insane it is. Two of my NYPD buddies called me also. They too think its a horrendous abuse of law abiding citizens. Unfortunately, there is no reasoning with these people. Their heads are so far in the mud that they actually do think this will curb violent crime. No amount of scary NRA commercials or "reasoning" will change that. It sucks, and its stupid. I have a lot of friends up there who are extremely pissed off. Unfortunately they are also far outnumbered by the tiny sliver of you-know-who's known as NYC.

not hating on the LEOs. It's those above the guys on the street that make these decisions.

The shame is not what was is in the law but that it passed. New york should be very proud of itself and its subjects less so...
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Living proof that 'you can't cure stupid'.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    You can only laugh at this kind of stuff. Schadenfreude at its best.
    i haven't heard that term in a long time.

I'M SO GLAD I ESCAPED BACK IN August '06! The once great Empire State now completely run by left-wing loons! I'm wondering what I could carry as a Retired NYS LEO if I went back up to visit? I guess I'll have to consult an attorney before I go ! WHAT A MESS!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    and because LEO are way better trained than the average American citizen and can carry more than 7 rounds responsibly..i get it.
    What kb2 said. I definitely don't agree with the new laws but I was just telling why we have an exemption from the previous 10 round cap and eventually the 7 round cap.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Let's not hate on the LEO's for this one. We dont like it any more than anyone else. It was the talk of the day all the way down here in TN yesterday. Everyone was on the same page about how insane it is. Two of my NYPD buddies called me also. They too think its a horrendous abuse of law abiding citizens. Unfortunately, there is no reasoning with these people. Their heads are so far in the mud that they actually do think this will curb violent crime. No amount of scary NRA commercials or "reasoning" will change that. It sucks, and its stupid. I have a lot of friends up there who are extremely pissed off. Unfortunately they are also far outnumbered by the tiny sliver of you-know-who's known as NYC.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

How about us retired LEO that like to qualify under HR218. How the hell can we do a LEO qualification course with 7 rd mags? NYS FOP is looking into that one. What little respect I had for the governor is all gone now!!
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I would think HR218 trumps state law, no? HR218 says you can carry what is in YOUR department policy, and that you have qualified with. I would think you are legal carrying what you usually carry, even in NY.

However, i'm not an attorney. I'm simply guessing here. All I know for sure is its getting much more complicated as time goes on. I dont think anyone really knows the answers to these questions.

VIP Member
    Some NY citizens with backbone ought to do citizens arrest on LEOs to make the point. Turning good people into criminals thru legislative stupidity is tyranny.

Lead Moderator
    It's not a problem folks.

All it takes is the stroke of a pen by the Governor and voila... like a magic trick, the cops get all their guns back.

That's how all the laws are made in a Banana Republic.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Uhhh... LEO's are exempted.

Article 265 - Penal Law - Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons

Click on where it reads Exemptions.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links