what happens after your seventh defense shot?

This is a discussion on what happens after your seventh defense shot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cmdrdredd But I don't qualify for those. I actually work so they don't want to help me. Sent via telepathy on a ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: what happens after your seventh defense shot?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    But I don't qualify for those. I actually work so they don't want to help me.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    Are you saying you are hard working and have the obama sticker on your car???
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

People who carry a 5-round snubbie are probably laughing at this thread.

Remember, a police officer has to remain on the scene in some respect. Might have to pursue a fleeing suspect. You don't.

In almost any case imaginable, if you produce a firearm and start using it, it is unlikely that the assailant will wade into your gunfire, taking hit after hit, hoping you'll run out of bullets so that he's only shot 7 times.

If you cannot drop a target with 7 rounds of Corbon DPX or similar, I doubt 14 are going to be much more help. And per the above, what is the scenario you envision? You, hunkered down behind a dumpster, a hail of Bad Guy gunfire smacking all around you, as you desperately reload and pop-up gopher style to return fire?

What we see in real-life videos in virtually all cases is the defender fires a shot and everybody scrambles to get the Hell out of Dodge.

There are exceptions: The maniac, the drug addict, the disgruntled ex-lover. Sure, it happens. But there you're getting down into statistical territory that's very small. In general, the odds of a CCW owner having to actually produce and fire a weapon are low.

Nevertheless, I'm glad I've got options beyond 7 rounds, because ya never know.
    Doghandler and Richekay like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by walls View Post
    I know the analogy is to make a point but, this situation as far as I've ever heard, just doesn't happen.
    I would think if there is an armed group of people putting good effort into killing you, you aren't innocent to begin with.
    Not really those stats are changing and you are just flat wrong with that assumption of someone not being innocent. Need to prepare for the worst, not the average.

Most of the super dangerous crimes are committed by ever younger thugs and gang members and even in our neighborhood 40 miles from the inner city we've had 3 doors kicked in during the day by a crew of 3-4 young men with their hoodies in a large SUV. The 3rd time they confronted an older man telecommuting 10 houses down. He came down the stairs just as they were finally kicking the door in, they fled and have moved to another area. I also had both my motorcycles stolen by a band of traveling gypsy thieves that scoped out my home while pretending to sell firewood door to door. If they had not been so silent that night and I'd come out with my little 380 at that time, I likely would not be typing right now. You corner these people or surprise them and you're in for a battle.

Criminals these days often come in packs. 15 years ago there was no crime in our town, hometown America. Now every grocery store, several drug stores, banks, check cashing and even Zaxbys chicken joint have been robbed recent years by 2-3-4 gunmen entering with weapons drawn and in the air, recorded on worthless video that shows a hoodie with a dark face you could never identify.

One guy I know shot and killed one of two attackers while picking up orange juice at the big box grocery store. I can go on and on and on. Right now we have a gang of three young black men, all armed with full size pistols, jumping in McDonalds drive through windows and holding them up. Police cannot seem to catch them. One even forgot his so called high capacity pistol at one crime, they were reported as, all armed.

A son and father came home recently near my home and 4 black males were inside their home with THIER guns and a shoot out erupted. The son was shot in the hand and I believe they shot a couple of the home invaders and the cops got the rest. This does not end there. Our local news which is heavily biased wont release photos and names of robbers half the time due to their political correct left leaning bias. So we don't hear enough about the true numbers of young baggy pant thug crimes in Atlanta. And you never hear much about the stories where armed citizens win. Those stories fly by like a jet and vanish.

This season of First 48 has about 5-6 episodes of murders happening in Dekalb county just a few minutes from my home. I say wake up and smell the coffee. When you practice by attending an IDPA match and shoot a bunch of bad guys in a simulated parking garage, gas station or home, that's more realistic than ever in the past. All except the bad guys don't just stop attacking and die when you shoot them 2 times to score points. You need to SHOOT THEM TO THE GROUND until they are stopped completely. Jose Whales movie is hollywood, so is dirty Harry. You watch real videos of crimes and robbers often dont even realize they're shot until they collapse.

I run drills with just 3 bad guys all the time and empty a 15 round mag . Aka clip for all the democrats out there. And if you think you're going to pull a gun from an ankle holster or change guns in the middle of a gun fight, well, good luck with that. I still work very hard on revolver skills, more than ever, because there are times it's a better choice to carry for specific reasons I cannot lay out. If I was in true combat I would love my 14 round XDm45 with at least one extra mag. Or my wife's XDm9 holds 20 each hornady +P critical duty. And I would still want one other mag. I want to stop the attack, scan 360 as I change to another mag, make sure the coast is clear then remain ready for anything else that could pop up.

When I carry revolver its usually one LCR 357 revolver with two speed loaders in a pocket that only contains them. Rest of the time it's a Sig P938 9mm pocket pistol with 7+1 loaded and two extra mags in a dedicated left pocket. We keep an extra box of ammo in glove compartment of each car, and a left weak side knife or in my case a fairburn fighting dagger worn at all times. I wear a keymate microstream light on a lanyard around my neck 24x7x365. I also carry when I telecommute in my home office on the other side of the house. and use motion detectors around my home to detect people coming near.

Watch how instantly a 14 round 45acp can be emptied on 3 bad guys
    XDm 45ACP 5.25" Single Run concealment 3 bad guys - YouTube

See how fast a 15 round 9mm can be competely emptied with 3 bad guys
    Sig P250 Practice Runs Jan 12 2013 SRGC - YouTube
    Last edited by GeorgiaShooter; January 18th, 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaShooter View Post
    Not really those stats are changing and you are just flat wrong with that assumption of someone not being innocent. Need to prepare for the worst, not the average.
    I understand what you're saying. Planning for the worst I guess it what this forum is about. I totally get that.
    I think the big difference in reality vs. these hypothetical scenarios is that you fire against these "thugs" and they continue to pursue.
    It's very unlikely unless they have a motive other than stealing some stuff.
    I should have added that to my first post.
    I don't mean to say that this doesn't happen.
    This just happened this week on the street where my friend lives.
    I mean to say these people committing the crime are relatively young and untrained. Looking for low resistance.
    If you shoot at them and they engage in a fire fight that lasts past 7 rounds, there are ulterior motives most likely.

You finish the job by beating them to death with an empty gun.
    tony1990 and J.Thompson like this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    You finish the job by beating them to death with an empty gun.
    Or stabbing them with those rail-mount pistol bayonets.

NY probably banned them too though.

Throw a 32 oz soft drink at them. Those things are killers!!
    atctimmy likes this.

Leave the 15 rounder in my gun for home defense, put the 10 rounder in after I kill the dirtbag and before the cops come (which in my neighborhood could be 30 minutes)
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I believe I'll carry the double barrel 1911 that's coming soon. Seven + seven + one + one, should handle most situations.

Double-barrel 1911 lands ATF approval, importation to begin next year - Guns.com

ArsenalFirearmsAF2011A1DoubleBarrelPistol33.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DanDglassman View Post
    I believe I'll carry the double barrel 1911 that's coming soon. Seven + seven + one + one, should handle most situations.

Double-barrel 1911 lands ATF approval, importation to begin next year - Guns.com

ArsenalFirearmsAF2011A1DoubleBarrelPistol33.jpg
    Never seen that, but methinks I need one. Although, concealing it might be a little hard. That's a lot of steel and lead.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

what happens after your seventh defense shot?

there is no "after the 7th shot". because uncle Joe told us that you don't need that much ammo to kill a deer. and we all no the 2nd Amendment is better known as the Hunting Amendment.

Re: what happens after your seventh defense shot?

I carry a PPS with one in the hole and a 7 round mag. New York compliant FTW. LOL

After 7 rounds I guess you are just expected to dodge bullets and start pistol whipping!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaShooter View Post
    Simply look at the criminal and tell them you are a community activist and love them, understand their struggle and they should accept Christ and not commit this crime.... Reason with them and point to your Obama bumper sticker. Works every time.

^^LMBO^^^^^^^^

You forgot to also say, Invite him to the White House Lawn for a beer and a chat, televised of course.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Round Count!

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Leave the 15 rounder in my gun for home defense, put the 10 rounder in after I kill the dirtbag and before the cops come (which in my neighborhood could be 30 minutes)
    Be sure your round count adds up!

You'd look pretty silly if you shot the BG 4 times, and then when the Law shows up, you've got a full 10-rd mag in the gun! If you shoot more than eight rounds (hit OR miss), you'd better have a spare empty 10-rounder handy!

Regards,
    Jim

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links