New Kahr CW380

This is a discussion on New Kahr CW380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sioux565 When I bought my Harley five years ago, HD recommended a break in period for the engine. Are you saying that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Kahr CW380

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    When I bought my Harley five years ago, HD recommended a break in period for the engine. Are you saying that they sold me an incomplete product because I had to "take it easy" at the very beginning?

I guess everyone has their opinions on a break in period for whatever it may be. I put at least 200 rounds through my carry gun before I decide if it is worth carrying, but I am sure there are people who carry it right out of the box.
    You're missing the point...Kahr isn't saying take it easy..."They're saying there is a good chance it won't work right until...." Harley and Kahr are saying two completely different things. I bet if your bike didn't start, or each cylinder only fired every other compression stroke that you wouldn't have wasted any time getting it back to the dealership and telling them that they better get this thing fixed cause I paid $xx,xxx for it and, it's not right.

I also put a few hundred rounds through a carry gun before I decide that it's proven itself reliable enough to carry as a SD gun. But, I still it EXPECT it to function 100% right out of the box, no cleaning, no break in, I might oil it. But, for the first 100 rounds it had better function correctly just like it came out of the box from the factory.
    mburmaster, bm303 and ExGM like this.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

2. Remove Ads

I wasn't going solely by anything I had read on the internet. I am going by information from Kahrs website and personal experience
    Well first of all Kahr's website is on the internet. But I'm more interested in your "personal experience". Which Kahr pistols have you owned and what were the problems you experienced with them? I personally break down, clean and lubricate every new gun I get. By the way my CW9, CM9 and CW45 have all been perfect from day one.
    surefire7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    You're missing the point...Kahr isn't saying take it easy..."They're saying there is a good chance it won't work right until...." Harley and Kahr are saying two completely different things. I bet if your bike didn't start, or each cylinder only fired every other compression stroke that you wouldn't have wasted any time getting it back to the dealership and telling them that they better get this thing fixed cause I paid $xx,xxx for it and, it's not right.

I also put a few hundred rounds through a carry gun before I decide that it's proven itself reliable enough to carry as a SD gun. But, I still it EXPECT it to function 100% right out of the box, no cleaning, no break in, I might oil it. But, for the first 100 rounds it had better function correctly just like it came out of the box from the factory.
    I don't think Kahr is saying "there is a good chance it won't work right until..." at all. If you look around you'll find someone that has had problems with ALL firearms, even glocks. I would imagine Kahr says what they do in the manual for those rare occurrences where a person does have an issue in the first few hundred rounds, in order to discourage them from sending it back before at least firing 200 rounds through it. In my opinion, it isn't an issue since most people are going to fire at least that many rounds through it before trusting it anyway.

I own a CM9 and it has functioned 100% right out of the box. There are things I don't like about it, but I can find fault with any gun. I don't think it's an unfinished product at all. I have not touched mine other than cleaning and shooting. Maybe Kahr has more failures than some others, maybe they don't, but my experience with mine has been great thus far.
    surefire7 likes this.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
    Well first of all Kahr's website is on the internet. But I'm more interested in your "personal experience". Which Kahr pistols have you owned and what were the problems you experienced with them? I personally break down, clean and lubricate every new gun I get. By the way my CW9, CM9 and CW45 have all been perfect from day one.
    You're first statement is just ridiculous, not to mention childish. It's on their website; which means that they sanction the information. If they wanted it to say something different they have the right and the means to make it so. So, why don't they? Because it's the truth.
    PM9, CW9, TP45, and CW45...Not to mention the ones that my friends and family have and have had problems with, you can more than triple the previous number. The problems I experienced were as follows: failures to fire, feed, and extract. Stovepipes, double feeds, nosedives, and a live rounds coming up in a stovepipe position. So, I've plenty of experience with the brand and the vast majority has, unfortunately, been negative. And, it would seem that there have been many others that have had the same experience. Is that enough "personal experience" for you?

Quote Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
    I don't think Kahr is saying "there is a good chance it won't work right until..." at all. If you look around you'll find someone that has had problems with ALL firearms, even glocks. I would imagine Kahr says what they do in the manual for those rare occurrences where a person does have an issue in the first few hundred rounds, in order to discourage them from sending it back before at least firing 200 rounds through it. In my opinion, it isn't an issue since most people are going to fire at least that many rounds through it before trusting it anyway.

I own a CM9 and it has functioned 100% right out of the box. There are things I don't like about it, but I can find fault with any gun. I don't think it's an unfinished product at all. I have not touched mine other than cleaning and shooting. Maybe Kahr has more failures than some others, maybe they don't, but my experience with mine has been great thus far.
    You are absolutely correct problems do arise with every other brand of pistol. But, for those manufacturers it's such an uncommon occurrence based on the number of guns they produce that they don't put "fixes" for the problem in their FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. So, by their own admission it IS frequent. That means that they know about the problem yet, are doing nothing to rectify it.
    I am sincerely glad that your Kahrs have functioned well and that you are happy with them. I hope that you continue to be.
    sebring and ExGM like this.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Distinguished Member
    I picked up a PM9 about 3 weeks ago and have put about 160 rounds through it so far without a single FTF or FTE. I have been very satisfied thus far.
    Last edited by RickyD; January 22nd, 2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

You're first statement is just ridiculous, not to mention childish. It's on their website; which means that they sanction the information. If they wanted it to say something different they have the right and the means to make it so. So, why don't they? Because it's the truth.
    PM9, CW9, TP45, and CW45...Not to mention the ones that my friends and family have and have had problems with, you can more than triple the previous number. The problems I experienced were as follows: failures to fire, feed, and extract. Stovepipes, double feeds, nosedives, and a live rounds coming up in a stovepipe position. So, I've plenty of experience with the brand and the vast majority has, unfortunately, been negative. And, it would seem that there have been many others that have had the same experience. Is that enough "personal experience" for you?
    LOL, What's ridiculous and childish is to continue buying Kahr pistols after having so many negative experiences with them. If you have a problem with dropping the slide with the slide release on a carry gun why did you buy so many guns made to be carried that instructed you to do so? Maybe if you had read the directions you may have been able to master these little guns. Most people learn from their mistakes.
    drewski1325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
    LOL, What's ridiculous and childish is to continue buying Kahr pistols after having so many negative experiences with them. If you have a problem with dropping the slide with the slide release on a carry gun why did you buy so many guns made to be carried that instructed you to do so? Maybe if you had read the directions you may have been able to master these little guns. Most people learn from their mistakes.
    Not that I owe you any explanations but, all were bought at the same time. So, I did learn my lesson and got rid of them and haven't looked back. Also, if you would have actually read the posts you would know that I never even mentioned that I had any problems with the fact that Kahr advises to use the slide release. That never even came up in any of my posts. Maybe you should stop trying to change other peoples' minds and justify the actions or (lack thereof of) of Kahr; and make yourself feel better about buying their pistols. Get over it and let it go, you'll get no further response from me.

What makes me feel better about buying Kahr pistols is that all 3 of mine have been flawless for thousands of rounds. I still think that following the directions would have alleviated most of your problems Crowbait.

Hey Franco45!

Hello Franco, I just stumbled on this thread while researching the Kahr CW 380 and saw all the back and forth.

I guess by now that you've realized that when anyone starts their diatribe with "I've heard that......" (which CROWBAIT did in his first post on this thread), that they porbably have never seen the weapon, much less fired or owned one, so it's a complete waste of time talking to them.

Anyway, all your points are salient (that means strikingly conspicuous Crowbait) and were appreciated.

I've read several writers that have opined that any defensive weapon should be fired at least 200 rounds to insure that the weapon that you're about to trust with you life with, is up to your individual expectations, and that this is what most gun manufacturers know, but are not willing to state publicly. But Kahr is honest enough to state this up front. We know, for example, there have been many problems with Glock Perfection, but Hey, that's the nature of innovation. I've no problem with research and development, we're the beneficieries in the long run, are we not?

I've had my Kahr P9 since they first came out and although I've only put about 500 rounds thru it, it has never had a hiccup, I trust it with my life. And if anyone in wondering if I'm just a Kahr lover at all costs, I'd say you'd have to jump over my G19, G23, G26, G36 (my favorite CCW) and my two Smith & Wesson 442s to make that claim.

Anyway Franco, enjoyed your postings, keep up the good work.

WLEEP

New Kahr CW380

I have own 4 Kahrs: mk9, p380, T9 and a K9. All ran great out of the box! I would not hesitate to buy another Kahr. I also own Glocks. The Kahrs are my favorite carry weapon. The glocks are great for HD.
    Last edited by phil413tx; March 9th, 2013 at 03:16 PM.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm a Kahr fan. Like them, own eight of them and think they're a neat, compact design that fits it's intended role perfectly. However, I find myself agreeing with much of what Crowbait said. I've never thought of Kahrs as "tight", needing breakin or any other pampering other than familiarity. Their design is different enough and they are small enough that they take some adjusting to in certain ways. They are not a perfect design, but rather a good design executed well, and push the envelope of foolproof operation due to the design. Tiny guns don't work for everyone.

If your Kahr needed a "proper prep", then something is wrong. If you do it because you want to... fine. IMHO the proper prep requirement has been way over hyped and pushed. It isn't something Kahr mandates, but rather a forum suggestion, a compilation of owner experiences. Kahr only asks you shoot 200 rounds before retuning the gun for a problem fix. I figure they hope that by then you'll have read the manual, familiarized yourself with the gun's qualities and self corrected many "problems".

As to the CW380, apparently they are not available in stores yet, but when they are they should be a hot seller. Same gun as the more expensive P380 as there are no mechanical differences.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I guess crow bait would never own one of those dollar 1911's that also tell you to shoot 200 rounds thru it to break them in ether. If whinners can read then buy something else. I allways felt the breakin from kahr was atleast as much for the pistols owner is the handgun. I own 3 of them and all have run fine for many thousands of rounds doing nothing more than I would do to any pistol. Any brand. No pre-racking ether. Treat them just like our m&p's, glocks , rugers and colts. I don't even treat revolvers much different. All my sides rack just like big boy guns. Probably more about owners breakin than pistol. My first kahr came from a digruntled very seasoned pistol shooter. Ran great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I'm a Kahr fan. Like them, own eight of them and think they're a neat, compact design that fits it's intended role perfectly. However, I find myself agreeing with much of what Crowbait said. I've never thought of Kahrs as "tight", needing breakin or any other pampering other than familiarity. Their design is different enough and they are small enough that they take some adjusting to in certain ways. They are not a perfect design, but rather a good design executed well, and push the envelope of foolproof operation due to the design. Tiny guns don't work for everyone.

If your Kahr needed a "proper prep", then something is wrong. If you do it because you want to... fine. IMHO the proper prep requirement has been way over hyped and pushed. It isn't something Kahr mandates, but rather a forum suggestion, a compilation of owner experiences. Kahr only asks you shoot 200 rounds before retuning the gun for a problem fix. I figure they hope that by then you'll have read the manual, familiarized yourself with the gun's qualities and self corrected many "problems".

As to the CW380, apparently they are not available in stores yet, but when they are they should be a hot seller. Same gun as the more expensive P380 as there are no mechanical differences.
    Very well said. I have never done the prep work on my Kahrs either. In fact the last one I bought, I took it directly to the range afterwards. I shot 200 rounds through it with only one FTE, which I think was my fault. They are smaller and take some getting used to. The only thing I think that needed breaking in was the slide being a little tight. After a few shots and a little getting used to, they are fine. I love my Kahrs. I think all of the prep work ahead of time is a little over kill.

We'll , as my luck would have it , I bought a Kahr cm 40 several days ago and have had nothing but trouble with it every time I shoot it. I've cleaned it several times. It's going back to the factory and then if its stills hangs up, it's sold. I'll never own another one ...

I just want to say Crowbait is perfectly entitled to his opinion. I don't buy into that kahr prep stuff. If I have had bad experiences with my Kahrs I would feel the same as him. My cw9 and pm9 have been great so far though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links