S&W 3" 686 Plus or Ruger 3 " GP100 Wiley Clapp?

This is a discussion on S&W 3" 686 Plus or Ruger 3 " GP100 Wiley Clapp? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I'm torn between these two. I like the fact that the Smith has the extra round, but I also like that the Ruger ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: S&W 3" 686 Plus or Ruger 3 " GP100 Wiley Clapp?

S&W 3" 686 Plus or Ruger 3 " GP100 Wiley Clapp?

Hi guys, I'm torn between these two. I like the fact that the Smith has the extra round, but I also like that the Ruger is built like a tank, the FO front sight for my old eyes, the finish, no IL and the nice grips. Reviews seem to be very good. I havent had a chance to hand the Wiley GP100 or even a GP100, but the Smith felt good and the trigger was good for a revolver. What's your take on these two. It will be my Winter/Fall carry (plus a speedloader) and I will also want to do a LE qualification course with them, so accuracy up to 25 yards is a factor as well as quick target acquisition and fast follow up shots. I will probably carry hot .357 loads, but may qualify with .38+P Buffalo. I will practice with both. Thanks

Product: Model 686 Plus

Google Image Result for http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-GP100WC/DSC00595.JPG
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That's a hard call both would be my top choice.

The 686 will most likely have a better trigger (it does against a stock Ruger, I don't know if the Capp has a trigger job).

The Ruger has better sights and would be faster at target acquisition.

I'd have to fondle both of them and compare price
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I just purchased a 686+ for home defense. I would not feel under gunned with the Ruger and they are an awesome weapon as well. Couldnt go wrong with either. If you hold them both, one will talk to you more than the other...honest.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Buy them both. Send the one you don't like to me! I'll love it for you.
    NativeTX likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

The Wiley, hands down

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, my next revolver will be the Wiley Clapp TALO .357 as it will give me a bigger platform for full-power .357 Magnum loads.

People who have bought both the 686 and Wiley GP100 say that the Ruger has a better action.

Once having a Taurus 7 shot .357 for a short while, it was a huge pain with speed loaders.
    That said:

I've also never had any good luck with Smith and Wessons, so I'm in the GP camp to begin with.

The fact that person can install a real deal Novak tritium front sight on the Wiley is also a plus in my book.

That big GP-100 grip will make shooting this stuff a lot more comfortable than my LCR.

Also be heavier to carry than a LCR, SP-101

or even my old Speed Six,But with superior sights.

but ultra cool in the eyes of Ruger fans.

The blued Wileys will be awesome to own and shoot as well if they ever produce enough of them.

Soo many guns, tooo little money!
    pgrass101 and JayHawker45 like this.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    LOVE me some older PRE-LOCK Smiths....BUT I can't do the IL models. My eyes go directly to that stupid lock. Anyway, I'd go with the GP100..the Wiley Clapp. Just my $.02
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've never had a Ruger fall off a table (yet) but know of Smiths with locks that have done so and frozen up.

My last S&W revolver froze up on me after only 5 rounds of standard 38 Special ammo.

My Dealer took care of me by giving me a full refund. I bought a Ruger with the money!

Similar bad luck with Rossi and Taurus as well.

www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

And now for something completely different...

A die-hard Smith & Wesson fan here who asserts that Rugers aren't built like tanks (but they are clunky) and the Smith & Wesson will be the smoother revolver.

Amended to state that only no-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers need apply. Lock models are baggage.
    C hawk Glock, NativeTX and SIXTO like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Having both a S&W 65 and a Ruger Speed Six, the 65 is a much better shooting gun.

But if the choice is between a New 686+ and a WC Ruger, I'd probably go with the Ruger.

Now if I could get a 3" S&W 65 or 13, that would be my ideal carry gun
    nechaev and tdave like this.

If held to choosing between a new Smith & Wesson with an unmodified lock on board and a new Ruger I'd take the Ruger. I'd rather hold my nose and get the Smith & Wesson and just disable the lock.

You raise a good point, pgrass101. New products versus used products.

I see no Ruger double-action revolvers in my personal future. I'm also unwilling to acquire a Smith & Wesson revolver having a lock.

For me, the answer is to take advantage of fine used examples of classic Smith & Wesson models.

This doesn't provide the answer for the person who is reluctant to purchase a used firearm.

You are 100% correct in your notion of the ideal carry .357 Magnum revolver, a 3-inch Smith & Wesson Model 13 or 65. Everything you need and nothing you don't need in a very compact, slick, and shoot-able package. My brother-in-law left a 3-inch Model 13 here just to torment me last time he was in. I'm going to have to have one.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I guess Ive missed it, what is the lock-no lock you are refering too?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
    I guess Ive missed it, what is the lock-no lock you are refering too?
    It is a internal locking mechanism to prevent the revolver from firing if the locked is turned.

See Massad Ayoob » Blog Archive » INTERNAL GUN LOCKS

Just as others have mentioned... I love the pre-lock Smiths, but would not even consider a new Smith with the lock for any defense use. In your limited choice, I'd take the Wiley in a heartbeat. I also happen to have, among some great S&W revolvers, this 3" GP100 which I have found to be a superb choice for a defense revolver. And with a minimal amount of polishing, it has a superb trigger pull.

Go for the Clapp!
    NativeTX, Eric357 and BigJon10125 like this.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You are 100% correct in your notion of the ideal carry .357 Magnum revolver, a 3-inch Smith & Wesson Model 13 or 65. Everything you need and nothing you don't need in a very compact, slick, and shoot-able package. My brother-in-law left a 3-inch Model 13 here just to torment me last time he was in. I'm going to have to have one.
    I wouldn't hesitate in buying a used 3" 13 or 65. I have two of the 13 and a 65, all with 3" barrels, and they're awesome guns.

To the OP... If you can find a decent looking 3" 13 or 65, I would encourage you to snap it right up!
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links