ParaOrdnance 12.45 LDA-- gettin' the issues out one by one

ParaOrdnance 12.45 LDA-- gettin' the issues out one by one

This is a discussion on ParaOrdnance 12.45 LDA-- gettin' the issues out one by one within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last 2 to 3 months, I have been looking for a large caliber handgun (to replace the one I have) for conceal carry. ...

Thread: ParaOrdnance 12.45 LDA-- gettin' the issues out one by one

Talking ParaOrdnance 12.45 LDA-- gettin' the issues out one by one

For the last 2 to 3 months, I have been looking for a large caliber handgun (to replace the one I have) for conceal carry. I found the Glock model 30 and 36 and Smiths' model 325PD.
    I kept complaining about weight but that really wasn't the issue. I can handle the weight. When I bought the para, its first issue was the extractor. So I replaced that. Now it shoots like a dream. Kaboom ! Kaboom ! Kaboom ! As fast as I can pull the trigger. Every once in a while it will FTF or FTE, so after putting alot of rounds through her, I decided to replace the recoil and magazine springs. That will take care of that. The last issue I have been dealing with for a while and it really bugged me. In fact it would bug anyone who owned the little piece. Accuracy. I have read that I'm not the only one who has accuracy problems in large bore short barrelled semi-auto handguns, and I thought it was the nature of the beast. I just couldn't hit with the darn thing at 7 to 10 yards. I recently just found out the rear sight is off a tad. DuH ! If I aim to the right about 3 inches off center, I get bullseye.
    So....that said I can get on with life with the para. The Glocks were attractive. Especially the 36. The grip still felt a little funky. I will still bet a dime to a dollar that the para has a more comfortable grip and shot. I'm really happy no one wanted to purchase her. Alot of people don't know what they are missing from Para.
    In a few months, the next step is to put on XS big dot tritium sights.
    The dark side almost won out.....
    Last edited by artz; October 22nd, 2006 at 02:25 PM.

I'm STILL seriously thinking about a Para TAC-4. For the Glock 30 it wasn't the weight it was the blocky grip. Even a grip reduction by ROBAR didn't help a lot. So I sold that to my nephew. But that TAC-4 feels great! My problem is with the LDA system. Seems fragile, to me. Also Paras are known for weak springs throughout the system. Recoil springs, mag springs, mainsprings....they all go poof! very quickly. Extraction was also a problem for older Paras. Supposedly the new POWER Extractor solved the problem in that arena. Is yours a pre-POWER extractor version? If not, then I'm going to take another glance at reliability. FTE/FTF's are wholly unacceptable in a carry gun!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

They can be challenging.........

I had a Para LDA C7.45 for a few years.....
    First it would not work with the Para mags.....I used Wilsons. Para sent me new mags, they still did not work right...stuck to Wilsons.
    Had a recoil spring crap out on me during a qualitication shoot...managed to make it through.....
    Once I got the sights adjusted, the little thing was very accurate.
    Never had a problem with the LDA system, it was a sweet trigger.
    A friend had a P-12 that he had nothing but bad luck with...mag springs mostly.
    I got the Para because a job mandated DAO or DA w/decocker....and I prefer 1911's.
    Sold the Para....as I was allowed to carry my 'real' 1911.
    Current job....does not like C&L or .45's....got a XD .40. Now they allow .45's but still no C&L.....may get an XD .45 next.
    The XD's are great!! No more Para's for me.
    Had a Glock 30, 17, 19 too.....Glocks work...but they do not fit my hand and they be too chunky(especially the .45) for my tastes.
    I only use the XD at work.....I still carry my CCO for CCW.

When I bought the gun, it was used. It is a pre-power extractor model. I have no idea how many rounds went thru the gun before I got her. I agree that FTF/FTE's are unacceptable in a carry gun due to getting its owner killed. You have to replace the recoil springs so often as in any semi-auto. Replacing the mag springs are just a given in the Para.
    The LDA system has really impressed me. It hasn't hiccupped once. I'm sold.

VIP Member
    Arthur, glad you and the Para worked out your differences. I really enjoyed shooting it and could tell that you really liked it and wanted to get it so you could keep it.

By the way the 1066 is still performing like a dream. I may yet make it a carry piece. I really like everything about it. Thanks.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    My girl had a Para LDA. worked fine for her, but after she traded it to a friend of mine, he had some issues. The slide release would fall out and the trigger would not always reset . He did get it fixed, but has not trusted it since.
    The internals also look a bit fragile , complex to me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Para

One thing to consider with a Para is that the factory sights leave a lot to be desired. I've got a P-16 .40 that I shoot in IPSC and IDPA and have had problems with the rear sight. Every couple of matches I'll start shooting erratically, and when I get home, the set screws are loose and the rear sight's moving around. A friend had the same problem to a larger degree with his P16, his rear sight broke 3 times,and Para replaced them. The 4th time he replaced them with Bomars. My newest carry gun is a CCW(C45 LDA) that I immediatley changed from factory sights to 24/7 Express sights. If you change the sights yourself, make sure you don't lose the spring for the trigger Block> That little bugger can fly when the back sight comes off.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelgunner88 View Post
    If you change the sights yourself, make sure you don't lose the spring for the trigger Block> That little bugger can fly when the back sight comes off.
    True...I learned that lesson changing sights on a GP100.
    The front big dot sight is gonna require a professional to install, so I might as well let him do it right... Besides Hamilton Bowen recommended him highly, and luck has it, he lives here, in Georgia.

Sponsored Links