In Search of the Golden Fleece

This is a discussion on In Search of the Golden Fleece within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I have determined that I am addicted to stainless steel wheelguns! Long story short, I've always been a semiauto fanatic, Sigs and a CZ ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JayHawker45
  • 1 Post By JayHawker45
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: In Search of the Golden Fleece

Well, I have determined that I am addicted to stainless steel wheelguns! Long story short, I've always been a semiauto fanatic, Sigs and a CZ or two thrown into the mix. That all changed over Christmas, I ordered and got my Ruger Sp 101 with a 3 inch barrel in and it has caused me to rethink my whole outlook on my daily carry firearms.

What's so bad about that you may ask. Well, after much reading and research, I discovered, what for me, amounted to my Golden Fleece. I started seeing the elusive GP100 Wiley Clapp revolver on various boards; in all sorts of reviews and then those images on the net--taunting me, like the Great White Whale that eluded and taunted Ahab!

Everywhere I went, called or visited on the net, the same story, "we ain't got one of those and I can't tell you if we'll ever get more in." Of course, this increases geometrically the desire to acquire the Wiley Clapp (pun intended).

Late last night as I'm doing one last google search before hitting the rack, thar be the object of my endless searching! A dealer in Texas had 3 of the elusive Wiley Clapps on hand! Needless to say, I pounced on that without thinking twice! What's scary is that this is almost midnight when I'm finishing up my searches for the evening and before I even finished completing the order, the store is showing that they are sold out of all 3 Wiley Clapps. Luckily my order hit and I had confirmation--so, now, my SP101 has a big brother on the way, sometime next week, a big dose of the Wiley Clapp will be hitting my FFL. And you know what, that's one sickness I'm not at all worried about!
    Last edited by JayHawker45; January 18th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Congrats on the Wiley Clapp. I have been giving that one some serious consideration myself. Also, over the past couple years I have been finding myself drooling over revolvers much more often than semi's. My prized possession is a six inch Python which, although it's a great gun, I would have never given a second thought of just a few years ago. The problem is that although I have a new found love of revolvers, I still really like semi's as well, so now I can't go into a LGS without being severely tempted to take something home with me.

I know what you mean, I still enjoy semis a great deal, but the revolvers are really having an effect on me right now. I have the same problem, going into a shop and even though I'm looking for a particular revolver, I'm drawn to the semi cases and am sorely tempted to adopt one!
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.

Congrats on you aquistition!!!!! I too have a Ruger SP101 with a 2 1/2 in. barrel. I love it but wish I'd gotten at least a 3 in. barrel. However, I still think you should continue to use a semi-auto for your concealed carry, only because of the rounds you'll have available. I keep my Ruger under the bed, loaded and ready...next to my 12 gauge. However, my concealed carry is a Glock 30 (subcompact, but the same size as a compact, .45 cal., 10 rounds...I'm waiting on my custom holster, so I can use my TLR-4...light and laser). Just my .02
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    So your quest is completed.

Or is it?

Maybe the quest is just beginng.

Beware of the Pony ....

The Golden Fleece Arrived!

Well, I got a big case of the Clapp today! I know, horrible joke, but I couldn't resist the sophomoric pun. Anyway, my GP100 Wiley Clapp edition arrived Tuesday to my FFL and I picked it up today. The GP100 is even more of a tank than the SP101s are, I know, bigger frame all around. But the GP100 just "feels" more massive. I should say it feels SOLID, honestly, just doing some dry firing after cleaning, it feels more like an extension of my hand. I was impressed with fit and finish. The action was quite a bit more smooth than I anticipated, in double action, the trigger didn't feel excessively heavy at all, single action was extremely crisp. It feels almost as if Ruger or TALO "tweaked" the action a bit. Overall impressions is that this is one hell of a pistol, now, if we can get above freezing, I'll get it out to the range and see how it shoots!

Olduser likes this.

The quest is finished...

Captain Ahab finds Moby Dick.

JayHawker45 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My Golden Fleece was the M&P Shield. Fortunately for me, I have a great shop and some friends that work there, and though I certainly don't have enough cachet to pull any strings, I am close enough to have had one vouch for me when I happened to be at the right place at the right time. My Shield didn't even have to make it out to the sales floor. Pick it up tomorrow. :). Have fun with that revolver. It's pretty.

Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by DesignDawg View Post
    My Golden Fleece was the M&P Shield. Fortunately for me, I have a great shop and some friends that work there, and though I certainly don't have enough cachet to pull any strings, I am close enough to have had one vouch for me when I happened to be at the right place at the right time. My Shield didn't even have to make it out to the sales floor. Pick it up tomorrow. :). Have fun with that revolver. It's pretty.

Ricky
    My contact at our FFL told me point blank that he would not be able to get the Wiley Clapp in, that I'd have to search the internet, so that became the obsession for a few weeks, calling, visiting and honing my google fu skills.

Enjoy your Shield, I've heard A LOT of good things about them!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Same sickness here.

A dose of TALO WC is what I need (arriving on Sat) until I get more money for a TALO SP-101.

Until then.. I'm stick with this:

TALO SP101...what is it that you speak of Sir? I did not know such an animal existed!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    TALO SP101...what is it that you speak of Sir? I did not know such an animal existed!

I've seen photos of a Talo engraved SP101, ornate isn't the word. It is a work of art! It reminds me of some of the "old timey" revolvers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=talo...Aef3d8dosevAM:

Sponsor
    I got to drool on a Talo SP101 the other day. Aside from being a beautifully ornate piece of steel, the trigger is spectacular and this revolver has gone to the top of my next purchase list. And I'm not even a big revolver fan!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member
    Congrats on the WC. Great looking guns.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

Links