First Handgun

This is a discussion on First Handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BigHoss Well after reading and talking to more people that have shot the 340 I'm not going to get it as my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by BigHoss View Post
    Well after reading and talking to more people that have shot the 340 I'm not going to get it as my frist gun. Thanks for all the input here it really helped me out. I looked at the glocks but didn't like the way they felt in my hand. I did how ever like the ruger SR9C and put it on layaway.
    No problem not liking a Glock in the hand...look at a S&W M&P, Springfield XD, or other combat handgun.

2. Remove Ads

I did look at the the M&P's but The place that I had the other gun on layaway didn't have one. Maybe this summer I'll get one of those also.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I for one love my Ruger sp101 in 3 inch barrel. It is a sweet shooter. A very accurate gun. I'm a newbie so I will tread carefully. I always here people talk about the lack of rounds in a revolver, but honestly I hink this is over rated. I dont think the BG is going to be standing there counting how many shots you have fire. I'm not against semi autos. I currently have one on layaway in .40cal. But if a revolver feels right in your hand dont be afraid to get it. Just whatever you get learn to shoot it well.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHoss View Post
    Hi all I'm new here. I'm going to buy my frist hand gun. This will be a gun that I'm going to carry. I'm looking at a used S&W 340sc airlite in .357 mag. But I've read that it kicks like a mule. How bad does it really kick? I'm also looking at a new S&W SD40 VE any one have one of these and how do you like them? I like going out back and shoting my shotguns and rifles all day and would like a hand gun I could do the same with.
    Ever shot .357 before? Try it and see if you like it first.

Px4 Storm
    Bottom line

check it out if you have'nt already..
    My first handgun was a .22LR U22 Neos
    But my big caliber defensive/carry gun was the Px4 Storm Full Size type F in .40S&W
    Couldnt tell you enough good things about it,as you will also find out if you look at reviews or try it out yourself..
    Just an option to look at.

Funny thing, I was just looking at the storm. It looks good. I might have to check it out a little more.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Thats very interesting me and my wife have been talking about the compact storm the past few days. It reall ycaught her eye.

I grew up shooting my Dad's Colt 1911 and my first handgun purchase was a Glock 19. I'd say get a Glock 19. Very mild recoil, easy maintenance, and plentiful ammo.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

As others have stated the best thing to do is rent some guns. So try and rent a SR9C to see if it meets your expectations. Good luck to you in your search for your first handgun.

GH
    I have a S&W Sigma 40VE which shoots like a well tuned machine. My friend likes it so much that he wants to pay me exactly what I have in it, $300. They're no longer available - replaced by the SD 40VE. I've ordered an M&P 40C which my son , a Police Officer recommended I buy. His department uses the M&P 40 full sized pistol & although both of us are Glock guys he favors the M&P a bit more & they're cheaper. I get a good LEO/security/military discount. The big problem is I have to wait until the gun shop gets a restock. As long as I have the Sigma I can wait. The Sigma is almost a clone of the Glock 23, the gun I gave my son. I believe the SD 40VE is very similar.

Both the Sigma & M&P 40C can use replacement barrels in 9MM (9MM mags required) & the 40C can use a .357 sig barrel (.40 cal mags work). I expect you could get a 9MM barrel for the SD & a spare mag & save some ammo money at the range.

Good luck in making a decision.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links