Any thoughts on XD-subcompact VS Glock 26 ?? - Page 2

Any thoughts on XD-subcompact VS Glock 26 ??

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on XD-subcompact VS Glock 26 ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The grip safety was one of my main reasons for purchasing the XD Subcompact. I love it. Agreed, it takes a bit of practice and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on XD-subcompact VS Glock 26 ??

The grip safety was one of my main reasons for purchasing the XD Subcompact. I love it. Agreed, it takes a bit of practice and forethought to remember to squeeze the grip, but has never been a problem with me, and I might add I have the 9, and it's extremely accurate. Gets better with more practice.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    It is like asking whether you like brownies or chocolate chip cookies. Both are good. But you have to rely on what works best for you.
    Is that fudge brownies and soft chew chocolate chip...if so both will be just fine.......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Thanks for that bit of info...I was curious about the grip safety thingy....never had one...not sure I like the idea.....thinking on it....
    Ok, I'll chime in here as well because the grip safety became a point of a lengthy debate between myself and a firearm's instructor. He didn't like them because of the grip safety and I didn't think it could possibly make enough difference to be a consideration...

I spent two days doing various unusual circumstance drills and I could only get the grip safety to not allow the pistol to fire under a few conditions. I'm talking odd stuff like weak hand shots from a prone position after picking the gun up off the ground. Fairly out of the ordinary types of scenarios, and never was it an "all the time" situation... He was, however, correct that given just the right odd set of circumstances, the grip safety could be a liability.

My bottom line on it is this: I wouldn't have ruled the XD out solely because of the grip safety, but as in my case, I was buying a new gun anyway because I wanted to switch calibers, so I chose to try something that didn't have that potential.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Ok, I'll chime in here as well because the grip safety became a point of a lengthy debate between myself and a firearm's instructor. He didn't like them because of the grip safety and I didn't think it could possibly make enough difference to be a consideration...

I spent two days doing various unusual circumstance drills and I could only get the grip safety to not allow the pistol to fire under a few conditions. I'm talking odd stuff like weak hand shots from a prone position after picking the gun up off the ground. Fairly out of the ordinary types of scenarios, and never was it an "all the time" situation... He was, however, correct that given just the right odd set of circumstances, the grip safety could be a liability.

My bottom line on it is this: I wouldn't have ruled the XD out solely because of the grip safety, but as in my case, I was buying a new gun anyway because I wanted to switch calibers, so I chose to try something that didn't have that potential.
    I'll agree with this. Like I said before I never had to consciously think about the grip safety, nor did it ever stop me from pulling the trigger. It could be the size or shape of my friends hand, I don't know. But after seeing it cause problems in slow paced range firing, I made the personal decision that I would not trust it as a carry gun. Love the gun, but I feel it could be an issue in a quick draw situation.

Maybe I'm paranoid, and it probably wouldn't ever be an issue, but that's my opinion. Take it as the grain of salt it's worth. I'm glad to see that people aren't having trouble with them because again, I loved the way it shot.

I have the XD-40 SC and love it. In fact I love it so much, I bought 4! Not sure about the differences in 9mm but its probably a gun I would like as well. Personally, I see both guns as a great choice. Go to a shop that rents them and try both. Ot better yet, buy em both.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I have the XD 9 service model and I love the gun. Never had an issue with the grip safety. Never even notice it. If you grip the gun correctly, you won't even notice it is there/ I also liked the cocking indicator and the loaded chamber indicator. Shhots better than I do. Never have any hiccups with all the different ammo I put through it. I am sure you can say the same thing about the glocks.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've shot both and bought the XD40sc. It fit my hand better and I shot it better. It has been my primary EDC for 3-4 years. Very accurate shooter. Great trigger. The g27 grip hit my strong hand wrong and was uncomfortable to shoot. It comes down to personal preference and fit. Both are good weapons.
    I'll second this description, XD40SC is my EDC and I love it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I shot both and went with the XDsc9. For me it was personal preference in how each felt. I've never had a problem with the grip safety - never had it not go bang because of it.
    BugDude and Cez like this.

The only XD platform I have is .45 service model.
    Great gun. Must have over 1K rounds thru it. No failures. No issues with safety.
    However for a carry piece, I prefer Glock.
    Purchased a Gen4 G26 last year.
    It is incredible. Very accurate. Easy to conceal all year round. I have a Remora and a White Hat Maxtuck for it.
    I installed these on the 10 round mags to enable a more secure draw from the holster.
    P R O D U C T S
    Makes a big difference.
    For spare mags, I use G19.
    Good luck finding them for less than $40 a piece right now. But that is the case for most magazines.

VIP Member
    I love my G-26 but it may not fit in your hand. You need to compare side by side to decide.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Recently got the XDM 9 C

My thoughts on the grip safety are pretty straight forward. If I do not have a proper grip on the handgun I probably should not be squeezing off a shot. I own every round I send downrange. I also like the option to disengage the grip safety for reholstering.

I picked up a XD9sc this past summer and it's now pretty much my primary OWB. Like others have said, I don't even notice the grip safety being there. It's a great pistol and packs a lot of rounds for it's size.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'll second this description, XD40SC is my EDC and I love it.
    XD40SC is my EDC. Love it. It doesn't print with my Sticky holster and I forget I have it on me.

Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

Owned the XD subcompact. Have shot the Glock 26 several times.

I would go with the G26. It is lighter, the overall weight of the gun is more evenly distributed, and has a much better trigger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links