Any thoughts on XD-subcompact VS Glock 26 ??

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on XD-subcompact VS Glock 26 ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was in the process of obtaining a G-26 in the next 3 weeks, however this XD subcompact 9 has caught a twinkle in my eye...As ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on XD-subcompact VS Glock 26 ??

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Was in the process of obtaining a G-26 in the next 3 weeks, however this XD subcompact 9 has caught a twinkle in my eye...As I have no experience with or any really detailed knowledge of the XD what do i need to know here?

Thanks
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carried an XD sub .40 for a while. What would you like to know about them?

The XD sub is a little larger and heavier than the G26, to the point where I think it's actually more comparable to the G19.

Mine was very accurate for a 3" barrel, never had any jams or other issues. My grip did cause the slide lock to not engage sometimes, but that's obviously me, not it. I think the trigger was pretty good, no better or worse than my Glock.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I carried an XD sub .40 for a while. What would you like to know about them?

The XD sub is a little larger and heavier than the G26, to the point where I think it's actually more comparable to the G19.

Mine was very accurate for a 3" barrel, never had any jams or other issues. My grip did cause the slide lock to not engage sometimes, but that's obviously me, not it. I think the trigger was pretty good, no better or worse than my Glock.
    Thanks, I was really interested in the trigger pull as compared to the 26...if it was about the same or had more play..also the accuracy..
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Thanks, I was really interested in the trigger pull as compared to the 26...if it was about the same or had more play..also the accuracy..
    It's a little different, but I can't honestly say it was much different. It's been about a year since I shot one, so I can't really remember the fine details of how it felt, but I didn't have a huge learning curve when I switched to the Glock, so it couldn't have been that different. It's fine for accuracy.
    NRA Life Member

I like full size Glocks fine. Didn't seem to appreciate their grip in subcompact size. Personal choice.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I was looking at these two myself and liked the grip safety on the XD...but I just couldn't get past the high bore axis on the Springfield sub-compacts. I thought it would make for more muzzle flip.

I ended up with the G26 and with limited shooting with it so far (ammo is so hard to come by) its shot well for me. I've enjoyed it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I was looking at these two myself and liked the grip safety on the XD...but I just couldn't get past the high bore axis on the Springfield sub-compacts. I thought it would make for more muzzle flip.

I ended up with the G26 and with limited shooting with it so far (ammo is so hard to come by) its shot well for me. I've enjoyed it.
    Yes, it does have a higher bore axis but in 9mm, assuming you have a proper grip, the change in bore axis shouldn't make that much difference.
    NRA Life Member

I found a significant difference in muzzle flip between my XDM and G26. Glock seemed faster to recover from. I also had a few problems clearing chamber in trying to work with the grip safety. Sold the XDM9, still have XDM45, but don't shoot it much.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I've shot both and bought the XD40sc. It fit my hand better and I shot it better. It has been my primary EDC for 3-4 years. Very accurate shooter. Great trigger. The g27 grip hit my strong hand wrong and was uncomfortable to shoot. It comes down to personal preference and fit. Both are good weapons.
    Lish likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think a lot of the Glock grip issue will change for many with the Gen 4 adjustable grips. I test fired a Gen 3 before buying my Gen 4 and there is a difference. The Gen 4 is more comfortable for me.

TX expat-
    The muzzle flip in a 9mm would definitely be easier to deal with than a .40 or .45 but I was thinking with a sub-compact anything that would help prevent muzzle flip would be worth considering.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I carry a XDsc 9 EDC sometimes two, mirror AIWB. I don't like any gun for primary gun to have shorter grip than what I can get all fingers on. The XDsc with the finger extension works for me.

If I was just starting to CC (knowing now what I know on CC guns) I would buy a Glock 19, learn to love it, and never look back.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I think a lot of the Glock grip issue will change for many with the Gen 4 adjustable grips. I test fired a Gen 3 before buying my Gen 4 and there is a difference. The Gen 4 is more comfortable for me.

TX expat-
    The muzzle flip in a 9mm would definitely be easier to deal with than a .40 or .45 but I was thinking with a sub-compact anything that would help prevent muzzle flip would be worth considering.
    Yeah, I agree. In the .40 cal it was fairly noticeable. That's one of the main reasons I moved to a 9mm. My other .40 was easier to get back on target, although it is a full frame pistol, so it has two factors working for it.
    NRA Life Member

I'm not a fan of the XDs grip safety. I have seen numerous times where my friend (xds 45) failed to ire because his hand wasnt just right on the grip. Absolutely love shooting the gun, but if it were a SD or CCW, I'd have to see the gun not fire because my hand wasnt exactly right.

In its defense, I never had this trouble, but I did see the gun owner dip the barrel, anticipating recoil, with no shot because of the grip safety

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the XDs grip safety. I have seen numerous times where my friend (xds 45) failed to ire because his hand wasnt just right on the grip. Absolutely love shooting the gun, but if it were a SD or CCW, I'd have to see the gun not fire because my hand wasnt exactly right.

In its defense, I never had this trouble, but I did see the gun owner dip the barrel, anticipating recoil, with no shot because of the grip safety
    Thanks for that bit of info...I was curious about the grip safety thingy....never had one...not sure I like the idea.....thinking on it....

It is like asking whether you like brownies or chocolate chip cookies. Both are good. But you have to rely on what works best for you.
    foxytwo likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links