Is anyone familiar with SCCY firearms? - Page 2

Is anyone familiar with SCCY firearms?

This is a discussion on Is anyone familiar with SCCY firearms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mamaxwell Quote It's the 21st Century Saturday Night Special...semi-auto style. The SCCY is a $250 pistol. What do you expect? It's cheap ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is anyone familiar with SCCY firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    Quote It's the 21st Century Saturday Night Special...semi-auto style. The SCCY is a $250 pistol. What do you expect? It's cheap in more ways than one. Quote.

Question is have you ever owned one? I have a second gen CPX2 and have over 2000 rds through it without a hitch definetly put it in a class above Kel Tec. I also own a Detonics MC1 Combat Master, a Ruger SR9c and several others. I get tired of Gun Snobs who have no experence with a firearm cutting them down. Oh I also own a Taurus Public Defender Poly.
    Gun snob? No. I just don't waste my money on what's obviously junk. I gave Taurus more than a fair shake over the years and was disappointed each and every time I owned one. Not saying there aren't individual Taurus guns that have no problems; they're just few and far between.
    I work part time at a gun shop and the overwhelming majority of guns we get back for warranty repair are Taurus. This is not my opinion, just a fact. It's got to the point where I cringe every time someone asks to see a Taurus. If you have a Taurus firearm that has had no problems then you beat the odds and good for you.

Quote It's the 21st Century Saturday Night Special...semi-auto style. The SCCY is a $250 pistol. What do you expect? It's cheap in more ways than one. Quote.

Question is have you ever owned one? I have a second gen CPX2 and have over 2000 rds through it without a hitch definetly put it in a class above Kel Tec. I also own a Detonics MC1 Combat Master, a Ruger SR9c and several others. I get tired of Gun Snobs who have no experence with a firearm cutting them down. Oh I also own a Taurus Public Defender Poly.
    No, I have never owned one and never will. One of my coworkers bought one a few weeks ago. It feels like toy and has a horrible trigger. He says it shoots decently, but doesn't rave about it. He's satisfied with it as a $250 pistol, but knows what it is. A cheap gun. To me, my life and that of my wife are worth more than $250.

Most people who buy these lower end guns have to justify the purchase in their minds to soothe their ego. They will never say the gun is a POS since that would make them look bad in the eyes of their peers. When you see glowing reports of a junk gun like a Taurus just take it with a grain of salt.

Think what you please that is your right. I personally buy what I like. I have some really expensive guns and some not so expensive. It is funny how a new weapon comes on the market and gets bad reviews so it is always going to be a POS (In your words). If so I would have given up on glocks when they first came out in the 80's on the first day the rear sight broke off no cusomer service back them to send it in to the LGS had to fix it and I believe I paid $250 for the POS. So I guess with the price increase and all the glowing reviews now Glock is a top of the line firearm. Maybe SCCY should raise their prices to $400+ then maybe it will move into gun snob status you so badly want to be in. Oh by the way I own a gun shop not just work for one. Have a great day.

Personally, I don't care for Glocks either. Again, it feels like a toy and the grip angle is all wrong for me.

GH
    I understand that SCCY has greatly improved the CPX. The CPX 1s were junk in many cases, the CPX 2 much better & the newer versions a lot of bang for the buck. All of the fixes they sent to their customers or did themselves were incorporated in the new ones. I'm not a big proponent of using customers as the quality control department but as long as those customers are listened to & improvements are acted on I guess I'm OK with that.

I almost bought one but was able to save enough money to buy something bigger, not necessarily better, in .40sw. I don't think I'd hesitate buying one as a BUG.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Think what you please that is your right. I personally buy what I like. I have some really expensive guns and some not so expensive. It is funny how a new weapon comes on the market and gets bad reviews so it is always going to be a POS (In your words). If so I would have given up on glocks when they first came out in the 80's on the first day the rear sight broke off no cusomer service back them to send it in to the LGS had to fix it and I believe I paid $250 for the POS. So I guess with the price increase and all the glowing reviews now Glock is a top of the line firearm. Maybe SCCY should raise their prices to $400+ then maybe it will move into gun snob status you so badly want to be in. Oh by the way I own a gun shop not just work for one. Have a great day.
    Your argument makes no sense. Taurus firearms have been out for decades and their quality control still stinks. Glock had teething problems initially but worked them out and are now one of the most reliable guns you can buy. Taurus? Possibly even worse than when they started.
    Once again this is not my opinion, just fact. I work for the largest firearms retailer in the country (it's not Walmart) and I probably sell more guns in one month than you do in a year. The majority of warranty repair work we take in is for Taurus by a big margin and the smaller the gun the worse it is (PT-22) .
    You can call me a gun snob if you like but that does not negate the fact that Taurus and others in the same price range are garbage, plain and simple.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.

Gun snob? Well, if it's not a 1911 it's not a...wait uh...ok you got me.

No seriously. Cheap guns are cheap guns. You know a Glock's reliability record (not including new Gen 3 and 4 9mm issues). You know the XD and M&P are reliable, Sigs, HK etc. More expensive? Yeah but you know their record for quality. Your life is worth more than taking the chance on a $250 gun no?

So what if Glocks had issues in the 80s? They have been one of, if not the most recommended and reliable pistols for over 2 decades since.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Gun snob? Well, if it's not a 1911 it's not a...wait uh...ok you got me.

No seriously. Cheap guns are cheap guns. You know a Glock's reliability record (not including new Gen 3 and 4 9mm issues). You know the XD and M&P are reliable, Sigs, HK etc. More expensive? Yeah but you know their record for quality. Your life is worth more than taking the chance on a $250 gun no?

So what if Glocks had issues in the 80s? They have been one of, if not the most recommended and reliable pistols for over 2 decades since.
    cmdrdredd: My point was Glock had issues when they started and seem to still have issues with gen 3 and 4. But for the most part they fixed they fixed the issues, and back then they were inexpensive compaired to Colt and S&W. And now as you state:" They have been one of, if not the most recommended and reliable pistols for over 2 decades since" So my point is SCCY started off and had issues but and now they have made corrections and conducted R&D to fix issues and the guns are much more reliable that is my point.

Pontificator: As far as Taurus goes I sell more M85 revolvers then most other firearms, I would say due to the inexpensive price for CC. I have had very few come back so I don't know who you work for but I personally don't have that many issues with Taurus. Pontificator stated: "I work for the largest firearms retailer in the country (it's not Walmart) and I probably sell more guns in one month than you do in a year". The company maybe you I doubt with that kind of additude I would have sent you packing a long time ago. Have a great day.

Administrator
    OK enough is enough. Anyone with an attitude will be sent packing ASAP no matter what size gun shop they run/own/work for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Tell your friend to buy a used Ruger. That should fill his need for about the same money.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

At SIXTO Thank you

Just my 2 cents, but i have a CPX-2. Had it about a year and have shot about 500 rounds through it. no issues to date. I agree that the trigger pull is long, but no worse than my other DAO pistols. I also own a Glock,Kel Tec,Walther in various calibers. It is a very good small 9mm pistol that is very reasonably priced. I also buy what i like based on feel and the particular need that i want that fire arm to fill( i have 32 total firearms). While i would not rate the Sccy as the greatest pistol ever made, i also think it is very far from a POS. If I thought it was a POS i would not be afraid to say so to keep other potential buyers from making the same mistake.

It is a gun that seems to fit a niche. I had to look it up as I had never heard of it. IMO the one I saw isn't too much uglier than the Ruger SR series. It is what it is.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Had one; too snappy; sold it. Very happy with my Taurus PT 709 Slim.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links