Is anyone familiar with SCCY firearms?

This is a discussion on Is anyone familiar with SCCY firearms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine,is looking into buying his 1st firearm.He asked me,if SCCY was a good one to buy.I'm familiar with firearms,but not this one.Just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is anyone familiar with SCCY firearms?

A friend of mine,is looking into buying his 1st firearm.He asked me,if SCCY was a good one to buy.I'm familiar with firearms,but not this one.Just looking for opinions on this brand.Thanks.

Decent...

Lifetime warranty and excellent service...

Problem is I've had to use it (their service) twice!

Out of 100 rounds I usually get 4 or 5 light strikes...

They sent me a new hammer and spring kit in the mail, I just haven't gotten around to putting it on yet.

Other problem was the connector bar kept wedging in the frame (new part solved this) and the front sight fell off.

I would recommend as a plinker, but nothing else...

And you can find better toys in the used counter at your LGS.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Administrator
    I wouldnt buy one with your or your friends money let alone my own.
    Rock and Glock and sixgun like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Kinda what i was thinking.I know there are so many firearms out there,and i have asked and read about them for a few yrs.I was wondering about the sccy.There are 4 gun shops locally i go to a good bit,and ive never a sccy in any of them for sale.

Cheap money, great CS, but too snappy for my taste!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have a friend who works for them. I used to work at an indoor range with him, now he works for SCCY. I was able to test a dozen of their new pistols when he brought them in for us to try. I couldn't make them fail even when I tried limp wristing and shooting upside down weak hand only. I started off skeptical but I do think they are currently putting out good quality pistols. The only problem I had was a pinch on my finger from a sharp piece of plastic during a mag change. One mag had a little extra plastic that I removed with a pocket knife. Right now I think the manufacturing quality is equal to the Kel Tec, with the only disadvantage being the SCCY uses a propriatary magazine instead of the ultra common 59-69 series mags the KT uses.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Guy at work bought one. He hasn't fired it yet. Hopefully it works well for him.

I had previously mentioned my wife has a Glock 19 when he had talked to me before about getting his CPL and was looking for a 9mm. After telling me today that he had bought the SCCY instead he went on to state that with Glock "you're paying for the name". We'll see...

Have a SCCY CPX 2. Put 500 rounds through it already - not a single failure to eject or fire. Most comfortable "smaller" pistol I own. I now use it as my carry gun.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Yes, I had the CPX1, never a problem. a product from the Gunshine state.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I've owned SCCY's. Never again. Do a search for "SCCY".

The SCCY is a $250 pistol. What do you expect? It's cheap in more ways than one.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    The SCCY is a $250 pistol. What do you expect? It's cheap in more ways than one.
    It's the 21st Century Saturday Night Special...semi-auto style
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.

As soon as I started seeing these pistols advertised in the gun rags I thought, "Ah. A new gun for Taurus buyers."
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    As soon as I started seeing these pistols advertised in the gun rags I thought, "Ah. A new gun for Taurus buyers."
    Quote It's the 21st Century Saturday Night Special...semi-auto style. The SCCY is a $250 pistol. What do you expect? It's cheap in more ways than one. Quote.

Question is have you ever owned one? I have a second gen CPX2 and have over 2000 rds through it without a hitch definetly put it in a class above Kel Tec. I also own a Detonics MC1 Combat Master, a Ruger SR9c and several others. I get tired of Gun Snobs who have no experence with a firearm cutting them down. Oh I also own a Taurus Public Defender Poly.

I had the gen 1 and didnt care for the trigger or the accuracy. Save your $$$ and get a better gun like the springfield xd or m&p for not much more $$ you get a decent gun with a good trigger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links