Should I?

This is a discussion on Should I? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My only carry gun at this time is a Glock 19 gen 3, but I also have a Springfield 1911 GI that I bought from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Should I?

Should I?

My only carry gun at this time is a Glock 19 gen 3, but I also have a Springfield 1911 GI that I bought from a friend's wife after he passed away. Now I've really been throwing the idea around of selling the Glock to get some work done on the 1911, new sights as the ones on it suck, wider beavertail saftey, some trigger work, and paint. At first I told myself I wasn't going to do anything to it, but I also hate to have it be a safe queen. I also got a Remington shotgun and savage .17 that are great the way they are. Just wanted some insight as to what you guys/gals would do.

2. Remove Ads

I would hold onto the G19, especially right now. The magazines alone may be worth more than you'll get for the gun before too long...
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love my 1911's, but if it were me, I wouldn't get rid of the G19. If money were an issue I would put off doing the work on the 1911 until I had the money to do it, or doing it in "phases" a little at a time until everything was complete. Just me.

VIP Member
    Keep the Glock. Later when you have more spare cash, do the mods on the 1911, and you'll be glad the G19 is still around.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mdco2 View Post
    My only carry gun at this time is a Glock 19 gen 3, but I also have a Springfield 1911 GI that I bought from a friend's wife after he passed away. Now I've really been throwing the idea around of selling the Glock to get some work done on the 1911, new sights as the ones on it suck, wider beavertail saftey, some trigger work, and paint. At first I told myself I wasn't going to do anything to it, but I also hate to have it be a safe queen. I also got a Remington shotgun and savage .17 that are great the way they are. Just wanted some insight as to what you guys/gals would do.
    I regret selling the only gun I've ever sold - a Springfield XD 9mm Tactical. It still stings. I sold it so I could buy a SAIGA 7.62 Sporting Rifle for $399. I told myself I can always go back and buy another XD. Haven't yet. There's always something else that you want/need to buy. I say work on your 1911 as you have the extra cash. Prioritize what you want done to it, and have it as your "long term" project. Fix the Sights. That will probably run under $150. Get the trigger re-done, another $200. Etc. etc. You won't regret keeping your Glock. Besides, what are you going to do for a handgun while the 1911 is in the shop?

keep the Glock.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The Springer 1911 GI is a fine handgun as is, but isn't yet exactly the way you want it. The G19 is, right now, out of the box, an IDEAL edc gun. Keep, carry, shoot & enjoy the G19. Don't allow 1911 Modifitus disease cost you that chance.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Keep the Glock. I love my 1911's but they just don't have the dead nuts reliability of a Glock.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

VIP Member
    If those are your only two handguns, you would have nothing to carry while all that work was being done. It isn't as if you could get all of that done "while you wait" you know.

Keep the G19 and save up what you need for the work you want to do on the 1911.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

+1 to all of the above.

I will NEVER again sell a gun.

Even my fistful of crap SCCY... it's a good plinker.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Keep the Glock. If you do all that work are you really going to want to start carrying it?

And I'm not even a Glock fan........
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    By all means keep the 19, you can get the 1911 work done one part at a time.

VIP Member
    Keep the Glock At some point you can work up the 1911. I carry both, the Gen 3 g-19 is a great carry gun. I would put the night sites on it.
    To carry the 1911 is a different animal its SA, so to use it correctly you need one in the chamber and hammer back. So people can't deal with that. Last thing you want to happen is a need to use it and you have to feed one in the chamber and stroke the slide under duress. Plus the 1911 came from a friend. What if you had to defend yourself with it and the LE took it away?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

1911's are great and have a great history in our country but the Glock 19 is arguably the best "all-a-round" handgun in the world.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Keep the G 19 you will hate yourself once you sell it. Take the shotgun and the .17 and get rid of them for the extra cash if it's a must do thing to the 1911. If not keep all 3 guns and do the 1911 later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links