Finally found a reason for pocket carry today.

This is a discussion on Finally found a reason for pocket carry today. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's always handy to have a pocket pistol for those situations when you need to be a bit low profile to conceal carry or you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Finally found a reason for pocket carry today.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    It's always handy to have a pocket pistol for those situations when you need to be a bit low profile to conceal carry or you can't carry your larger weapon. In my case, I bought a S&W 442 to pocket carry in the beach or for when I go run a quick errand. I just grab the J frame and drop it in my pocket holster and drop an HKS speedloader in the other pocket and I'm out the door. It's a great feeling to be able to carry a weapon so comfortably and simple, but I obviously prefer a larger weapon!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

2. Remove Ads

Its a pain but I carry in a fanny pack designed for guns. Feel like I'm sporting a purse but I only use it when I have to.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Guess you also missed the "WE Have A Sign" as you walked in. Better start looking at doors and if NO FIREARM sign shows up leave the handgun behind. It would be ashamed to lose your gun rights right over eye sight and comprehension skills!!
    No I didnt miss the sign. My eyesight is fine and my comprehension is fine also. That being said, in MY state none of the no weapons signs carries any penalty at all unless if you are asked to leave and refuse too which I did not or would have. No loss of permit no charge no nothing as long as if asked you leave. Ive never been asked nor would I refuse to leave. Even if one did refuse they are only subject to a trespassing charge and a 25 dollar fine

At first Ky was not going to even allow such signs but finally did. They carry absolutely no weight here.

There is a very good reason that I will not disarm myself unless im in the courthouse where there are LE standing around.
    It has nothing to do with my past, lifestyle or my trying to make a point. If you want to know what that reason is pm me and I will explain it but I really dont want to go into it again on here. Thanks Be safe
    KBSR likes this.

The only thing that surprises me about this thread is the fact that your doctor's office doesn't check your BP on every visit. IMO, you should find a new doctor. Incompetence aside, the "no guns" sign on their front door should be reason enough.

But, yeah...pocket carry definitely makes sense at times. I recommend you do that with your next doctor.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

For an actual appt they would check the BP this was just a quick appt to rewrite expired long standing prescriptions where I normally would have been in and out in 5 mins. All the doc offices have that sign here doenst matter which you go to. If possible I would find another doc office that didnt but they just dont exist here.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    A good pocket pistol is definitely a good idea. As of a couple years ago I saw the benefits of having a pocket pistol. I carry one almost all the time now, sometimes as my primary, sometimes as backup.
    That's why I picked up another Kahr....the CM9....for when the shirt has to be tucked in.

This you?

Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    This you?

LOL What can I say? Blame my parents LOL

You can certainly carry a firearm on the belt without it being seen. If while at an appointment with the doc you're finding it tough to conceal, why not wear a shirt that can easily be draped over the gun for the duration of the appointment? For example, there's no reason why a simple cotton short-sleeved shirt couldn't completely cover a IWB/OWB firearm from casual view, so long as the appointment didn't involve removing the shirt completely.

Though, pocket carry's got its points. You could always carry your primary with you normally, but then simply swap in the car for your pocket unit during appointments, then swap back after the appointment. There are ways ...
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    You can certainly carry a firearm on the belt without it being seen. If while at an appointment with the doc you're finding it tough to conceal, why not wear a shirt that can easily be draped over the gun for the duration of the appointment? For example, there's no reason why a simple cotton short-sleeved shirt couldn't completely cover a IWB/OWB firearm from casual view, so long as the appointment didn't involve removing the shirt completely.

Though, pocket carry's got its points. You could always carry your primary with you normally, but then simply swap in the car for your pocket unit during appointments, then swap back after the appointment. There are ways ...
    At appointments normally I do have to remove my shirt. I was never a fan of pocket carry and this particular situation is only to get me from my vehicle where i would leave my primary and back to my vehicle then use the pocket as a BUG.

My reasoning is that for an appointment even if I had to remove my pants I would be doing it and nurses docs etc arent going to search my pants during the exam.

Ive been hauled away from a couple of places by ambulance in the past to ER. A legal carry on my person was not considered violating their little sign. Nurses simply removed it from my person and had security hold until family arrived then gave it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    I have a ruger 380 but,i don't carry it much.I just bought one of the pouches for it,I forget what it's called.I cleaned it one day,and put it in my back pocket.Shortly after that,i went to hospital to see my mom.I sat down,and thought oh hell.I went right back to the car,and put it up.I've never been in handcuffs,or in jail,and i'm not curious about it either.If that gun had gone off,i'm screwed.The hospital and the schools,are the only placesaround here,that puts the signs up,that actually has the right ones.
    "If that gun had gone off..."? Guns don't "go off" unless you do something negligent. Any pistol in a pocket should be in a pocket holster that protects the trigger. If you are still concerned about it "going off", don't carry a round in the chamber. When I was a paramedic, we were called out to handle a gunshot wound. It turned out that the man shot himself in the lower abdomen with a .357 magnum while teaching his sons about gun safety. The gun didn't just go off. He did something really stupid including violating at least three of the four universal gun safety rules. Fortunately nothing vital was hit and he survived

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but I see this in the press frequently - "He was cleaning the gun and it went off." or "He was putting his gun in his holster and it went off". It makes it sound like guns are inherently unsafe because they might just go off for no reason and without warning.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Finally found a reason for pocket carry today.

You could always get a Murse...
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

"Any pistol in a pocket should be in a pocket holster that protects the trigger." Is this a law, or did I miss the memo? I'd suggest that this is YOUR opinion, and not a hard fast rule that we all must live with.

I carry a Kimber Solo Carry in my right front pocket, NEKID (no holster) every day, and I've never had a problem with it. Before that I carried other pistols, also sans clothing, and never had a problem with it. Tried the cute little holsters, that come out when you draw the pistol, and have rejected them all. Yes I get dust bunnies and lint in the barrel, but that's how I clean that stuff out of my pockets.

My Kimber S/C is carried chambered, with the thumb safety engaged, and I'll often have it in my hand, and nobody is the wiser.

Different strokes...Be safe.
    Snub44 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Get a car safe and keep the Pocket pistol in it for situations where you go to doctors office etc you can swap weapons out.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

It kills me how many folks that carry some small little gun to defend themselves with, the gun you carry is the MOST important gun you own. Why? Because it's the one you'll have with you when you need it and if you think you can really fight with that little 380, well it is your hind end not mine. I only pocket carry and have done so for more than a decade. I match the clothing to my carry gun, leave the homo skinny jeans at home and dress like a man. I EDC A SIG P245 pocket carry, GASP?!? But it's too big and heavy, please. How important is your life? Mine is priceless, I carry accordingly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links