Finally found a reason for pocket carry today.

This is a discussion on Finally found a reason for pocket carry today. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never been a fan of pocket carry. To hard to draw fast and to my taste to small a caliber for the most ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Finally found a reason for pocket carry today.

I have never been a fan of pocket carry. To hard to draw fast and to my taste to small a caliber for the most part.
    However after going to the Doctor today thinking it was only for prescription update during which they never even check my BP I got surprized.
    The nurse wanted to check my BP which was high and I guess it showed somehow.
    I had the 45 under my jacket in a shoulder rig. They have a sign no weapons. Ive always carried there before had nurses and docs see the pistol and say nothing about it. Even this nurse. Her reaction this time however was "you need to hide that. we have a sign". Well it was hidden until you wanted my jacket off. Do you want me to leave? Oh no she replied I know you I wont say anything I just dont want anyone else too.
    Long story short, jacket back on Docs comes in. Says " you know you look like Rob Zombie?"
    Yeah doc i get that all the time. Buisness done and im gone.
    However it occured to me that a ruger etc 380 in my jean pocket would end that little possiblilty since even if my pants need to come off Id be doing it and gun would stay hidden. Anyway.

I wont be disarmed period. At the courthouse I will long enough to get from vehicle inside and back to vehicle but that is it and only because they have metal detectors.
    I dont fly. I dont go anywhere I can not be armed which is few places.
    Anyway guess its a ruger 380 pocket rocket for me for the doc appts
    AR15VSCoyote and RichB70 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    So do you have the dread locks, or just the long hair?
    sioux565 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Any particular reason you skipped over belt-line (IWB/OWB) options? (not trying to start an argument, just curious...)

First question. No dreads just the long hair beard etc. If you are familiar with David Mann and his artwork Im told all the time that that is what I look like.
    2nd question I IWB most of the time. However on this day it was cold I did not expect to be taking off my jacket and due to a kidney stone not long ago my strong side is a bit sore at 3 oclock where I IWB. So went with the shoulder rig. Ill normally also go shoulder and normally back up IWB when riding a motorcycle. The sore side tipped the scales on this occasion. The pocket 380 would only be stop gap to get me from truck to office thru appt and back to truck or bike then primary would go back on. with 380 as a BUG

I have a ruger 380 but,i don't carry it much.I just bought one of the pouches for it,I forget what it's called.I cleaned it one day,and put it in my back pocket.Shortly after that,i went to hospital to see my mom.I sat down,and thought oh hell.I went right back to the car,and put it up.I've never been in handcuffs,or in jail,and i'm not curious about it either.If that gun had gone off,i'm screwed.The hospital and the schools,are the only placesaround here,that puts the signs up,that actually has the right ones.

Here they dont carry force of law except to ask you to leave even at docs and hospitals. Trespassing if you refuse to leave. EVen the courthouse wont get you jailed but I dont like the idea of leaving my pistol with the security guys at the door.

A good pocket pistol is definitely a good idea. As of a couple years ago I saw the benefits of having a pocket pistol. I carry one almost all the time now, sometimes as my primary, sometimes as backup.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

A J Frame .38+p like a 642 or 442 is comforting to me when I can't carry something larger. Gold Dot 135gr +p short barrel rounds or 158gr +p LSWCHP rounds are strong medicine. I prefer them to any. 380 load.

Cheers
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

My thoughts is if you have pockets, why wouldn't you want a pistol in one of them?

Seriously though, I have carried a pistol in my pocket for a hundred years, or so. Back in the day, it was a 22 mini derringer, then a .25ACP that would reliably fire the first time only, then a KelTec .380, and currently a Kimber Solo Carry in .9mm.

There are times when I want to shed my regular carry pistol, but I'll always still be armed. Your scenario is the perfect example of this. Lock your primary in the truck, go visit your doctor, put it back in your holster when you're done.
    wsquared and tcox4freedom like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Guess you also missed the "WE Have A Sign" as you walked in. Better start looking at doors and if NO FIREARM sign shows up leave the handgun behind. It would be ashamed to lose your gun rights right over eye sight and comprehension skills!!
    Hopyard likes this.

That's why I carry the LCP; it's just so easy to carry because it fits almost anywhere. It's never uncomfortable. Sometimes I carry my LC9 or a J-frame in my pocket, but more often than not, it's the LCP.

As for not flying, I avoid it when I can. There are all kinds of good reasons for not flying: I don't like being treated like terrorist cattle; I really don't like being felt up by government goons just so they can appear to be treating everyone equally; add not being able to carry to the list.

Of course for some of us, flying is directly related to the pay check so it's not a choice.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    A J Frame .38+p like a 642 or 442 is comforting to me when I can't carry something larger. Gold Dot 135gr +p short barrel rounds or 158gr +p LSWCHP rounds are strong medicine. I prefer them to any. 380 load.

Cheers
    That's my set up too. My 442 is so easy to drop in my pocket with a speed strip on the left side. I have Remington ammo, but I really like the Speed short barrel data. That'll be on my next ammo order.

Slow draw was mentioned? Practice your best "unassuming patron" pose with your hands in your pockets, one on the grip of your pistol. Try not to draw and toss your pocket holster across the room!

Pocket alternatives

I also have a need for occasional pocket carry. I really prefer belt carry, but sometimes the low profile of pocket carry really is useful. I recommend the two pocket alternatives below - the S&W 642 airweight revolver and the Sig P238 semiauto. They both weigh about 15 ounces empty. I find the Sig easier to hide because it is flatter and slightly smaller than the revolver. It also gives you 7 shots compared to 5 for the revolver.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

When I go to the doc it is one of the times I off body carry. I have a maxpedition messenger style bag it keep it in with my ipad , a couple books camera etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links