FNX FNX-45 45 ACP 4" 15+1 Versus GLOCK 45 Which would you choose?

This is a discussion on FNX FNX-45 45 ACP 4" 15+1 Versus GLOCK 45 Which would you choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really appreciate all of the comments folks. I didn't realize the gun could be carried cocked and locked, so I learned something. I thought ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: FNX FNX-45 45 ACP 4" 15+1 Versus GLOCK 45 Which would you choose?

I really appreciate all of the comments folks.

I didn't realize the gun could be carried cocked and locked, so I learned something. I thought it was a de=cocker only. I guess what I don't understand is if you're carrying it cocked and locked, and you go to thumb off the safety, won't it just de-cock, putting you back into a double action first shot? I think I'm confusing myself now. LOL Clarification would be helpful. I know, I could read the manual, but if someone here could explain it, that might be better.

Again, thanks.

P.S. Visited my LGS today to participate in the National Gun Appreciation effort. Never, ever seen the cupboard so bare. Where they usually have pistols stuffed in the display cases, there are 8 inches between the various pistols. Sad day. This store isn't pulling them either, they are selling them faster than they can stock them. Amazing. Not a single AR/AK, other than the .22LR versions. Hopefully all this panic buying will end soon, and we'll get back to normal.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

2. Remove Ads

I have the 9mm model of the FN. The decocker is down with the thumb switch. Safety is up. You can turn off the safety without decocking the gun.
    KBSR likes this.

I have a NIB Gen4 Glock 21 test fire date 22Oct12 Blue label pistol. It has weak ejection issues as well. No malfunctions at all with 250 rds fired for break-in. Just IMHO weak ejection, 2to3 feet to my 3 to 4 O'Clock. I was firing Estate (federal) 230 gr brass cased hardball. I know this isn't high powered ammo, but after Sandy Hook ammo is hard to come by.

If you watch Hickock45 on his new youtube on the gen4 21's parts #1 & #2 and watch the ejection (not shooting the gong, pig, or soda bottles just watch the ejection) you will see him get hit in the face and head. The ejection is weak on these two vid's. Then i dug up an old Glock 21 youtube of his (gen1,2, or3 idon't know what gen it is) and you see that that 21 ejects 8 feet to the right. You can hear the spent brass hitting his reloading table on this older vid. Hickock makes no mention of the weak ejection. "life is good" It's there you have to just watch the ejection, not his shooting. Unless Hickock45 is limpwristing.

If it's for home defense and you're already used to a Glock, I'd save the $$ and get a Glock. You can get the +4 baseplate from Arredondo and have 17+1.

Austin
    KBSR likes this.

I vote for the FNP. Why?
    DA/SA is nice.
    External safety is nice.
    Higher capacity is nice.
    The FDE finish is nice.
    You can add a RMR easily.

FWIW: I like the HK USP (Tactical or Expert) as an alternative to the choices you offered.
    KBSR likes this.

I like glocks, a lot.but the fnx is also a very nice gun from what I've heard. So I would say go with whatever you like, if you want to keep it ready to fire 24/7 maybe that external safety would be a nice added bonus
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Ive handled the FN cant say I like the extremely aggressive grip all that much. But you wont catch me with a Glock in my hand either.

Going to the range tomorrow to shoot my FNX45. I will report back.
    KBSR likes this.

.....not that I don't want an FN 45 Tactical with Silcerco Osprey and Trijicon RDS - but that's a $2-3k gun, and the Glock is ~$500. That extra $2500 could be used for lots of things other than a HD handgun....

Like an HD shotgun, HD rifle, new tires, gas, taxes, crate motor, pay down mortgage, jewelry for wife...

Austin

FNX-45 all the way, Superior safety system, Superior Recoil design, Superior round count, Superior Looks (IMO) :) The FNH FNX-45 shoots like a dream, giant hunk of a gun, but the size seems to disappears when you shoot it, everything just feels... Right, and why not have good ol' American Made??

DSC_4621.jpg

DSC_4574.jpg

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    I can't add much beyond what WC145 already said. I also have the FNP45 Tactical which is nearly identical to the newer FNX. The pistol is awe inspiring in many ways. First, it's dead-reliable. The thing is also an amazing shooter! Nearly same-hole accurate, although it takes a lot of concentration to shoot a good 16 shot group! It's not at all heavy, not like you'd expect. The DA trigger isn't great but I don't shoot it that way. The SA trigger is pretty darned good. Did I mention amazing shooter? It's hard to overstate how easy it is to shoot it well. The large frame and operating mechanism really takes recoil out the picture. Subjectively it's more pleasant to shoot than a Glock 19 IMOHO.

You also get a lot for the money IMO. If it's the same as the slightly older FNP, it comes standard with Trijicon HD sights, a threaded barrel and three 15 round mags. I think the Glocks also have interchangeable backstraps, but the FN has three or four with the gun. You'd be unlucky if one of them doesn't work very well for you. The rail is a standard 1913- my Surefire X300 Ultra fits it like a glove.

The only thing I can ding the FN on at all is bulk. It's a large handgun, no way around that. Hard to stuff 15 rounds of .45 ammo in and not have a chunk! But it's extremely easy to shoot well and a lot of fun. My experience has been great, and it's become my main "zombie gun" for home use. I would trust it with my life, and anything that can't be done with fifteen rounds of .45 Gold Dots probably requires a rifle or shotgun.

All that said, I'd trade it straight across for an HK45 or HK USP 45! No knock on the FN, I'm just an HK fanboy. In some ways the FNP/FNX is probably a bit better...certainly it's got it beat mag capacity and has a standard rail (the USP has a proprietary rail). I love my FNP and will probably never get rid of it, really is a nice gun.

However, if you have several Glocks and are used to them, it's hard to tell you not to get the Glock and pocket the $500 difference. I think the FN is greatly superior but then I'm not a big Glock fan. An external hammer and safety lever is a big deal to me, try as I might to unlearn decades of Condition One carry. If you're happy with Glocks then why not pick up one in .45?

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    .....not that I don't want an FN 45 Tactical with Silcerco Osprey and Trijicon RDS - but that's a $2-3k gun, and the Glock is ~$500. That extra $2500 could be used for lots of things other than a HD handgun....

Like an HD shotgun, HD rifle, new tires, gas, taxes, crate motor, pay down mortgage, jewelry for wife...

Austin
    Hmmm... Take the $500 Glock and have the slide milled to take a MRDS, add the Trijicon RMR, add a threaded barrel, add tall suppressor sights, and top it off with an Osprey and you've got well over $3000 into it. You need to compare apples to apples. And the FN works just fine without the RMR and suppressor if you want to compare it to the "bare" Glock.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

VIP Member
    I know you boys are all giddy with the FN, and majority of your reasons are preference. Now lets talk preference from the other side of things and why I think Glock is a better choice. I actually just shot the FN with an RMR the other day and so my experience is fresh on the mind. I will say that I think the FN is a cool gun though and from a features stand point, I would consider a thought leader.

The Cons:

1. Trigger is lacking. Not even in the same world as my Sig Elites (SRT). You also run into the same issue as with every other DA/SA pistol.
    2. While having a ton of options, it's just that. Heck the OP was confused with the describing them. This is overcome with training, but I prefer simple.
    3. I personally cannot stand the huge bulge on the bottom of the mag where it meets the magwell. (might be just me, but it looks huge)
    4. Accuracy of the polygonal barrel in the Glock was consistently more accurate then the FN. I honestly think this had just as much to do with the trigger, but it still was not hitting the groups that were consistently shot with the G21. This was even the case for the FN owner. For some reason G21's are known for being pretty accurate out of many glock models.
    5. Do we even want to start with dimensions and weight? I don't think so.
    6. Maintenance, parts, reliability
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Gimme a simple G21SF for around $600 any day of the week. I will admit the FN is pretty tacticool.....but so is the price tag. I just checked Buds, and
    the last price for the base model FN Tactical is around $1,100??? Is this right?? That's a tad steep for polymer anything, don't y'all think? I've never shot
    an FN45, so I may be missing something, and I apologize if I have. Where is the value for the price tag hiding other than looking cool?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have carried Glocks for over twenty years. I currently have a G20 SF in 10mm. I recently sold my two G21 SF handguns and replaced them with an FNX-45. I am looking for an FNX-45 Tactical at a reasonably good price. My routine carry is one of my 1911s and a spare magazine. I carry the FNX-45 in condition one just like my 1911s. I ignore the decocker. When I am in rural areas walking my dogs, I switch the 1911 for my Glock G20 SF or my FNX-45 and two spare magazines in case we meet a bear, cougar, or coyotes. If FNH made a 10mm, I would trade my Glock for one.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links