FNX FNX-45 45 ACP 4" 15+1 Versus GLOCK 45 Which would you choose?

This is a discussion on FNX FNX-45 45 ACP 4" 15+1 Versus GLOCK 45 Which would you choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering adding another pistol to my armory, but primarily as main home defense weapon. I want another .45ACP with the light rail on it, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: FNX FNX-45 45 ACP 4" 15+1 Versus GLOCK 45 Which would you choose?

FNX FNX-45 45 ACP 4" 15+1 Versus GLOCK 45 Which would you choose?

I'm considering adding another pistol to my armory, but primarily as main home defense weapon. I want another .45ACP with the light rail on it, to leave on the nightstand. Trying to get some input on the FNX-45, as I'm trying to decide between it and a GLOCK.

Just last night I fondled a FNX-45 ACP, which comes with three 15 round magazines, and has the rail for the weapon light. Seemed like a really well built weapon, and I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this weapon? I know it's heavy as a boat anchor, but 16 rounds of .45ACP is heavy, without a mostly steel gun holding it together. Pro's/Con's?

I'm leaning towards the GLOCK, primarily due to the same trigger squeeze each time, no decocking lever, and because I own others, and thus am very familiar with it. I carry a Kimber Ultra Raptor II (.45ACP naturally), with night sights daily, along with a Kimber Solo Carry in 9mm, and one or both of them stand guard for me currently, along with a real nice Surefire torch. I don't need any advice on my carry guns, I got this covered.

Anyone have any experience with the FNX-45?
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

2. Remove Ads

I know this is not exactly answering your question, but have you looked at the HK45?. The main reason that I suggest it is that it would allow you to run the same manual of arms with you home defense pistol as you do with the Kimber that you carry daily. The HK's can be set up for single action only (with a thumb safety in the same place as a 1911), DA/SA, or with HK's LEM trigger which is a DAO setup that offers a double action trigger pull every time. Yes, it's a !0+1 magazine setups and it lacks the 15+1 of the FN or 13+1 of the Glock - but for my hand the ergonomics are better. You may hate it - but it may be worth a try for you. More ammo is better - but effective rounds on target early in the fight are better than a whole lot of extra rounds fired in the general direction of the target....but I'm going to guess that you share that point of view since you carry a 1911.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

GH
    Since you're already familiar with Glock I'd go with that one. I don't know anything about FNX, but I do know Glocks & they're reliable. They're simple, dependable & easy to field strip & clean besides the fact that they shoot well.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I carry a FNP45 Tactical on duty and it doubles as my nightstand gun. The FNP is almost exactly the same as the FNX with only a few very minor changes, no difference in operation or handling. I've found it to be 100% reliable, regardless of ammunition, and very accurate. It is a large gun but doesn't feel like it in the hand the way a G21 or an HK USP does, I think the fact that it has the same grip angle as a 1911 has a lot to do with it. Also, I think the grip is a bit thinner and it has several backstraps so you can use the one that fits you best.. It is not as heavy as you might think, my gun, fully loaded with 16rds of 230gr ammo and equipped with a Trijicon RMR02 red dot sight actually weighs 1.5oz less than my Springfield Loaded 1911 with 9rds of 230gr ammo. I do not carry it with a light on it but I put a Streamlight TLR-1s on it at night and it still handles and balances well. One thing that I really like about it is the choices you have for carry - SA/condition one, DA/SA with or without the safety on. I carry it cocked and locked (I used to carry a 1911 on duty and still carry one off duty so that is what I'm used to and prefer) but at night I keep the hammer down and safety on.

The gun is a pleasure to shoot and recoil is pretty soft, making it easy to shoot fast, plus it's rugged as all get out. I've considered selling mine to buy the new "X" version but the differences are so minute I really can't justify the change, the X doesn't offer any performance advantages so I'm sticking with what I have. I think that the combination of size, weight, capacity, and being fully ambidextrous makes the FNP45/FNX45 just about the ideal home defense handgun.

Here are pics of my gun with and without the light-

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    I generally admire the FN product line, but I personally don't own any DA/SA. That particular design with the de-cocker just doesn't appeal to me.

All of my Glocks have the same trigger, providing consistency. Now combine that with reliability and accuracy and you really have something.

Unless you have an affinity for the DA/SA (given your choices) I'd go Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I generally admire the FN product line, but I personally don't own any DA/SA. That particular design with the de-cocker just doesn't appeal to me.

All of my Glocks have the same trigger, providing consistency. Now combine that with reliability and accuracy and you really have something.

Unless you have an affinity for the DA/SA (given your choices) I'd go Glock.
    The decocker doubles as a safety, you can carry the FNX45 cocked and locked if you want, same as a 1911. All of the controls function the same as a 1911 as well.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    The decocker doubles as a safety, you can carry the FNX45 cocked and locked if you want, same as a 1911. All of the controls function the same as a 1911 as well.
    Oh I know how they work. Personally, I just don't care for them. BTW, that's a super-nice setup that you posted up there.

FN all the way!
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Oh I know how they work. Personally, I just don't care for them. BTW, that's a super-nice setup that you posted up there.
    Thanks. Yeah, I don't care for shooting DA/SA either, though I like having that option for nightstand duty.

Beautiful weapon. I have a Beretta so the DA/SA is a familiar manual of arms. Saying that I will stick with my Glock for work.

BTW what is the retail on the FN?
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

If it were me, It'd be the FN, i have little use for glocks.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I like FN, but I personally can't shoot pistols with large decockers like that so I would go with the Glock 21 gen4. I use a thumb forwards grip and it gets in the way. I have the same problem with Sigs and the slide release.

I do like DA/SA though and have a couple CZ pistols where the decoking lever is designed/shaped so it isn't in your way with a thumb forwards grip.

Also, a large capacity .45acp with a can on the end of it, makes the best HD pistol IMHO.

FNX 45 all the way, Beware however you can't find extra FNX mags for the FNX 45 yet.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I want a FNX 45 Drool
    Kennydale likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm going to prove I'm an idiot. I think you should get the Glock 21 since you're used to the Glock platform. Learning yet another platform is less than ideal and takes time and money to get proficient with the new system.

All that said I currently carry a Glock on and off duty. In the not so distant future I'm going to be changing to the exact gun WC145 posted.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links