Defensive Carry banner

Lcr/xs grip " problem."

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  IAm_Not_Lost 
#1 ·
My new Ruger gives me quite a sore hand after only ten rounds or so and I'm wondering if I'm holding the grip too tight. What's the experience of you LCR owners: does a loose grip work better for you than a really tight grip? Or is it the fact that the LCR in 38 Sp with + P capability(haven't tried + P yet!) weighs just 13.5 oz? Looked at Hickok 45 and he doesn't seem to get the recoil that I do. What's your take on this? Thanks for your input.:wave:

#3 ·
Mine has the Hogue Boot grip which is the smooth front of the grip without the finger "slots." Can't believe that makes any difference.:confused:

#6 ·
Tamer grip is more contoured to the hand (finger grooves, fills palm better) and has a recoil reducing area in the rear of the grip. I tried both when I was considering the purchase and, imho, the boot grip sucked in comparison.

Try and get the Hogue Tamer, it really was a big difference for me.

Also try and get as high a grip on it as you can. Helps a lot if you can get the bore axis lower. As it's an internal hammer, you can get quite a high grip on an LCR.

#9 ·
UPDATE: Since posting, I've discovered that the Hogue Tamer grip is different from the Hogue Boot grip.. so I ordered a Tamer from Ruger and will give it one more shot(pun??). Will update again after I get a chance to give the grip a try. Thanks for your comments.:35:

#11 ·
Some folks advise choking up on the grip. Well, I've tried this with disastrous results. Accuracy was terrible and I gave myself a painful bursitis at the base of my thumb that took several weeks to heel. So my advise is to not choke up on the grip. Find something that gives you a smooth and natural trigger pull.

I've also tried the high thumb index similer to how one would shoot an auto. Meh, I get the best comfort and control with the traditional revolver style, thumb curled down.

#14 ·
Don't mean to sound too stupid, but does the Hogue Boot grip ( which my gun came with) really rate that far below the Tamer? Mine is on the way and I will try it out as soon as it gets to my abode! Thanks for the advice.:king:

#15 ·
You'll have to make your own decision about which you prefer, but common concensus is that the tamer is a superior grip. I got my LCR soon after it hit the shelves and it came with a tamer grip; the boot wasn't yet an option.

#16 ·
While the Hogue Tamer may be the better grip for shooting - let's keep this in perspective - they are both great grips that are worlds ahead of the old thin wooden grips (at least in regards to shooting comfort). I would suggest keeping your boot grip on there and just getting used to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.