Lcr/xs grip " problem."

Lcr/xs grip " problem."

This is a discussion on Lcr/xs grip " problem." within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My new Ruger gives me quite a sore hand after only ten rounds or so and I'm wondering if I'm holding the grip too tight. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lcr/xs grip " problem."

Lcr/xs grip " problem."

My new Ruger gives me quite a sore hand after only ten rounds or so and I'm wondering if I'm holding the grip too tight. What's the experience of you LCR owners: does a loose grip work better for you than a really tight grip? Or is it the fact that the LCR in 38 Sp with + P capability(haven't tried + P yet!) weighs just 13.5 oz? Looked at Hickok 45 and he doesn't seem to get the recoil that I do. What's your take on this? Thanks for your input.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have the hogue tamer grip and its a delight to shoot.

Mine has the Hogue Boot grip which is the smooth front of the grip without the finger "slots." Can't believe that makes any difference.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

+1 on tamer grips.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

I think you just need to get used to the gun. Don't take offense, but every gun is different in the hand of each shooter. Practice will make you comfortable shooting and handling the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Mine has the Hogue Boot grip which is the smooth front of the grip without the finger "slots." Can't believe that makes any difference.
    Tamer grip is more contoured to the hand (finger grooves, fills palm better) and has a recoil reducing area in the rear of the grip. I tried both when I was considering the purchase and, imho, the boot grip sucked in comparison.

Try and get the Hogue Tamer, it really was a big difference for me.

Also try and get as high a grip on it as you can. Helps a lot if you can get the bore axis lower. As it's an internal hammer, you can get quite a high grip on an LCR.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I have the hogue tamer grip and its a delight to shoot.

Fully agree. The Hogue Tamer grip reduces perceived recoil and is easy on your hand.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

There has got to be a point in a man's life when he reaches the conclusion that joy is no different than pain.
    Sorry, I just had to get that off my mind..........

So, yah, I've recently enshrined my LCR with boot grip in a new Sideguard Qwick Clip strong side appendix carry. No small task for a guy who has had two strong side inguinal surgeries, one to fix and one to repair the fix. It's tender "down there". It's working out very well. Very well.

Philly boy, you need to move your targets closer. Allow yourself some glam and glory to dull the pain. Work your rhythm out from your confidence.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

UPDATE: Since posting, I've discovered that the Hogue Tamer grip is different from the Hogue Boot grip.. so I ordered a Tamer from Ruger and will give it one more shot(pun??). Will update again after I get a chance to give the grip a try. Thanks for your comments.

As others have said hogue tamer grips are great. Have the 357 mag and recoil is not a problem.
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future

Re: Lcr/xs grip " problem."

Some folks advise choking up on the grip. Well, I've tried this with disastrous results. Accuracy was terrible and I gave myself a painful bursitis at the base of my thumb that took several weeks to heel. So my advise is to not choke up on the grip. Find something that gives you a smooth and natural trigger pull.

I've also tried the high thumb index similer to how one would shoot an auto. Meh, I get the best comfort and control with the traditional revolver style, thumb curled down.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I never liked the 158 grain .38 or 38+P loads in mine.

110s

and 125s had much lower recoil.

The Hogue Tamers make a bigger difference than you would expect.

Don't mean to sound too stupid, but does the Hogue Boot grip ( which my gun came with) really rate that far below the Tamer? Mine is on the way and I will try it out as soon as it gets to my abode! Thanks for the advice.

Don't mean to sound too stupid, but does the Hogue Boot grip ( which my gun came with) really rate that far below the Tamer? Mine is on the way and I will try it out as soon as it gets to my abode! Thanks for the advice.
    You'll have to make your own decision about which you prefer, but common concensus is that the tamer is a superior grip. I got my LCR soon after it hit the shelves and it came with a tamer grip; the boot wasn't yet an option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links