Ruger SR40C or a .40 Sig

This is a discussion on Ruger SR40C or a .40 Sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a compact .40. I have a PX4 Storm in 40 and a SR9C. The only Sig I have is a Scorpion 1911. I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TurboTurtle

Thread: Ruger SR40C or a .40 Sig

Ruger SR40C or a .40 Sig

I need a compact .40. I have a PX4 Storm in 40 and a SR9C. The only Sig I have is a Scorpion 1911. I am use to the SR9c, but kind of like the traditional Sigs. It must be a compact. Having trouble deciding.

2. Remove Ads

I have the SR40c and I love it. Handles recoil extremely well for a compact .40.

Probably the major factor for most folks will be the thumb safety on it - most people that's either a make it or break it. Even if you don't like it, you can always just keep it off or remove it if you're comfortable with modifying it at all (same thing for the mag safety).
    Ksgunner and surefire7 like this.

Check out the Walther PPS. Just picked one up in .40 and it is awesome for a single stack gun!

My EDC is a SR40c and I really like it.

Sigs are great guns....trouble is those that are called compact, are really not so compact. Most Sigs are thick and heavy.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
    I need a compact .40. I have a PX4 Storm in 40 and a SR9C. The only Sig I have is a Scorpion 1911. I am use to the SR9c, but kind of like the traditional Sigs. It must be a compact. Having trouble deciding.
    Well, I would go with the gun that you have motor memory with...the Ruger.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Two Thumbs Up for the PX4 Storm .40

Sig might be a bit heavy but you cant go wrong with either. I like my 3" barrel XD40's.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

P series Sigs in .40 caliber

Sig makes several of their P series guns in .40 caliber, including the P226, P229 and P239. I have the P229 in .40, and it is one of the best handguns I have ever seen. I believe the gun was designed specifically for the .40 caliber round, and it handles it very well indeed. I have owned mine for almost 10 years and put several thousand rounds through it. It has a great trigger and is accurate and reliable. Although Sig calls it a compact, it seems like a full size gun to me, weighing about 32 ounces empty with a full size grip and double stack magazine. It is commonly used as a duty sidearm by Federal agencies and police departments. I would recommend it very highly if you are looking for a serious gun and don't mind the size.

Now if you are looking for a compact Sig for carry, I think the P239 might be a better choice. It is single stack and thinner than the P229, and much easier to conceal. I have the P239 in 9mm, and it is also an excellent gun. But the ammo capacity of the P239 in .40 is 7+1, while the P229 capacity is 12+1, if that matters to you.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links