I broke my M&P!

I broke my M&P!

This is a discussion on I broke my M&P! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never seen a failure like this before but I managed to do it... Doing some drills today and it went something like this: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I broke my M&P!

Distinguished Member

I broke my M&P!

I have never seen a failure like this before but I managed to do it...

Doing some drills today and it went something like this: bang, bang, bang, click, tap, rack, click, tap, rack, click, *swear*, unload, field strip, well there's my problem!

Apparently I managed to break the trigger bar loop that releases the sear. It was leaning to the side and hanging on by a thread, I touched it with my knife and it broke right off. I'm guessing it was either fatigue or a defect in the metal, there is less than 4k through the gun so it's pretty bizarre. I already have a new part on order, along with springs for the 5k replacement and will just freshen it up early. I'll also be calling S&W on Monday and have them send me out a replacement part that I'll keep as a spare.

Now my SIG P220CED is getting some time on the belt.
    smolck and BMan like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I've never heard of an M&P failing in that way. Some "wear" is normal, but never heard of a breakage. My M&P 9c has operated flawlessly, but this will be something I'll surely pay attention to. Anyone else have this happen?

To the OP: Updated us on what Smith and Wesson says/does about this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Yes please do because I am thinking seriously about purchasing one.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Distinguished Member
    I wouldn't hesitate purchasing one, I have never seen this failure before and can't find anyone reporting they had the same issue. Lots of guys tweak on the loop for better sear engagement so I'd say it's normally a stout piece. I'm guessing there was a defect in the metal that just finally gave way today. I have a full size with more rounds though it than this compact and zero issues and all the internals are the same between guns.

Wow that's weird but after all the gun is a machine of sorts and a machine can break down and have even the most unusual parts can be the problem.

I don't think it's been an issue for M&P's. so, likely just one of those flukes where there was a defect in the part.

I certainly wouldn't let it discourage me from getting one. I have a full size and a Shield both in 9mm and they have been very robust and 100%. After owning Glock for 12 years, I sold it (to justify to the wife for getting the M&P) and I sure haven't looked back with any regrets. And I really digged that Glock.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I purchased the full size m&p40 a few yrs ago.One day i went to shoot it and the bullet jammed between mag and chamber,a couple of times..I was bummed out.It was just the spring in one of the mags.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Doing some drills today and it went something like this: bang, bang, bang, click, tap, rack, click, tap, rack, click, *swear*, unload, field strip, well there's my problem!
    "Click, tap, rack, click swear"

Ok, THAT was funny! Hope you get it fixed soon, thanks for the laugh.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Wow! Even with a very reliable pistol like the M&P there is reason to carry a backup gun. Lesson noted.
    10thmtn likes this.

Administrator
    Huh. I've been watching the M&P line since they came out, this is the first I've heard of that. I guess it was a freak thing. I'm 100% confident S&W will make it right, but I'm curious to hear if they offer any information about others experiencing this, IE a bad batch or something.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Contact S&W, they should replace it at no charge. Hard to tell why it failed. I would guess it had stress fractures that were missed during assembly. If it's built by man, at some point it's going to fail.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

fastk9dad - have you been taking lessons from Rollo???
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    BTW, I had to look twice to make sure the thread wasn't started by Rollo!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Huh. I've been watching the M&P line since they came out, this is the first I've heard of that. I guess it was a freak thing. I'm 100% confident S&W will make it right, but I'm curious to hear if they offer any information about others experiencing this, IE a bad batch or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Contact S&W, they should replace it at no charge. Hard to tell why it failed. I would guess it had stress fractures that were missed during assembly. If it's built by man, at some point it's going to fail.

I'll keep everyone updated with any info they give me. I have no doubt they will make it right, they sent me the updated slide lock assembly when I asked for it so I'm sure with a real failure they won't hesitate. The loop snapped right at the base of the trigger bar where the right angle is joining it to the rest of the bar so I bet there was some defect there. The only reason I already ordered a part is so I have one here by next weekend, I've got quals coming up soon and this is by backup so I want to put some new rounds down range with it and not be w/o it for two weeks. It's only a 10 minute job to change so it's no big deal. I will offer to send them the old part back and maybe after I qualify I'll let them look the whole gun over, but I see nothing wrong with the rest of it.

Here is the broken loop...

IMG_0370.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    BTW, I had to look twice to make sure the thread wasn't started by Rollo!
    I guess I've been reading too many of his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Did Rollo touch your gun at anytime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links