New wheel gun owner here - Page 2

New wheel gun owner here

This is a discussion on New wheel gun owner here within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my snubbie I carry PDX1 +p. Not sure if yours is rated for +p but. 38 will do the job. As BugDude said, gotta ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New wheel gun owner here

In my snubbie I carry PDX1 +p. Not sure if yours is rated for +p but. 38 will do the job. As BugDude said, gotta have at least 1 snubbie. I need to add to the collection, but as of now there are more pressing matters. Enjoy it. Once you get proficient with it it will fit every niche. Mine is almost always with me. They are THE most versatile guns.

Cool looking gun. LEt us know how it carries. That semi shrouded hammer is interesting. I opted for the concealed hammer, but as I said will be adding more snubbies to the stable and some will have hammers exposed. Ill keep an eye out for the range report.
    Last edited by BigJon10125; January 20th, 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Looked @ the pics
    BugDude likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I carry Speer Gold Dots (38+P) in mine. The way things are right now, if your LGS has them (or any pers-def ammo), bite the bullet so to speak and pay up. You can hunt for bargains later.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with a snubby. I keep one in my rotation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As soon as I find some ammo I'll get to shoot it. But ammo is sold out everywhere around here. and online!

Quote Originally Posted by mbecks21 View Post
    I just got home with my new Taurus 605. I know Taurus is a hit and miss brand but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I paid $350 plus tax and I got a $50 gift card at Mills Fleet Farm. Comes with two different size grips. Love the feel of the gun and it looks great. I just ordered a remora holster as well. This will be my summer carry gun as the XD is a little bulky. Well here she is!

Attachment 66909

Attachment 66910
    Great looking wheelie! As far as ammunition goes, try this website: gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals
    I'm having a difficult time finding anyone that has either .38 SPL or .357 Mag in stock at all.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    I'm having a difficult time finding anyone that has either .38 SPL or .357 Mag in stock at all.
    Me too. Most of my day is going to be spent scouring the web until I find some.

Quote Originally Posted by mbecks21 View Post
    If anyone can recommend a good speedloader that would be super helpful!

2d to Alex C on the strips...with practice, you'll shock yourself at how fast you can reload.

As for speedloaders (I use both strips and loaders, depending on what/where I'm going and what I'm wearing), I'm not a fan of the HKS ones, as they require an extra step (twisting the knob) to drop the cartridges into the cylinder...

Safariland's "comp" series loaders are awesome.

R

Missed your speedloader info request. Try looking at 5Star Firearms: 5 Star Firearms | Speed Loaders | Range Blocks | Leather Pouches | 100% American Made

I've begun using their speedloaders (but still feel more comfortable with speed strips), their design is pretty nice and the one thing that I like is that with their speedloaders, to release the rounds, it's a counterclockwise twist, which facilitates the speedloader being dropped quickly and your revolver being brought back into the fight quicker. There are several youtube videos on the use of the 5Star speedloader and several of Mas Ayoob's videos showing his techniques for using speed strips.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Re: New wheel gun owner here

You can practice with 38 and carry 357. If the moment of need arises, you won't notice the difference in kick but will surely appreciate the difference in ballistics.

Speed strips are much easier to carry and conceal. Mas Ayoob has a great video on effective use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAX...e_gdata_player

sent from my rotary dial phone using tapatalk2

Nice looking snubbie. I was looking for one myself when I found a stainless 605 lnib for $250. Couldn't pass it up.

That's a good looking wheelie man! I just bought my first as well. The collection had a void in it, and that void was a wheel gun. Looks like Taurus' attack on the LCR. I think the hit or miss stuff with Taurus is mostly their semi's. Everybody I've talked to that owns revolvers are very happy with them.

Great choice, I carry the Ruger sp101 if you want to get the most out of your gun find a reputable gunsmith an get a action job will greatly improve smoothness an accuracy I use Actions by T but there are many you will be very happy I have ordered a remora currenty use milt sparks summer special iwb works well

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Great choice, I carry the Ruger sp101 if you want to get the most out of your gun find a reputable gunsmith an get a action job will greatly improve smoothness an accuracy I use Actions by T but there are many you will be very happy I have ordered a remora currenty use milt sparks summer special iwb works well
    Ya, I was looking into the Shooters Kit from Wolf Springs. Looks pretty straight forward. While I didn't think it was that bad a #14 trigger IS a little much. #9 should feel very nice.

I have a 605 stainless and use it as my everyday carry. It's a great gun, and packs as much wallop as you want with the versatility of the ammo. I put a pachmayr grip on it for that "just right" feel. Can't go wrong with Taurus. If anything isn't right, send it back and they will take care of it -- for life.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    I thought liberals were the bottom feeders? ;)
    Strange, I've never felt like a bottom feeder.... I must not have got the memo.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links