S&W 640... Help?

This is a discussion on S&W 640... Help? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, stopped in to the LGS, and they had a used Smith and Wesson 640. I was looking at maybe getting the 640, an ...

Thread: S&W 640... Help?

S&W 640... Help?

Hey all, stopped in to the LGS, and they had a used Smith and Wesson 640. I was looking at maybe getting the 640, an SP101, or a Ruger LCR. Anyone have any experience with the 640? I have never bought a used revolver either, are there any particular things to check out? Overall it looks like its in really good shape. I saw someone once mention a sticky about buying used revolvers, but couldn't find it. Price on the 640 was at 499, not sure if I should pull the trigger on it or not. Help!
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

2. Remove Ads

I have 640 and Ruger LCR, for carry LCR but if you use belt holster 640 is just fine. I like to shoot 640 due to its weight. Get a trigger job on you 640 to smooth it out. It make a differance. Ruger it is a ready to go gun and light. Good news they use the same holster. Inside and outside the waist band.
    Vodek

$499 is a great price on a 640. I had a 640-1, traded for a 360PD, now I have a 640 Pro. I like it better than any Ruger.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

How much does an internal lock affect the decision? It does have an internal lock, but I never plan on using it or anything. Are there problems that are caused by having that lock? Any major things I should look out for when buying a used revolver?
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You are never going to know until you shoot it. You can remove the lock, just remove the flag or just shoot it. I have had two Smiths that had the lock and one was an ScTi 357, never a problem with the lock. I have another one being shipped now.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Thanks a lot 40Bob.

Links