XDs 9

XDs 9

This is a discussion on XDs 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a video today on the new XDs 9. I really like the looks of it. I currently carry, maybe 80% of the time, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: XDs 9

XDs 9

I saw a video today on the new XDs 9. I really like the looks of it.

I currently carry, maybe 80% of the time, a Kahr CW9. I love the gun. It fits my hand perfectly. Carries like it isn't even there. Points naturally. The one thing I dislike about it is the magazines. This is a fairly universal hate for the guns. Because of the offset feed ramp, Kahr says the top of the mags need to be a little "loose". As a result, the top round isn't held in place very well. I have experienced several times, pulling my spare mag out of the mag carrier, the top one, two or even three rounds popping out of the darn magazine! I have tried doing one or two of the home brew mag modifications and they help but I have to wonder if this cuts the reliability of the magazine down.

Anyway, after seeing the new XDs 9, this might just be the gun that takes the little Kahr's place. I'm looking forward to actually holding one. Of course, with the current scramble to buy anything out there by everyone who is now panic buying everything they should have had already, who knows when I will actually see one. And too, the gun was just announced at the SHOT Show so, it may be a while before they start hitting the gun shops.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have a PM9 and don't have any problems with my mags or loose rounds???

The XDs could be what a lot of people are looking for though!

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I saw a video today on the new XDs 9. I really like the looks of it.

I currently carry, maybe 80% of the time, a Kahr CW9. I love the gun. It fits my hand perfectly. Carries like it isn't even there. Points naturally. The one thing I dislike about it is the magazines. This is a fairly universal hate for the guns. Because of the offset feed ramp, Kahr says the top of the mags need to be a little "loose". As a result, the top round isn't held in place very well. I have experienced several times, pulling my spare mag out of the mag carrier, the top one, two or even three rounds popping out of the darn magazine! I have tried doing one or two of the home brew mag modifications and they help but I have to wonder if this cuts the reliability of the magazine down.

Anyway, after seeing the new XDs 9, this might just be the gun that takes the little Kahr's place. I'm looking forward to actually holding one. Of course, with the current scramble to buy anything out there by everyone who is now panic buying everything they should have had already, who knows when I will actually see one. And too, the gun was just announced at the SHOT Show so, it may be a while before they start hitting the gun shops.
    trade up your CW9 for a PM9...IMO its a better firearm than Springfields
    I had the XDs 45 and ended up dumping it,the Kahr was not only more accurate it never jammes

VIP Member
    Good to see you back again Mike. I've never encountered the magazine problem with my CW45. Might be something with the 9mm version. As to the XD, since it is just being introduced at the Shot Shot, I'm sure it will be quite some time before available in stores, especially with the run the stores are experiencing. Hang in there buddy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have the .45 ACP version and for me, it easily replaces any Kahr I've ever owned. Think about the G26 although slightly smaller overall and right at .90" thick. It easily fits in cargo pockets or on the belt, and at 27oz loaded, it's a pleasure to carry. The 9mm version holds a total of 8 rounds where the .45 holds 6 counting the one in the pipe. Either 9mm or .45 ACP, this is a very nice pistol. Below is a pic of mine. I have the talon grips applied to help ease up on the aggressive texture of the stock ones, but other than that the pistol is stock. Again, awesome carry gun IMO. Between this one and my Sig P938 my small pocketable carry gun in a very respectable caliber niche is complete.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Re: XDs 9

Check out the Walther PPS if you want a single stack 9.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I have the .45 ACP version and for me, it easily replaces any Kahr I've ever owned. Think about the G26 although slightly smaller overall and right at .90" thick. It easily fits in cargo pockets or on the belt, and at 27oz loaded, it's a pleasure to carry. The 9mm version holds a total of 8 rounds where the .45 holds 6 counting the one in the pipe. Either 9mm or .45 ACP, this is a very nice pistol. Below is a pic of mine. I have the talon grips applied to help ease up on the aggressive texture of the stock ones, but other than that the pistol is stock. Again, awesome carry gun IMO. Between this one and my Sig P938 my small pocketable carry gun in a very respectable caliber niche is complete.
    ^^^^^^^^^ XDs has it in spades over every Kahr that I've owned.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

When the XDS .45 came out I VERY seriously considered one. I recently picked up a Kahr CW9 and have been really enjoying carrying that. it's a bit more capacity then my LCR but less bulky then my G26. Then the XDS in 9mm was announced and I thought very seriously about one but what is what stopped ultimately stopped my from by then 45... The grip safety. I have no need for any bells and whistles on the a defensive gun that aren't needed for the operation of it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Think about the G26 although slightly smaller overall and right at .90" thick.
    The Glock is 1.18" in width.
    sioux565 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    The Glock is 1.18" in width.
    Only the slide is 1.125" thick, the frame and grip are wider... JFWY. I mentioned the thickness because at its widest point (slide release included) the XDS is less than 1".

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The slide is 1.18"...not sure where you're getting your numbers from. Not a biggie though...carry on.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Specs on the XD-S from Springfield if it hasn't been posted yet.
    Specs for the XD-S 45mm Compact Pistol | Springfield Armory USA

The 9 is the same dimensions as the 45 (according to Rob Leatham).

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    The slide is 1.18"...not sure where you're getting your numbers from. Not a biggie though...carry on.
    Lol yup, I meant 1.18" on the slide and the frame is wider, the total width of the frame is 1.25".. Oh, and it's from the Glock site, and my measurements of my G19 and G26.

I'm wondering if others on here have had the same issue with the mags for the CW9 that I have. I know there are lots of other Kahr owners out there who have the same problem. I've seen the threads on Kahr Talk.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links