1911 Frame sizes

1911 Frame sizes

This is a discussion on 1911 Frame sizes within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to learn about 1911s. Thinking of getting one for a second (alternate) carry piece. Can someone point me to a resource that would explain ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Frame sizes

1911 Frame sizes

Trying to learn about 1911s. Thinking of getting one for a second (alternate) carry piece. Can someone point me to a resource that would explain differences in the size of 1911s (like commander, etc)?

Are all 1911s single stack? Any recommendations for a 4" barrel carry piece? Are the beavertails any problem when carrying IWB?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Initially 1911's were single stack. Other mfg's have made doublestack versions. I carry a Warthog (Para-Ord, 3", doublestack) and haven't had any problems with it's beavertail.

I never remember the barrel lengths to thier designations so I end up looking here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911A1
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Quote Originally Posted by fhqwhgads View Post
    Trying to learn about 1911s. Thinking of getting one for a second (alternate) carry piece. Can someone point me to a resource that would explain differences in the size of 1911s (like commander, etc)?

Ultra = 3" - 3.5"
    Commander = 4" - 4.25"
    Government = 5" - 6"

Officers frame = compact, shorter grip for ease of carry. The Ultra's are officer frames and compact's as well

Are all 1911s single stack?

The true 1911 was built as a single stack but there are double stacks now a days to choose from such as Para Ord and others have out.

Any recommendations for a 4" barrel carry piece?

There are many to choose from and would depend on your budget or what you are willing to spend as to where this could go.

Are the beavertails any problem when carrying IWB?

No!

Thanks for the help, guys!
    What are you currently carrying?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Currently carry a Dan Wesson Patriot Commander
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products_dan_wesson.php?m=1
    The Patriot Bobtail is nice.
    When it's too hot to wear a vest, I put a Kahr PM9 in my pocket.
    http://www.kahr.com/front.html
    Both have been reliable from day one.
    Good luck, there are many, many choice from which to pick.

Lots to choose from in 4 inch 1911s

Any recommendations for a 4" barrel carry piece? Are the beavertails any problem when carrying IWB?
    There are quite a few manufacturers of 1911s today, but if you really want a 4 inch barrel, as opposed to the traditional Colt Commander length barrel of 4.25 inches, there are only 3 that I know of with this type of product - Kimber, Springfield and Wilson. Companies like Colt, STI, Dan Wesson, S&W and Sig make only the 4.25 inch barrel.

Then it comes down to how much you want to pay, and what features you want. Springfield is probably the lowest in price, followed by Kimber and then Wilson. Any of the three makes a good gun, and most of them will work with no problems.

In the 4 inch 1911 category I use a Kimber Pro CDP and am happy with it. I like the "carry bevel" on the slide and the flat profile and light weight (aluminum frame) of the gun, which makes concealment easier.

My Kimber Pro

The Choice on 4 inch type guns also breaks down to do you want a bushingless barrel like kimber springfield
    or a bushed barrel like colt smith wesson

The kimber/springer is a 4inch and colt/smith a 4 1/4 i prefer the bushed type barrel myself

Lead Moderator
    Also consider steel Vs. Alum frame. I find Alum works well for me due to being lighter for all day carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Also consider steel Vs. Alum frame. I find Alum works well for me due to being lighter for all day carry.
    That is also a good point i prefer Steel myself i have had one bad exp with alum frame and i have another you cant do anything to due to refinishing issus

Currently carrying a XD40 sc. I'm thinking a slimmer pistol (single stack) might be a little better for IWB carry for me.

Anyway, the XD may wind up going to my wife after she gets her carry permit, so I figured a 1911 would be a good fit for me.
    Last edited by fhqwhgads; October 23rd, 2006 at 03:29 PM.

Good info, guys.

What's the difference between a bushed barrel and not? A 4.25" barrel is fine; I wasn't specifically limiting myself to a strictly 4.00" barrel.

For argument's sake, let say I want a 4.25" barrel on an officer's frame, single stack. Where's a good place to start looking?

a bushed barrel still uses a bushing like the orginal design

the other uses a cone barrel where the barrel locks up on the slide i dont care for this design but its probley fine

for a commander style top end 4.25 and officer's grip you could look for a used colt officer 's or a colt CCO they were recently made

or you go with wilson or les baer i dont know of anyone else off top of my head makes one like that

Compact frame size 1911s with 4 or 4.25 inch barrel...

For argument's sake, let say I want a 4.25" barrel on an officer's frame, single stack. Where's a good place to start looking?
    The compact frame size (also called officer's) with a 4 or 4.25 inch barrel is not as commonly found as the same gun with a standard "government" frame size. Colt has made a few of them, and still has one available in the "Gunsite" series they make, model number O9840CGP :

Colt Gunsite pistols

Kimber probably makes more of these, and they all have the 4 inch bushingless barrel (which works fine, in my experience). Here is their Compact Stainless model, which sells new for about $750:

Kimber Compact Stainless

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    If you are looking for a good reliable good shooting pistol that is backed by a lifetime warranty and you can chat with the President of the company and also to the national distributor and not break the bank doing so check out the Rock Island Armory. You can go here to talk to the people that own and shoot them and see how pleased they are with them. http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17 Here's my pair.

Traditional Bushing barrel (my preference)
    Officer = 3.5" same shortened dustcover as commander, but with shorter grip frame (6rd cap in 45acp)
    Commander = 4.25" full size grip frame, shortened dustcover & minor measurements inside DC
    Government = 5" full size grip frame and dustcover

Bushingless Bull barrel
    Compact 3"
    Compact 4" either on a commander (6-rd in 45acp) or full size (commander or government 8-rd in 45acp)
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Probably the only home based FFL that doesn't do transfers.

Go here for lots of information

http://www.m1911.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links