CCO availability and quality - who makes 'em? - Page 3

CCO availability and quality - who makes 'em?

This is a discussion on CCO availability and quality - who makes 'em? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD* That Commander turned out very nice indeed, Dan. Thanks, OD. It turned out so nice (and so valuable) that I prefer ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: CCO availability and quality - who makes 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That Commander turned out very nice indeed, Dan.
    Thanks, OD. It turned out so nice (and so valuable) that I prefer not to carry it... so I decided to pick up a new 04691 last week, to keep pretty much stock, and carry with little concern for value. ;-)

Sorry, OP for the diversion.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

CCO availability and quality - who makes 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Thanks, OD. It turned out so nice (and so valuable) that I prefer not to carry it... so I decided to pick up a new 04691 last week, to keep pretty much stock, and carry with little concern for value. ;-)

Sorry, OP for the diversion.
    Ned does great work indeed.

Now carry the dang thing like it's meant to be carried!!!
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Just for clarification, Colt has not made a 1991A1 Commander model in years...[/IMG]
    OD... for further clarification, it turns out that Colt still calls the line the 1991 Series and it is appropriate for me to refer to my new Colt Commander as a "1991 model". They make 1991 model Commanders and Governments. I'm not sure if the A1 suffix remains applicable, though.

Colt 1991ģ Series
    Last edited by DHart; January 25th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

OD*
    That is correct, they continue to make the 1991 Series, which is nothing more than the old Series 80 with different rollmarkings. Where the confusion comes in is with model numbers vs. model names, two different things. As an example, your O4691 is a blued Commander Model in the 1991 series, an O1991 is a blued Government Model, that same Government Model in stainless is a O1091. The M1991A1 was a model name in the O1991 series, which haven’t been made since 2002 (the M1991A1s ), IIRC.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

That is correct, they continue to make the 1991 Series, which is nothing more than the old Series 80 with different rollmarkings. Where the confusion comes in is with model numbers vs. model names, two different things. As an example, your O4691 is a blued Commander Model in the 1991 series, an O1991 is a blued Government Model, that same Government Model in stainless is a O1091. The M1991A1 was a model name in the O1991 series, which haven’t been made since 2002 (the M1991A1s ), IIRC.
    Model name, model number... can get a little confusing to some at times, can't it! ;->

It is appropriate, however to refer to the current production Colt Government and Commander models (not XSE or Series 70 lines) as 1991 Models.

BTW, do you really live in Vatican City, Rome?
    Last edited by DHart; January 25th, 2013 at 12:24 AM.

Brian... until you mentioned it, I hadn't heard of the Caracal. After doing some research, I can see why you might consider the Caracal C as a serious contender for your quest. I think a striker fired nine might be the ideal option so as to maintain good capacity with a capable caliber in a compact form factor. M&P Shield, perhaps?

Still, it sounds like you have serious difficulties in concealing a moderate sized weapon while in your suited role, so... who knows, only you will know what works best for you. It will be interesting to see where this quest takes you.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    BTW, do you really live in Vatican City, Rome?
    No sir, it's like someone using terra frima as their location.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

CCO's To Go

I have had both Dan Wesson CCO and have had Sig Ultra Nitron.
    I very highly endorse both and have passed them on to family members.
    Right now, I'm actively looking for a Sig Compact RCS for my own carry weapon.
    I'm pretty well convinced that the CCO configuration is the best 1911 for carry.
    Rilowe

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Now that I'm thinking about it, since my department will kindly provide 9mm and .40 S&W (I'll make them regret saying "as much as you can shoot." ), a Fusion or STI Guardian in either of those calibers might be the way to go. It looks like Dan Wesson fans have been trying for years to get them to release their CCO in other calibers, but it hasn't happened yet.
    Based on your responses, you have lots of background knowledge, have put in the time training with the 1911 to justify staying with a platform that operates in the same manner, and are open to explore valid answers to your question. The fact that your department will provide practice ammo in 9mm and .40 is a great bonus.

Have you tried concealing a bobtailed commander? I know that it has a longer grip than a CCO, but the shape of the grip may reduce printing and ease concealment so that it would work as well as a CCO (or not...only you will be able to decide that). If so, the Dan Wesson Guardian might be worth looking at.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: CCO availability and quality - who makes 'em?

Help me out... what is a CCO?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Help me out... what is a CCO?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    When Colt introduced their Officer's ACP frame with the Commander slide, they coined the term Concealed Carry Officers,

Anyone recommend mating my current Colt OM frame with a Commander Slide and barrel. It should be "plug and play" no? I'm just not 100% on the feed ramp angle if that's a factor.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

The Colt New Agent is a great handgun. I've had two. One each in .45 and 9mm. Some don't like the trench sight, but it didn't affect my ability to aquire a target quickly and hit where I was aiming. Approximately the size of a Glock 19 but slimmer. Got both for a hair under $1k. Great quality, not a single failure of any kind with standard and +p ammo in both varieties (.45 and 9mm). Something to think about. And of course....it has the horsey on the slide.

Besides those, I've also had a RIA Compact 1911A1 in .45 variety. A bit heavy with the all steel frame and slide, but very reliable and won't break the bank. About half the price of the Colts. Not as well finished, but goes bang every time.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links