Range Report: Diamondback DB380 ZC serial

This is a discussion on Range Report: Diamondback DB380 ZC serial within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After all the rain we have been getting in the south has finally moved on, I went to the range today to see if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Range Report: Diamondback DB380 ZC serial

After all the rain we have been getting in the south has finally moved on, I went to the range today to see if I can count on my DB380 to protect me if needed. I was concerned with all the reports of failures to feed and made a few adjustments before even shooting it. I polished the feed ramp and chamber and sanded down the magazine follower to glide up and down the magazine easily. I was so concerned I was about to sell it and get either a Ruger LCP or NAA Guardian. But I decided to give it a shot today and sell it after if it was a bad report. Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised. I put 200 rounds of Magtech FMJ through it and 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense as this is my current carry load. As this is a pocket pistol I set up my target at 15 feet. This gun is not a distance shooter. It is for a last ditch effort to defend oneself at very close range. I was more interested in reliability.

I fired the first few magazines slow fire to get a feel for the trigger. I also stippled the frame to improve my grip on the tiny little gun which made a huge difference while shooting one handed. After I got a feel for the trigger I began rapid fire shooting. Double taps and triple taps were very manageable with a two hand and one handed grip. All rounds were kept inside of an 8 inch circle. I even tried to jam it by firing full magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger. I only had one failure to feed. I attribute this to needing a stronger magazine spring. The round fired and ejected, but didn't feed the next round. The only other failure I had was 3 failure to fire. In all 3 cases I reset the trigger and they fired on the second strike. I am not sure if this was a case of a hard primer or a light strike. Maybe the gun was getting dirty as it was toward the end of the trip. No other failures. It functioned rather well.

All in all, I am very happy with this gun. I am going to order two more magazines and some stronger magazine springs. This is my everyday pocket carry. I believe it is reliable enough for everyday pocket carry where a bigger pistol is not an option and a perfect backup for my Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have only one experience with the DB .380 and it was problematic. It would not be what I carried until the bugs were cleared up.
    franco45 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That is why I made some modifications and took it out today. It works well. As long as the gun is clean and lubed. I highly doubt I will be using it in a long, drawn out gun battle that required me to shoot 200 rounds of dirty ammo. I have tested it, it works perfectly as soom as you begin pulling the trigger. 7-19 rounds later, it still works perfectly. If the fight isn't over, bad luck for me, because that is all I plan on carrying in my pockets.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Great Report

Lead Moderator
    I think I would try some more 50 round tests to be sure the dirt was the issue regarding light primer strikes .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I think I would try some more 50 round tests to be sure the dirt was the issue regarding light primer strikes .
    I plan on it. I want to try some othe brands of ammunition too. I know I only fired 20 rounds of the Hornady Critical Defense, but it was after the gun went through 200 rounds of the Magtech. It was the Magtech that I had the failure to fire and they were from the same box of 50 and 2 were in the same magazine. No issues from the CD. I will head back out next week for a follow up. I think I will try some Blazer Brass FMJ. After that, I think I am going to have it Dura-Coated matte black.

Glad you had a good outing. I have a DM9 with over 600 rounds through her. No issues at all.

Here is a link that you may want to consider to help with the grip. Tractiongrips

Keep us posted.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Thanks for the range report. I have been considering a DB9 but I have been holding out due to some negative reports. It's good to read of a positive experience.

I saw a youtube video that DB put out to disprove the poor performance issues. They had 15-20 different 9mm brands on a truck tail gate and continued to shoot the DB with only tieing a string to the trigger and throwing it in a pond to cool it down. Then they retrieved it and continued to shoot until it got too hot and once more threw it in the pond and continued to fire the gun. Not sure they did not edit an FTF or FTE but I was convinced that little gun does a good job...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I would not consider 4 failures in only 220 rounds anywhere remotely near reliable enough to carry.

Try some different ammo, and see how it performs. As of right now, however, I would never consider carrying it.

JMHO. YMMV.
    franco45 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Glad you had a good outing. I have a DM9 with over 600 rounds through her. No issues at all.

Here is a link that you may want to consider to help with the grip. Tractiongrips

Keep us posted.
    I don't like sticker grips. I stippled it. It is permanent and way better than rubber.

To the guys referring to the DB9, I have the DB380. I have heard much better reports on the 9mm version and may pick one up as a companion to the DB380 in the case I have bigger pockets. I actually saw a video of a guy cover the DB9 with mud, and then fire it without any issues. Not to shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    I saw a youtube video that DB put out to disprove the poor performance issues. They had 15-20 different 9mm brands on a truck tail gate and continued to shoot the DB with only tieing a string to the trigger and throwing it in a pond to cool it down. Then they retrieved it and continued to shoot until it got too hot and once more threw it in the pond and continued to fire the gun. Not sure they did not edit an FTF or FTE but I was convinced that little gun does a good job...
    Was this the video?

Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I don't like sticker grips. I stippled it. It is permanent and way better than rubber.

To the guys referring to the DB9, I have the DB380. I have heard much better reports on the 9mm version and may pick one up as a companion to the DB380 in the case I have bigger pockets. I actually saw a video of a guy cover the DB9 with mud, and then fire it without any issues. Not to shabby.
    I understand your concern about the sticker type grips. I figured that since they were under $10, I'd give them a try.

Problem solved. It was a trigger reset issue. I cam across a video of what someone did to resolve it. It is the result of some burred edges where the transfer bar crosses a pin. I was able to replicate the trigger reset issue and now that the burrs are removed, I can't replicate it. The next range trip will tell for sure.

Great! Can you please share the video? Please keep us updated on your next range outing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links