Colt Mustang/Sig 238 owners

This is a discussion on Colt Mustang/Sig 238 owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I am not mistaken these are extremely similar guns. I own an older Colt Mustang and I really like it. It is accurate (for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Colt Mustang/Sig 238 owners

If I am not mistaken these are extremely similar guns. I own an older Colt Mustang and I really like it. It is accurate (for its
    design), it is light, slim, and easy to carry. My question, however, is how do you carry it? I'm not comfortable carrying it in
    condition 1 and besides, I shoot left handed and its safety is built for a right handed shooter. So, how many people carry a Mustang in Condition 2 and thumb the hammer back like a "six gun" when you shoot it? How many people carry in condi-
    tion three and rack the slide when needed?

Quite honestly, I have carried it in Condition 2 but I have always wondered what other shooters do.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a sig p238 in a pocket holster, condition 1.

With the horror stories I have heard about the colt mustang's safety switching to fire at the slightest bump, you may be wise to carry it condition 2.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I carry a sig p238 in a pocket holster, condition 1.

With the horror stories I have heard about the colt mustang's safety switching to fire at the slightest bump, you may be wise to carry it condition 2.
    Same here. They now make P238s with an ambi safety if you're a lefty. I've always carried it in a good pocket holster in condition 1. Never worried about it "going off". The Sig's safety is very strong. I'm not sure about the Colt version though.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Distinguished Member
    Seems to me there was a post here not too long ago where a P238 owner carried it hammer down and when (I think) attempting to pull the hammer back, shot ahole in his car.
    I carry mine condition 1 in a remora holster and have complete faith in it.
    The P238's are now available with ambi-safeties... perhaps the colt could be updated with one as well?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I carry a Sig P938 (similar to the P238 but it is a 9mm) in condition 1 with the 7 round magazine in a DeSantis pocket holster.

Not a lefty, but it does have ambi safety.

I would never ever consider carrying in condition 3...I like being a little more prepared for the unexpected.

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Condition 1, in a leather holster. I've no reason to concern myself with the safety going out of position in the holster
    I have, but if it somehow did I still think the leather would keep the trigger from getting jiggled. That said, I am not
    100% comfy with this arrangement and hope to buy an LCP soon; if LGS ever calls to say they have come in.

I think for someone who needs an ambidextrous system, the Mustang just isn't your cup of tea. I don't know about the
    238. Maybe its time to consider a different one.

Oh, I'd thought about getting a Remora and going IWB with the Mustang, but since it isn't hard sided like leather, I decided
    against it for reasons of safety.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I own two p238's. The safeties on those things are strong to click from one position to another. There is no way I can see to accidentally get the safety to switch positions. I've tried rubbing the gun over multiple of surfaces to get the safety to click. Nothing would do it and nothing in your pocket or waist while it is in a holster would do it either.

Always "cocked and locked." It's a Colt afterall. I don't know about anyone else's safety, but the one on mine doesn't "slip." Very positive on and off. IWB by the way.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I too carry a P938 (similar to P238, except in 9mm) in a pocket holster slipped into my back jeans pocket on occasion. Condition 1 (cocked 'n' locked) at all times.

HardBall and gottabkiddin like this.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I carry my P238 in condition 1 (hammer back and safety on). Being a lefty, I can see how carrying condition 1 would post a problem for you (can't easily access the safety). One thing you can do is to practice deactivate the safety with your right thumb, as in reaching across the back of the slide. It wouldn't be too much, once you are proficient at it.

Some have suggested carrying condition 2 (after drawing from holster, cock the hammer back). Or you can carry it hammer down and unchambered where you would draw and rack the slide. It's all based on what you feel most comfortable and practice with it.

When I get a pocket holster I like, I will carry cocked and locked in my pocket. Just got a 238 Scorpion. Got a Ritchie pocket holster that I do not care for. Thinking of a Bullard.

Folks crack me up. They think cocked and locked in a pocket is emasculation waiting to happen. The gun never points there, and if it does something is seriously wrong. A 1911 carried at 4:00 is pointing at the cheek of the butt, and if it went you would truly be half-.........well, you get the idea.

I trust a 238 as I trust a 1911, and I carry them the same way, just one is IWB and one is in the pocket.

As a lefty I think you should be looking at a DAO pocket gun like a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I carry my P238 condition 1 in a Left handed heavy duty P238 holster from the Holster Store

The safety is very strong but the trigger is covered, I don't see any NDs happening here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358867719.710523.jpg
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I have the Colt Gov 380. My safety was moving in the the holster. I tried several holsters and the safety still walked a little. I called Colt and sent it in to them and they fixed it. Now the safety stays where I put it. I don't use my Colt 380 for pocket carry, I use either OWB or IWB with OWB my first choice. I think my LCP is better suited for pocket carry than my Colt.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I have a Colt Mustang, and the safety doesn't have an issue. When I did carry it, I ankle carried it Condition 1 in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links