My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC

This is a discussion on My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a video that shows how to ever so slightly modify the mag follower, and that totally removes the issue and allows the round ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC

There is a video that shows how to ever so slightly modify the mag follower, and that totally removes the issue and allows the round to be chambered by racking the slide every time. I did it to mine and I know for a fact that it does work. And by saying racking the slide I don't mean a super dooper fast as you can rack either. It's just a normal motion like with any other pistol. All it takes is a bic pen and some fine grit sandpaper and just a few minutes of time. Why this needs to be done, and why didn't Kahr do it or change the follower out? Who knows ask them. All I know is, I did it to all of my mags and problem solved; no more nose diving first round and or rounds that flip out while in the pocket. JFYI
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    There is a video that shows how to ever so slightly modify the mag follower, and that totally removes the issue and allows the round to be chambered by racking the slide every time. I did it to mine and I know for a fact that it does work. And by saying racking the slide I don't mean a super dooper fast as you can rack either. It's just a normal motion like with any other pistol. All it takes is a bic pen and some fine grit sandpaper and just a few minutes of time. Why this needs to be done, and why didn't Kahr do it or change the follower out? Who knows ask them. All I know is, I did it to all of my mags and problem solved; no more nose diving first round and or rounds that flip out while in the pocket. JFYI
    I just found the video and the thread on Kahrtalk.com. Going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Don't know what's different about the CW9, but I've "sling-shotted" my K9, K40 & T9 without any issues.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Edit: By the way, Kahr magazines suck.
    As opposed to, say, the ProMag magazines?

The only thing I don't like about the Kahr mags is the damnably sharp edges on the feed lips. I'll load my Glock and 1911 mags all day and all night, but I wince when I have to load the Kahrs.
    KoolBreeze likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I just found the video and the thread on Kahrtalk.com. Going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!
    No problem glad to help.... The Kahrs are good little carry pistols.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Kinda confused here. Do the Kahrs not lock back after the last round?

I'm considering a CM9 & if not, I may be looking elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJ10 View Post
    Kinda confused here. Do the Kahrs not lock back after the last round?

I'm considering a CM9 & if not, I may be looking elsewhere...
    They lock back. However, kahr says your susposed to chamber a round by locking the slide back and then dropping the slide with the slide release as opposed to slingshotting the slide backwards and letting it go.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    As opposed to, say, the ProMag magazines?

The only thing I don't like about the Kahr mags is the damnably sharp edges on the feed lips. I'll load my Glock and 1911 mags all day and all night, but I wince when I have to load the Kahrs.
    Those edges are painful!

I have always liked my PM9 except for the 'no slingshot' requirements. Recently I have been experimenting with slingshotting using snap caps and it seems to work. Next step is to try it at the range with live ammo

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm a little confused. You said you have use the MAG release to chamber a round. Are you sure you didn't mean the slide release?

The use of the slide release made sense to me. I lock the slide open, pop in a magazine, release the slide and chamber a round then holster up. In the event of a need to fire the weapon dry, the slide would lock open after the last round, I'd pull the empty mag, pop in a new mag, release the slide and be right back in business. This is for my PM9, not a CW9, but I guess I'm still confused on the use of the MAG release to chamber a round.

How's that work?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I'm a little confused. You said you have use the MAG release to chamber a round. Are you sure you didn't mean the slide release?

The use of the slide release made sense to me. I lock the slide open, pop in a magazine, release the slide and chamber a round then holster up. In the event of a need to fire the weapon dry, the slide would lock open after the last round, I'd pull the empty mag, pop in a new mag, release the slide and be right back in business. This is for my PM9, not a CW9, but I guess I'm still confused on the use of the MAG release to chamber a round.

How's that work?
    Sorry, I meant slide release

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I believe kahr says to use the slide realease as to many people can't get a full pull on the slide and cleanly release it. If running normal mag changes the release works just fine . For me the sling shot style also so works well with or with out the the followers being "reworked". Maybe the hp design some use is the problems too. May cw9 came from a guy that had issues and offered it for sale to cheap to pass on. Ran great for me. I also have a cm9 and find for some reason it sling shots even better than the cw9 if that can be.

Anyhow, 7-1 rounds fired from mine and my rear end will be shuffling off to where shooting ain't happen. With will over 1100 rounds thru each of my kahrs I have not had a single issue.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Sorry, I meant slide release
    Got it, no problem .... just had me confused!
    That's not saying much .... it doesn't take much to confuse me.

I carry my PM9 every day, just because it's been so reliable and once I learned to shoot it for self-defense, I trust it with my life. But that's me ... as I noted, the slide release to chamber the round made sense to me and I just never questioned that. JMHO.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Mine will work either way now, but that was not the case when I first got it.

I'm glad I read this thread. I'm not well versed in Kahr's mainly because of their rumored long heavy trigger pull but I would have never thought to check into how a pistol should be racked/released into battery. If my memory serves me, the Kahr has a right-handed slide release only, so for a lefty like me...slide releasing to load is basically unthinkable in a tactical situation.

Good to know that this is something I need to verify for future purposes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links