My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC

This is a discussion on My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wondering I'm glad I read this thread. I'm not well versed in Kahr's mainly because of their rumored long heavy trigger pull ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I'm glad I read this thread. I'm not well versed in Kahr's mainly because of their rumored long heavy trigger pull but I would have never thought to check into how a pistol should be racked/released into battery. If my memory serves me, the Kahr has a right-handed slide release only, so for a lefty like me...slide releasing to load is basically unthinkable in a tactical situation.

Good to know that this is something I need to verify for future purposes.
    Just to clarify, the Kahr DOES have a long trigger pull but (in my opinion) it is by no means heavy. You are correct that the slide release is not ambidextrous.
    bigmacque likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

^^ I'm a lefty so when I drop the slide it is always with a slingshot motion, not with the slide release and I have never had a FTE or FTF.
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Not sure if any really small handguns have both side realese. Never heard someone say a kahr had a heavy trigger pull , most break in to 6 lbs smooth or maybe a little less. Want a crappy trigger pull buy a M&P with a daonly trigger. I understand why apex and M&P go together so well..

I stand corrected on the "heavy" part of the Kahr trigger pull.

AngryBadger- Are you referring to slingshotting a Kahr without any FTF's?

I'm like you, I default to slingshotting always. Some small pistols have ambi slide releases/locks but are difficult for me to operate (S&W M&P's for one but those are more slide locks than releases), so I always slingshot to load.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Rollo,
    You make a good point about keeping things simple and consistent. I don't have a CW9, but I do have a CW45. I know Kahr recommends chambering/rechambering using the slide lock release technique, but my Kahr has always run fine using the slingshot technique. If you otherwise like the CW9, I'd suggest you try your usual slingshot technique and see how it handles it. From what I've read, lots of Kahrs handle the slingshot w/o problems. If yours is one of those, maybe you can keep the Kahr w/o having to change your reloading technique.
    Yep. Kahr tells you to use the slide release but the CW9 that I have and the T9 both work fine with the slingshot method.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Hello Rollo, I just read your post about your Kahr. I own a Kahr P9 so I went and tryed to rack the slide on a new mag change using the pull back and release the slide. It worked every time. I thought that the CW 9 was almost the exact same gun. I guess there are a few differences. Mine has also been a flawless firearm. I used to carry it daily. Now I carry my Kimber ultra CDPII...

Quote Originally Posted by rutcrazed View Post
    Hello Rollo, I just read your post about your Kahr. I own a Kahr P9 so I went and tryed to rack the slide on a new mag change using the pull back and release the slide. It worked every time. I thought that the CW 9 was almost the exact same gun. I guess there are a few differences. Mine has also been a flawless firearm. I used to carry it daily. Now I carry my Kimber ultra CDPII...
    Well, it does appear that the more it loosens u, the less nose diving on the first round is an issue. When I had about 200 rounds through the gun it would nose dive when slingshotting the slide about 50 percent of the time. I have about 500 rounds through it now and just slingshotted it about 100 times with snap caps (damn are my fingers sore...) and I didn't have any issues. So, it's looking like I may be good to go.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I know how you feel Rollo. I'm too engrained with pulling the slide to do anything different now.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    As opposed to, say, the ProMag magazines?

The only thing I don't like about the Kahr mags is the damnably sharp edges on the feed lips. I'll load my Glock and 1911 mags all day and all night, but I wince when I have to load the Kahrs.
    I'll give you an AMEN on that one. That is one of my complaints with my CM9. First time at the range my thumb was bleeding after loading the magazine a dozen times. I have since buffed the lips a little and that has helped but not eliminated the problem. I think the magazines are most definitely the weak link with the Kahr guns.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Well, it does appear that the more it loosens u, the less nose diving on the first round is an issue. When I had about 200 rounds through the gun it would nose dive when slingshotting the slide about 50 percent of the time. I have about 500 rounds through it now and just slingshotted it about 100 times with snap caps (damn are my fingers sore...) and I didn't have any issues. So, it's looking like I may be good to go.
    Rollo - You really need to try it with your carry ammo. Mine would slingshot just fine with FMJ or PowRBall, but not with my usual carry ammo. The bullet's profile makes a difference.

As to the Mag follower mod that GBK mentioned - I tried it, to no good effect. If you are going to try it, you might want to order a spare mag follower(s) in case you decide to go back to stock.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm used to using the slide release. Oh we'll different strokes for different folks.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    My Kahrs are all medium or large framed. They all load just fine using the slingshot method. If you like the gun and it actually does load both ways, why drop it?

I've had a CW9 for a long time and and it was my EDC for at least a year. Got to the point where I just felt it wasn't enough rounds or power. Hate to be negative because I really like the gun but shouldn't it be considered a BUG in most situations?

Flame suit on.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I've had a CW9 for a long time and and it was my EDC for at least a year. Got to the point where I just felt it wasn't enough rounds or power. Hate to be negative because I really like the gun but shouldn't it be considered a BUG in most situations?

Flame suit on.
    Just depends on what you feel comfortable with. Plenty of guys out there feel perfectly fine with 5 shot snubs. Some feel under gunned with a Glock 17. 7+1 I think is a pretty good middle ground. That being said, I don't know if the trade off is worth it when compared against something like a G26. You are basically giving up 3 rounds of capacity to get something a bit lighter and thinner. Whether the width savings offsets the grip length in regards to concealment is hard to say.

People that think they are going to be in a shoot-out and have to reload 19 round magazines multiple times are watching too much television or movies!!
    KoolBreeze likes this.
    Tony

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links