My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC

This is a discussion on My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have about 500 rounds down the pipe so far and the pistol has proven itself to be rock solid. I honestly expected at least ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC

My ONE complaint with the Kahr CW9 - Why it won't be my new EDC

I have about 500 rounds down the pipe so far and the pistol has proven itself to be rock solid. I honestly expected at least a FEW hiccups during the 200 round break in period. In reality, given my luck with handguns I was kind of expecting it to blow up, but that beside the point. There are a lot of things that I REALLY like about this pistol. It's a bit thinner then my G26, it's a bit lighter then my G26. I wouldn't consider the trigger a selling point so to speak but it's not bad...Just takes some getting used to. For all intents and porposes it's a good gun. There is just ONE thing that I can't seem to get over...

Having to chamber a round with the mag release. Don't get me wrong, I would PREFER to chamber a round from the mag release. The problem is that there are situations where that isn't practical. The first and most glaring that comes to mind is if the gun has ran dry in a defensive encounter. Most of us are going to drop the mag, insert a new one and rack the slide. Well... that's a no go with the Kahr. You need to lock the slide back, insert the mag and then use the slide release to bring the gun into battery. Since I have become serious about carrying I have a adopted a philosophy that is basically to keep things as simple as possible. The fewer points of failure the better. Being forced to chamber a roiund this way from an empty gun seems like a potential liability to me.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Rollo:
    If you have a good gun stay with it. It is a great size and weight for carry. Just practice loading and muscle memory will take over. Do you carry with a round chambered? If so, you probably would win the lotto before you ever got into a gun fight and had to reload.

BTW what is that actor in your avatar's name????....I know he's the Allstate guy but I can't remember his name.
    franco45 likes this.

Just the doubt about it is enough to not carry it. Even though other people consider it no big deal.

Rollo,
    You make a good point about keeping things simple and consistent. I don't have a CW9, but I do have a CW45. I know Kahr recommends chambering/rechambering using the slide lock release technique, but my Kahr has always run fine using the slingshot technique. If you otherwise like the CW9, I'd suggest you try your usual slingshot technique and see how it handles it. From what I've read, lots of Kahrs handle the slingshot w/o problems. If yours is one of those, maybe you can keep the Kahr w/o having to change your reloading technique.
    zonker1986 likes this.

When I carried my PM9, I considered it a 7-shot throwaway gun for this reason. If I ever ran it dry, my plan was to go to my BUG.

I have so many repetitions in training to use the overhand pull-and-release reload method, that there was no way I was going to trust myself to use the slide release for only that particular pistol.

And for the Kahr fanbois who insist that you should be able to use the slide pull-and-release reload method with a "well broken in" Kahr - no dice. Not with mine - nose down jams almost every time, with many different brands of ammo.

All the fussiness involved with Kahr pistols (I've had 4 of them) are what ultimately led me to the Ruger LCR revolver. Glad I made the switch.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    Rollo:
    If you have a good gun stay with it. It is a great size and weight for carry. Just practice loading and muscle memory will take over. Do you carry with a round chambered? If so, you probably would win the lotto before you ever got into a gun fight and had to reload.

BTW what is that actor in your avatar's name????....I know he's the Allstate guy but I can't remember his name.
    Dennis Haysbert. most notably known for being the President in 24 and (my favorite) Jonas Blaine (Callsign Snake Doctor) in The Unit. Damn I miss that show... It's actually funny that he's a spokesman for a insurance company because in The Unit he generally didn't go more than 20 mins with out shooting someone or blowing something up lol.

While I know the likely hood of needing to reload is extremeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely low it still bothers me. I am very much a hope for the best and plan for the worst type of person.
    Bark'n likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Rollo,
    You make a good point about keeping things simple and consistent. I don't have a CW9, but I do have a CW45. I know Kahr recommends chambering/rechambering using the slide lock release technique, but my Kahr has always run fine using the slingshot technique. If you otherwise like the CW9, I'd suggest you try your usual slingshot technique and see how it handles it. From what I've read, lots of Kahrs handle the slingshot w/o problems. If yours is one of those, maybe you can keep the Kahr w/o having to change your reloading technique.
    My original thought was actually what you suggested. Unfortunately, mine consistently (well, about 50 percent of the time) won't chamber a round when sling shotting the slide. Lock it back and release, perfect. I guess I should probably try it with a different type of ammo though.

I recently bought a Kahr CM9 and have around 200 rounds down range with it. I've been loading it by racking the slide from day one and never had a single issue doing so. I think it is about how you rack the slide. I don't ride the side, I snap it back and release it and it works every time. Results vary I guess.

BTW, this was the main reason I was very hesitant to purchase the CM9, but it just hasn't been an issue for me.
    rigel42 and surefire7 like this.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Rollo, what Kahr tells you in the manual is a way to chamber a round, not the way.

I got my first Kahr, a K40, used from a friend, minus the instruction manual. I rarely use the slide release to chamber a round, I nearly always slingshot the slide, so I didn't know that what I was doing was "wrong." Neither did my K40, as it never, ever had a problem. Then a couple of years later I gunsmith whose opinion I respect recommended the P9/CW9, so I got one. Due to its compact size and light weight, it's my standard around-the-house carry piece and is one of the ones that is often carried outside the home. Since this one was new, I actually had a manual to read. I took their instructions as a suggestion, not an absolute, and in 1000+ rounds through the gun I have yet to experience a problem after charging the gun as I do.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but when I was taught the "manual of arms" for the 1911, my instructors only used the slide stop for administrative handling. I didn't see anyone charge the gun via the slide release until I'd been shooting for a couple of years. Then I shot with a couple of Thunder Ranch grads for a while, and Clint Smith apparently is a big proponent of the 'slingshot' technique all the time, so I just continued the practice with all my autoloaders. It's just automatic for me. I load the gun with the slide home (in battery), then rack it all the way back. I have to wonder if problems arise because the relatively stiff springs in compact guns keeps them from retracting the slide fully?

Anyway, my advice is don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Run the gun the way you want to, and verify to your own satisfaction that it works just fine. My guess is you'll find the same lack of problems I've enjoyed from both of my Kahrs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Rollo... while I appreciate my Kahr PM9, I consider such a gun purely as a back-up (last ditch), not a primary.

I believe that your Kahr SHOULD recharge just fine with a slingshot. If it does not... are you sure it's an optimal choice for you as a primary carry?

With all due respect, have you, with all finality, determined that you simply will not/cannot carry a more significant primary pistol than a CW9?

I think the sub-compact Kahrs are awesome pistols, but I would almost NEVER consider one of them to be my PRIMARY carry pistol.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Quote Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
    I recently bought a Kahr CM9 and have around 200 rounds down range with it. I've been loading it by racking the slide from day one and never had a single issue doing so. I think it is about how you rack the slide. I don't ride the side, I snap it back and release it and it works every time. Results vary I guess.

BTW, this was the main reason I was very hesitant to purchase the CM9, but it just hasn't been an issue for me.
    IMO a gun that the user slingshots to load should not require a special slingshotting technique. The gun should go into battery correctly if the user rides the slide or snaps it back. If I owned a gun that required me to change a small detail as how how I slingshot the slide in order for it to properly chamber a round, it would not be my primary carry.

This is the one reason why not to mix it up with your carry guns. There are different controls etc. it's like comparing a 1911 to a Glock for carry purposes. Or carrying a gun with a thumb safety one day and next w/o a thumb safety. It's a recipe for disaster. You should stick with one gun and go with it.

I summer carry a PM9. When the weather starts to warm up, I put my winter carry gun away (G19) and strictly shoot the Kahr. I do vice versa when cooler weather comes around. If you start mixing it up, you'll run into problems should the need arise.

If you don't care for it, go for a Glock, M&P, XD, etc.

BTW, I cold think of a ton of other guns to complain about as opposed to Kahr and one of them has already been mentioned here. Kahr's are built for concealed carry, not for war or a primary LEO weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    IMO a gun that the user slingshots to load should not require a special slingshotting technique. The gun should go into battery correctly if the user rides the slide or snaps it back. If I owned a gun that required me to change a small detail as how how I slingshot the slide in order for it to properly chamber a round, it would not be my primary carry.
    Since I don't ride the slides on any of my guns when I chamber a round via slingshot, my technique is the same on all of them and isn't "special" to me. It's just the way I've been doing it for 30 years.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

I can sling shot the CW9 since new, but I still cannot sling shot the CM9 even after approx 600 rounds... and I don't rack the slide 1000 times like the fanbois would suggest ... I find it laughable to do that.
    Last edited by Bark'n; January 22nd, 2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: crass remark removed

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    You might try ammo with a different bullet profile. Federal 9BP and 9BPLE both have a very rounded nose and might feed well enough for you to slingshot the slide.

I'm sure there are others as well.

Edit: By the way, Kahr magazines suck.

Jim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links