What front sight color do you prefer?

This is a discussion on What front sight color do you prefer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a pistol with an orange front dot over black rear sight. I would not have anticipated liking it, but I do....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What front sight color do you prefer?

What front sight color do you prefer?

I recently bought a pistol with an orange front dot over black rear sight. I would not have anticipated liking it, but I do.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    A black front sight????????????

Please elaborate. How can you see it in low light conditions?
    This may sound unconventional or even bizarre on a defensive carry forum but I'm not much concerned about low light conditions and colored sighs are annoying for range or field use. I'm not even color-blind, Zamboni but that's a logical assumption. I come from a background of competitive shooting where precision is called far and where a dark and sharp front sight picture is most appropriate.

This won't work for everybody, may not be current thinking on the subject, and may not even be the most prudent way to outfit a dedicated concealed carry handgun but there it is. Some experimental shooting in low-light or no light conditions at night, in the yard of our old lake cabin, satisfied me that solid hits may be reasonably be expected on a full-sized silhouette target to 7 yards or so.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I prefer white for the front sight but I have green Hy-Viz sights on a PT1911 that work well.

Re: What front sight color do you prefer?

Agree that there is something to point shooting. I have really improved my pistol shooting ability after a few thousand rounds. Looking to make some small improvements like with the sight paint. Want to make sure my skills are honed as much as they can be before I spend the money on a better trigger and better sights. That whole training > gear concept.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links