Thinking about a 1911 officers model.

This is a discussion on Thinking about a 1911 officers model. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DHart What is your carry ammo and what velocity does it give you with the 3" barrel? Unfortunately, the 40% reduction in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about a 1911 officers model.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    What is your carry ammo and what velocity does it give you with the 3" barrel?

Unfortunately, the 40% reduction in barrel length from 5" to 3" takes a significant toll on velocity and, therefore, significantly reduces terminal ballistics.
    I carry 230 grain Remington Golden Sabers in both. They have fed/ejected 100% in both guns so far and are perfectly centered at 10 yards. I have 550 rounds through the Sig and ZERO malfunctions. I carry in a Galco Fletch thumbreak holster, and I am not sure of the velocities. I have never chronoed the ammo.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Rob Pincushion is no fan of subcompact 1911's

Rob Pincus: Sub-Compact 1911s Suck | The Truth About Guns
    This concerns me as my father-in-law just called me last night saying he was considering a Kimber CDP II.

There is no denying the long run of popularity the baby 1911s have had in recent years. However, Rob Pincus repeats what I have heard from other trainers at various camps... that the sub compact 1911s don't tend to successfully make it through rigorous shooting environments. Training professionals advise AGAINST choosing mini 1911 models for serious defense work - they know well having seen time and time again how these little guns malf when conditions get tough.

Lots of people on the internet crow about how much they love their micro 1911s, but honestly, I would advise anyone who asked me about them to stay the heck away. If you want a subcompact gun, go with .40 or 9mm in a striker-fired design and you will enjoy greater success. As range toys... play with whatever you like. As serious defense tools, listen to what professionals have to say about weapon choices and choose accordingly.

One last element which so many people on forums tend to ignore is velocity loss from the 3" barrels. They believe that because their little gun hasn't jammed while shooting at the range, that all is good. What they ignore is that the loss of velocity in going from a 5" to a 3" barrel significantly decreases the effectiveness of ammunition which was designed to perform well from a 5" barrel. Gold Dot, Ranger, of HST may run fine in the gun under stress free conditions, but suffer a loss of terminal effectiveness due to the loss in velocity. There is exotic (very expensive) ammo, like Corbon DPX which has been shown to perform well from the short barrels, but to function test it with any regularity is really expensive.

So all in all... I'm baffled as to why so many people gladly trade off reliability, capacity, and terminal ballistics just to have a slightly smaller/lighter gun, when a more capable weapon (like a bobtailed LW Commander)

is nearly as easy to carry and conceal and doesn't involve such sacrifices in reliability, capacity, and terminal effectiveness.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I really appreciate the info in this thread even though I'm not the op. I forward that video link to my fater-in-law especially since I seen it ws Kimber in the video. As to not hijack the thread I'm going to open a new thread with a few questions.

yeah I think a commander 4 inch barrel would be better, looking at a Springfield Armory loaded champion. It's their commander model.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguestew View Post
    yeah I think a commander 4 inch barrel would be better, looking at a Springfield Armory loaded champion. It's their commander model.
    A very good choice!

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
    I LOVE my Officers ACP. It has been reliable and accurate and is my favorite pistol to shoot (and I have many 1911 variants including guns built by Novak's, Wilson and Ed Brown).

My Officers has been modified a bit, beavertail, Wilson bushing and guide rod with flat spring, Novak sights and a few other things.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **********************Have a 1st year production Colt OM... It has "visited" Wilson,Siles(gone now..was in NYC) for Novak/Millet sights,Richard Heinie(he did a QUICK turn-around on a reverse-plug) and finally.. a few years back EGW installed their recoil-spring set-up with ISMI piano wire springs! Love the gun. Have a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster. I run Wilson Combat mags. I'm thinking about a doing a refinish,possibly CERAKOTE. I DON'T know how to post pictures..so maybe you can show yours!(LOL)
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I carry a custom Colt 1991A1 Compact (basically a parkerized Officers ACP) off duty and I could not be more pleased with it. For me, it has just the right combination size, weight, and balance for concealed carry. I use 7rd mags, so there is no great loss compared to a Gov't or Commander, it is 100% reliable and very accurate.

I use a Wolff single recoil spring in my gun and it functions perfectly.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

This is such a BEAUTIFUL Colt I had to repost !! Love the whole package, including the stocks!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

IDK how much easier a mini 1911 is to carry, but with a quality holster and belt my Colt Commander is easy to carry. I would recommend the Colt Commander, as that is all I have had experience with. That coupled with the fact that everything else is a clone
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links