Thinking about a 1911 officers model.

This is a discussion on Thinking about a 1911 officers model. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I get my taxes back I'm thinking about buying a 1911 officers model for carry. Any input? Good? Bad?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a 1911 officers model.

When I get my taxes back I'm thinking about buying a 1911 officers model for carry.

Any input? Good? Bad?

2. Remove Ads

I have an RI compact and love mine. OWB works much better but I have found that my FS 1911 works better IWB. The longer barrels stabilizes the weapon in the waist band (at least for me it does).
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I am very happy with the Officer's ACP. It is slim and carries well, and being a 1911, it has superb ergonomics. I like the 8+1 Condition 1 carry as well.

Some (many) will say that it is finicky and unreliable, but I disagree. When buying a top-notch, quality firearm, reliability should be a non-issue. If you are light on funds and cannot spring for a top builder, I would recommend a striker-fired pistol instead.

BTW: I like to carry OWB as well, but sometimes carry IWB at 5:30 in a left-handed holster. It is so slim that I have no issues printing. (I have a slim build and don't dress in oversized clothing either.

I LOVE my Officers ACP. It has been reliable and accurate and is my favorite pistol to shoot (and I have many 1911 variants including guns built by Novak's, Wilson and Ed Brown).

My Officers has been modified a bit, beavertail, Wilson bushing and guide rod with flat spring, Novak sights and a few other things.
    NRA Life Member

Nothing shorter than a Commander length (4") slide for me. I don't like the dual/captured recoil spring (Seecamp) set-up required for the shorter slides.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I think they're cool little guns. But not a great choice for serious defense application. I had a Colt Officers for a while, and felt no significant benefit in conceal-ability against the loss of use of ability to use standard 1911 magazines and the loss of a round of capacity.

There is also the known issue with the recoil spring plug tab that you might want to research to decide if you want to buy into that potential problem, or not.

I decided to explore the bobtail models, got an Ed Brown Bobtail Class A Commander and was sold on the concept.

Since then, I've had two of my Colt Commanders bobtailed. I really like the way the butt feels in the hand, conceals, and the ability to use all of my standard, full-sized mags.

Would you choose an Officers over a Commander or bobtailed Commander because you believe you would have a hard time concealing the latter?

I think a bobtailed Commander would print less than an Officers would, or so similarly as to be a wash for the most part.

Of course if you just want an Officers for the fun of it... certainly nothing wrong with that.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Having carried 1911's, two of them over the last two decades, I truly find myself looking for the perfect carry gun all the time. As my personal preference narrowed down the specific attributes of a carry gun based on what I was comfortable with, I have resigned to the fact that I do not want any additional safety mechanisms to contend with in a SD situation. The manual safety being the main issue to me. Others opinions may vary and yes there are certainly means of getting used to it, all I am stating is that through experience I personally prefer rock solid reliability and no manual movements to engage a threat. In particular, I really love the DA/SA on my new Sig for just that reason. Hope that helps.

I carry a custom Colt 1991A1 Compact (basically a parkerized Officers ACP) off duty and I could not be more pleased with it. For me, it has just the right combination size, weight, and balance for concealed carry. I use 7rd mags, so there is no great loss compared to a Gov't or Commander, it is 100% reliable and very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Nothing shorter than a Commander length (4") slide for me. I don't like the dual/captured recoil spring (Seecamp) set-up required for the shorter slides.
    I use a Wolff single recoil spring in my gun and it functions perfectly.

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Wow, WC that thing is dead sexy.

I have both the Sig Ultra Compact and a Colt New Agent Talo (it has night sights, not the sight "channel"), and I carry both daily. They are both excellent, high quality guns. Neither gives any problems in regard to functioning. Both are also good looking and well fitted. If I had to have only one, I would keep the Sig.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
    I have both the Sig Ultra Compact and a Colt New Agent Talo (it has night sights, not the sight "channel"), and I carry both daily. They are both excellent, high quality guns. Neither gives any problems in regard to functioning. Both are also good looking and well fitted. If I had to have only one, I would keep the Sig.
    What is your carry ammo and what velocity does it give you with the 3" barrel?

Unfortunately, the 40% reduction in barrel length from 5" to 3" takes a significant toll on velocity and, therefore, significantly reduces terminal ballistics.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguestew View Post
    When I get my taxes back I'm thinking about buying a 1911 officers model for carry.

Any input? Good? Bad?
    Why an Officer's model? Grip length? Weight? Why does this model appeal to you more than say, a CCO or Commander (bobbed or standard grip)? This could help folks help you.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Rob Pincushion is no fan of subcompact 1911's

Rob Pincus: Sub-Compact 1911s Suck | The Truth About Guns

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post

Would you choose an Officers over a Commander or bobtailed Commander because you believe you would have a hard time concealing the latter?

I think a bobtailed Commander would print less than an Officers would, or so similarly as to be a wash for the most part.

Of course if you just want an Officers for the fun of it... certainly nothing wrong with that.
    Owning and carrying both, I find my Officers ACP to be quite a bit more concealable and easier to carry than my Ed Brown Kobra Carry. Granted, I carry the Kobra as much or more often and wouldn't say it is hard to conceal.

I ditched the stock recoil spring and plug setup just about immediately when I bought my Officers in '94. Lately I have been using the Wilson Combat flat recoil spring setup in mine. I have a lot of rounds through this gun over the years and it has been extremely reliable.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links