American Classic 1911

American Classic 1911

This is a discussion on American Classic 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you 1911 fans know anything about these or have any experiences with them? I'm looking at getting my first 1911 and a ...

Thread: American Classic 1911

American Classic 1911

Do any of you 1911 fans know anything about these or have any experiences with them? I'm looking at getting my first 1911 and a friend of mine has one of these for sale. I've heard mixed reviews and I'm aware that they're a lower priced 1911. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    If it were me and my money, I'd purchase something a little more reputable. If the price is right
    and it would just be a range toy, I might consider one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

American Classic 1911

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If it were me and my money, I'd purchase something a little more reputable. If the price is right
    and it would just be a range toy, I might consider one.
    It would be a range toy. I'm still not sold on it....

American Classicas are made by Metro Arms from the Phillipines....every bit as good if not better than the Rock Island Armory 1911's also made in the Phillipines.
    I have the Metro Arms American Classic II and its a very nice gun with outstanding fit and finish, considering I paid a whopping $365 for the gun three years ago.
    Prices have risen on all the Metro Arms pistols over the last couple of years putting their price point very close to the lower end Springfields and Remingtons.
    Depending on how much the guy wants for the pistol, they are good guns, but again, I don't believe their value is there today as it was a couple of years ago.

Metro Arms American Classic II with Pearce aftermarket grips.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have only seen Two of these Guns come through our Shop. Both of them had to be sent to a Gun Smith to make them Reliable. If you want it make sure it works first.

I had an AC Commander and it was problematic. Probably something a good gunsmith could have fixed but out of the box I had the following issues:
    1. if you loaded a full 8 rounds in the mag it wouldn't chamber the first round with the included ACT mag (wilson mags cured that issue)
    2. Failure to eject 2-3 times per 100 rounds
    3. 1 or 2 failure to go into battery per 200-300 rounds

It was accurate though, and had lots of "features". I ditched it. If you can save the scratch for a Kimber or Springer it is well worth the increased price. If not, just have a good smith check it out first.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

American Classic 1911

Thanks for the input guys. I shot a another friends Ruger 1911 and they re def sweet pistols. Quite a bit more coin, so I might just save and wait.

+1 on the SR1911. If you are looking for a quality entry level 1911, I'd start with the SR1911. That is, if you can find one. :)

American Classic 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Herder View Post
    +1 on the SR1911. If you are looking for a quality entry level 1911, I'd start with the SR1911. That is, if you can find one. :)
    There's not a gun store around that has one. They also make an officers model in the SR1911 I believe.

Sponsored Links