s&w m&p sheild 9mm or ruger lc9 help me

This is a discussion on s&w m&p sheild 9mm or ruger lc9 help me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd go with the Shield. Or even the M&P 9C/40C. They're not a whole lot bigger. Both the Shield & 40C will allow you to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: s&w m&p sheild 9mm or ruger lc9 help me

GH
    I'd go with the Shield. Or even the M&P 9C/40C. They're not a whole lot bigger. Both the Shield & 40C will allow you to purcha & put a 9MM barrel in it. In the 40C you can also put a .357sig barrel in it & even use the same .40 cal mags.

Then there are Glocks... (I'm partial to M&P & Glock)
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

2. Remove Ads

Fondle both. You'll know which one feels better for you.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have an LC9 and I do like it. I carry in pocket in the Summer and IWB as a BUG a lot too. Its a fine gun. Trigger takes some getting used to. It isn't too big for pocket carry, nice and slim but I hear there are better options. I liked the price so I grabbed it after trading in the LCP, which was just too small for my large hands. If the LC9 was a hair smaller it would be perfect. Getting it out of the pocket quickly is a bit of a chore. Get wide pockets.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I researched all of the 9mm pocket carry options for months before I finally settled on the Kahr CM9. I really really like the Shield, but it is just too big for my pockets by the time I add a holster. I'm 6'2" 275, btw, and wear mostly Carhart work dungrees or khakis. There are those that are pocket carrying the Shield though. The CM9 easily fits in my pockets, but to be quiet honest with you, for me even it is a tad large for pocket carry. It's great if you spend most of your day standing, but once you sit down it looks like you have a wallet in your pocket, which I don't like. I'm still exploring holsters and options though, so hopefully I find something that works for me.

Other options besides the ones mentioned would the Sig P938 or P290RS. I like the P938 but was apprehensive about carrying cocked & locked in my pocket. I didn't like the trigger on the P290 and it is a lot heavier than the CM9, so I ultimately went with the CM9. But I was back and forth for a while.

The Kimber Solo is an aesthetically stunning pistol. I've read reports that it doesn't stay that way though because the finish doesn't last. It apparently also requires premium rounds to function correctly, according to Kimber. But I may eventually get one anyway.

Anyway, good luck with your journey.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Get the Shield...if you can find one. I personally don't care for the trigger on it either, but it's better than the LC9.

Shield is too big for pocket carry. Try a beretta nano it's smaller all around. Own both like the nano better.

Re: s&w m&p sheild 9mm or ruger lc9 help me

Kel tec pf9! Love mine, but I only pocket carry on occasion. I still usually iwb carry it.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Since this is a duplicate post, I'll give you the same answer as the first.

I have no experience with the shield, in fact have not even been able to find one to drool over. However I did have a LC9. IMO the trigger pull on the LC9 is exceptionally long. Neither one are really a good choice for pocket carry, unless you have very large pockets.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Having had a M&P but only held and dry fired a LC9. I'd go with the M&P everyday and twice on Sunday. IMO, the M&P is far superior to the Ruger LC9 for a host of reasons. Ultimately it's you who will be carrying and using the pistol, but again IMO, in the long run I believe the Shield will serve you better overall.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    If you hate the trigger on the LC9, why are you still asking the question? O.o
    Hakkaa päälle!

Pocket gun and range gun are two things that do not mix well. Get a Walther PPS instead!

Get a j frame revolver. The LC9 trigger is too long, the Shield seems to be too big for pockets. A good j frame wits all of your requirements and can be a range gun as well, although if it is going to be a carry gun it should get plenty of range time anyway.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    If you hate the trigger on the LC9, why are you still asking the question? O.o
    I've got a Shield for IWB and and LCP for Pocket. Love 'em!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I have an LC9 and I think it's a good gun. The safety is not hard to switch off but the trigger is very long. I'd go with the Shield because I have heard soooo many people say it's a great gun. I'd like to get my hands on one.

J frame is a great pocket gun. Shield is too long/tall for pocket carry. Lc9 trigger SUCKS.

As stated, the shield is ideal for IWB. Also a great shooter for the range.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links