s&w m&p sheild 9mm or ruger lc9 help me

This is a discussion on s&w m&p sheild 9mm or ruger lc9 help me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; which is better i put money down on a sheild but now i wondering if i should have got the ruger lc9 i want a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: s&w m&p sheild 9mm or ruger lc9 help me

which is better i put money down on a sheild but now i wondering if i should have got the ruger lc9 i want a conceal carry gun. did i make a bad choice going with the shield or should i just get the lc9 instead ? i want opinions please help me i mainly want for pocket carry and a range gun i am a bigger guy 290 6'4

2. Remove Ads

Re: s&w m&p sheild 9mm or ruger lc9 help me

I have both guns and I have never had an issue with either. Being a bigger fella as well I personally like the feel of the shield. It fits in my hand a little more comfortable than the lc9 which makes it fun at the range. Both can fit into pockets pretty decently. I tend to carry my shield a lot more often. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I had an lc9 and it wasn't reliable. Mag safety was also annoying.

If the shield is as good as the m&p I own I'd say stick with that.

Hard to go wrong with either gun... haven't had much experience with the LC9 but have heard a few problems with it. I think you will find there are A TON of Shield fans here at DC, including me. If you regret the buy, sell it to me! They are pretty tough to find here. Nothing but good things from the Shield. Go with your first choice.

Vote for Shield 9mm
    Bark'n and Ransom like this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

i am in a predicament should i buy the ruger lc9 (i hate the trigger pull) or should i get the m&p shield i have money down on a shield 9mm i am looking for pocket carry gun i am a bigger guy 290 6'4 have bigger hand but i also want a range gun i like how small the lc9 was i want a 9mm for my pocket this why i want to get a shield vs lc9 what is every ones opinion on which is better carry and range gun. i have also read about s&w having spring problems another thing i should worrie about i got money on a shield but i can change any time what do people think is better ? maybe can i get some pics of pocket holsters please

Isn't a shield a little big for pocket carry? I want a shield myself but it would primarily go iwb

thanks for the help every one this is why i use this forum amazing help when i need it can some one post pics of the size difference i have held the ic9 it was a little small in my hand i thought it was gonna fly out when i shot it lol this is why i chose the shield for my edc and range gun i got mine on order so now the wait begins but i would appricate it for some pics of itwb holsters and also pocket i want a range/carry gun this is not my first gun i used to pocket carry a glock 19 gen 4 edc so i think shield will be a breeze but idk i all about no one knowing i have a gun

Having both, I recommend the Shield hands down. Granted this is my opinion and others will likely differ, but I

The grip on the Shield is far better than the LC9 for the reason that the LC9 is sort of concave and thing feeling (It doesn't fill my hand well.)
    The Shield comes with two magazines, one of which is an extended magazine.
    That extended magazine grip is the most comfortable feeling handgun grip I have shot, for you as a bigger guy, I think you'll like it more.
    I did not want the raised loaded chamber indicator the LC9 has
    I did not want the magazine disconnect the LC9 has
    It is far easier to disengage the safety on the Shield than LC9
    Take down of the shield is way easier than the LC9
    No internal lock on the Shield

I feel the LC9 is a far snappier gun to shoot compared to the Shield. There is a night and day difference to me in felt recoil with the LC9 compared to the softer firing shield.
    However, when we get down to nuts and bolts, both the LC9 and Shield go bang reliably.

I have been extremely pleased with the Shield and I have yet to find anyone who shoots it who doesn't like it.

I say stick with it and you'll be very pleased. It's not a very good pocket gun though, a bit big.

Shield times a million.

VIP Member
    I have no experience with the shield, in fact have not even been able to find one to drool over. However I did have a LC9. IMO the trigger pull on the LC9 is exceptionally long. Neither one are really a good choice for pocket carry, unless you have very large pockets.
    LynnL likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

IMO, the Shield is too big for pocket carry. I have a Walther PPS (IMO, better than the Shield) which is the same size and it is for all practicality, too big also.
    The LC9 is .33" shorter, but more importantly, the height is .1 TALLER than the Shield. The height is what really limits you in pocket carry, getting it in and out.
    For pocket carry, 9mm, the Kimber Solo, Kahr PM9, Keltec PF9 are the perfect size. Easy in and easy out. I am partial to the Solo.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Here are some high resolution photos of both:

Next To Eachother
    Side by Side

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    Here are some high resolution photos of both:

Next To Eachother
    Side by Side
    Man, that shield is a sexy beast, huh? Can't wait to shoot mine Friday.

LOL, if you thought the Ruger LC9 was going to fly out of your hand, you should try shooting the tiny Ruger LCP in .380. It really likes to climb out of your hand if you don't have a solid grip on that sucker.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ruger LCP. But it's a back-up gun. Not my primary self defense gun.

I own the M&P Shield in 9mm and absolutely love it. It's been a great gun and 100% reliable with everything I've shot through it (which has been about 5 or 6 different brands and types of ammo). I shoot the 147 gr. Federal HST's as my self defense round and the Shield handles it just fine.

I have no experience with the Ruger LC9 so I have no opinion on it. I do have 3 Ruger revolvers and the Ruger LCP, all of which I love and like to shoot.

I don't think you'll have any regrets with the Shield, but if you do, I'll be happy to buy it from you as my wife is trying to steal mine away from me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links