Questions on Kimber.

Questions on Kimber.

This is a discussion on Questions on Kimber. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father-in-law is considering buying a Kimber. His friend has one and has just about sold him on it. He is looking at the CDPII. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Questions on Kimber.

Questions on Kimber.

My father-in-law is considering buying a Kimber. His friend has one and has just about sold him on it. He is looking at the CDPII. After watching the video that was posted in another thread I forwarded it to him. Now when I talked with him last night he was unsure if he wanted it 45 or 9mm. My question is does the 9mm kimber seem to have the same issues as the 45 compact in the video. Is this a common problem in all compact 45s as the video suggest that it is. If he decided to go with a 45 what size would eliminate these issues. I know I have alot of questions but it will be his first gun and I'm ignorant on 1911 style guns. When he started asking about guns back in Nov I had suggested a revolver but sounds like he has decided to go with a 1911. I think part of it is a couple of his good friends have them. I just hate the thought of him buying a gun for personal protection that malfunctions alot.
    Last edited by Eric357; January 22nd, 2013 at 08:48 PM.

I carry a Kimber Pro CDP II in .45. I shoot IDPA with it and have had only 1 jam, and I suspect it was my fault. Basically, I keep it clean and well lubricated.

IMO, if your worried about issues you should stick with the full-sized 45 ACP.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    My father-in-law is considering buying a Kimber. His friend has one and has just about sold him on it. He is looking at the CDPII. After watching the video that was posted in another thread I forwarded it to him. Now when I talked with him last night he was unsure if he wanted it 45 or 9mm. My question is does the 9mm kimber seem to have the same issues as the 45 compact in the video. Is this a common problem in all compact 45s as the video suggest that it is. If he decided to go with a 45 what size would eliminate these issues. I know I have alot of questions but it will be his first gun and I'm ignorant on 1911 style guns. When he started asking about guns back in Nov I had suggested a revolver but sounds like he has decided to go with a 1911. I think part of it is a couple of his good friends have them. I just hate the thought of him buying a gun for personal protection that jams alot.
    The 9mm guns are probably more problematic. The breach face is and internal slide dimensions need to be different and extractor set up can be easily screwed up and the mags are kind of goofy. Now that Wilson Combat has 9mm mags, that part is not much of an issue.

In terms of Kimbers, the Ultras have the history of being most problematic.

The next size (slide wise) up is are the Compact and the Pro, most issues with the Pro are solved by replacing the factory recoil spring with an aftermarket kit.

The 5" guns are the least problematic and you don't hear about too many functional issues with them.

A 5" gun in .45 is a pretty safe bet.

I'm no Kimber fan (I've had four), but the CDP is a pretty nice package.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    If he wants a 1911, stick with the .45 cal. Any 1911 can be a little finicky when new. If he runs the typical 400 rds of hard ball for break-in through a CDPII, it should run just fine. I have a CDP Pro and never had an issue with it. I also have an Ultra Carry II and it was a little finicky until it was broke-in. Now it runs perfect.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Hello Eric357, I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I have quite a few rounds thru it in the last year. I now am comfortable using it as my EDC. The only time it has jammed is in the hands of my Grandson who is a new shooter. It has performed better than I had expected. I shoot it regularly. FWIW.

Thanks, Maybe I'll forward this thead to him

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I have owned a kimber,didn't shoot it that much because I prefer Glocks but I never experienced a problem with it. Now, that being said, and please don't misunderstand me, guns malfunction. Jam is what you put on toast.I say that because that's what my instructors told me some time ago, and you will no doubt hear it alot if you keep saying Jam. Now, into the present. In all of the defensive pistol classes I have been involved in where the instructors are used to seeing every make and model come into the classes and know which ones malfunction the most, which is most dependable,what breaks, what doesn't, although they like the 1911s, who doesn't, I have been told that they are the most problematic of most,barring some really cheap junk. When run hard all day long, they inevitably malfuntion, and have to be worked on and cleaned before the end of the day. I have seen this in some of the classes, always held up because somebodys 1911 won't work. Now there are legions of people who won't shoot any other gun,and I like them alot too, but I'm also told by those that do this every day,all day long, that Glocks are the most dependable. For what it's worth.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Thanks Exacto. By the way I corrected the Jam to malfuction.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I have a full size Kimber. It is my HD gun, and OC gun during hunting season. It does not fail to cycle-ever.

I have seen two separate instructors say they do not trust 3" 1911's. Rob Pincus will give you a refund if you make it through his class with a 3" 1911 without a failure. So far he has not had to pay up.
    My PPS fulfills my subcompact needs.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    My Kimber Pro Raptor had seen many many many rounds and it ran just fine, no problems at all.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but why would barrel length make a difference on a malfunction?

I am pretty new to the 1911's. I had a SA 5" in 9mm and now have a Colt Double Eagle in 45 ACP.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

My Kimber Ultra carry II works very well. It can shoot rings around my Glock 36. It has become my favorite carry gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Larz_NY View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but why would barrel length make a difference on a malfunction?

I am pretty new to the 1911's. I had a SA 5" in 9mm and now have a Colt Double Eagle in 45 ACP.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Be safe!
    Not so much the barrel length, but everything that goes with it, less slide mass, stiffer recoil spring, etc. All those things alter the timing that has to be correct for the gun to do what it needs to do to function properly.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Questions on Kimber.

If the Pincus video is the one I remember (I refuse to watch him and feed his Yeagerish ego) he was holding an older Kimber with the external extractor. Kimber failed miserably with that and moved back to the internal extractor. You decide if that matters to you.

Also, most everyday carriers, and possibly the OP's relative wanting a Kimber, don't usually punish their pistols in training courses on a day to day basis. Don't get so wrapped up in what pistol makes it through this and that all-day torture test blah blah blah. A properly cared for (notice I didn't say expensive custom job) 1911 can run and run well for EDC.

For the record, I decided against the shorter barrel 1911s at the advice of Master Gunsmiths, not hot headed YouTube stars. They can and have fixed issues with shorter barrels, but prefer not to because their name will be attached to it if it fails. JD mentioned the two big issues with them; shorter slide-cycle and recoil spring weight. The shortest barrel I will carry in a 1911 is 4.25" (commander length). Combine that with an officer size frame (CCO) and you get the advantages of the shorter grip and the longer barrel and slide. 45acp would be the caliber of choice based on the original design of the pistol.

Be sure to have this person familiarize himself with the 1911 platform. It can be a wonderful thing owning one when you know everything about it. I trust my life to one everyday, no matter what is said on YouTube.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links