Boberg XR9-L Review

Boberg XR9-L Review

This is a discussion on Boberg XR9-L Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just finished up a review on the Boberg XR9-L. The review is in 3 parts, but this link is for the summary. If you ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ljutic

Thread: Boberg XR9-L Review

Boberg XR9-L Review

I just finished up a review on the Boberg XR9-L. The review is in 3 parts, but this link is for the summary. If you feel like you want more details, the are links to Review Parts 1 and 2 in the Summary.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Boberg XR9-L Review Summary

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I've never heard of this manufacturer...I'm guessing they're international?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Boberg is in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. Relatively new company that just started shipping their pistols back in September 2011. This is their second model that will start shipping late January or early February 2013.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Longtime lurker...finally got off my duff and joined...

I spent a good month or two deciding on a concealed carry and after all of that work, it came down to the Boberg XR9-L and a Steyr S9-A1 and I eventually bought the Steyr but a few more overtime shifts will get me back on track for the Boberg as well. Nice shooting and great review and FWIW, the Steyr is like a swiss watch made of polymer. Real happy with that choice.

I better check into that Steyr. That one wasn't on my radar.

I thought long and hard about getting a XR9s, until the price went up.

I am also leery of the pull-back feed design. There have been reports of cases being pulled off the bullet as the pistol tries to feed, resulting in a jam that is not easy to clear. There was a list of "approved" ammo on the Boberg website - not sure if that is still there.

Really, I have just given up on the whole idea of a reliable and non-finicky 9mm pocket pistol. I have adjusted to the .38 LCR revolver for that role, and do not see that changing anytime soon.

Still, the Boberg design is unique - certainly the most innovative gun to come out in a very long time. I wish them luck - just not for me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Really, I have just given up on the whole idea of a reliable and non-finicky 9mm pocket pistol. I have adjusted to the .38 LCR revolver for that role, and do not see that changing anytime soon.
    Having shot much more than my fair share of pockets 9's, I can say there are some good ones out there. To your point it's unfortunate that it is never a sure thing with any of them. Hard to beat the LCR for day to day reliability.
    10thmtn likes this.

Links