Thin Build Guy - Glock 29/30?

This is a discussion on Thin Build Guy - Glock 29/30? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a S&W Bodyguard Model 38 J-Frame (airweight). I carry in a Barber IWB clip holster at about 400/430. I find it easy ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RKflorida

Thread: Thin Build Guy - Glock 29/30?

I currently carry a S&W Bodyguard Model 38 J-Frame (airweight). I carry in a Barber IWB clip holster at about 400/430. I find it easy to conceal, light, and basically painless to carry

My long term HD gun is a full size Glock (which I love). I've been considering picking up a Glock that I might be able to carry. I'm curious about the ease in carrying a Glock 29 or 30 (unless it's pre-ban, can only carry 10 round mag in Mass.). I'm a pretty skinny guy, so not sure how easy these Glock's would be to conceal and carry on a daily basis? Also curious on opinions regarding the added weight vs. my J-Frame?

Thanks in advance!

Why not carry your full size Glock? Especially in winter months. I am 5'7 150# and I carry a Glock 22 everyday. Not hard to conceal IWB or OWB in a Glock Sport Combat holster. I would think there wouldn't be a lot of difference carrying a 29 or 30 or 22 or 21. If I were looking for maximum concealability (is that a word?) I would look at the 36, 26, 27.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Why not carry your full size Glock? Especially in winter months.
    Good question. I guess I feel it is just too big! Seems to jump from a J-frame to my Glock 17 would be more than I'm willing to carry everyday. That said, a loaded Glock 29 or 30 weighs more than my 17 loaded! I should probably look at the 26 or 27, though they seem to be harder to find in Mass.

Well the 29/30 is a little thicker, and may be felt in a IWB rig, but then it may not depending on you. In an OWB holster that fits tight and pulls the piece in tightly, it should be easy to carry.
    Of course its going to be heavire than a j frame, but what isnt? The weight between the 29/30 weight compared to a full size 9mm or 40 will be negligable.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

As far as loaded weight is concerned, a G36 is a better mid-point between your S&W j-frame And your full-size GLOCK.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    As far as loaded weight is concerned, a G36 is a better mid-point between your S&W j-frame And your full-size GLOCK.
    Agree about the 36. Mine is very comfortable and reliable!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Sounds great, but probably near impossible to find in Mass. Glocks made since 1998 (or so) are not "Mass. Compliant" unless they were brought into the state with someone moving here. Yeah, can't wait 'til we move to NH in a few years...

I think the Glock 30 would be a good choice. I conceal a Glock 21 SF or a Glock 20 SF every day - I like the full sized grip and full sized capacity, and don't have a problem concealing it. 10mm is sort of a niche round - ammo is harder to find, and more expensive. It definitely has it's place though. Have you held a Glock 30?

Austin

I CC a Glock 30. I use a IWB Cleveland holster. It doesn't seem that much different from my Glock 19 until I put it in my hand. I agree with aus71383, hold it in your hand if you haven't already. It is a bit wide for some.

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm like you, Pro. I'm kind of a slim build (5'10", 165#) and I faced a similar problem. I used to have a Glock 30 but sold it because I thought it was too thick/heavy to carry concealed. I then bought a RIA tactical compact(which I discussed on another thread) but sold it because I missed my Glock. I now have the Glock 30 back. I carry it in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB in the small of my back and it works just fine.

I'm going to try to find a Glock 36, though no easy task in Mass. If I can't find a 36 I may settle on a 30, 26 or 27. I think I'm going to pass on the 29. Tough enough finding ammo in MA right now, nevermind finding 10mm.

aus71383, I've only shot Glock 17 (mine), 19 & 22 a few years back.

Any thoughts on Sig P239? Might be a bit too heavy?

I used to have your problem, until I discovered eclairs. Poof! Problem solved.
    gregnsc likes this.

I have the Glock-30SF and carry it once in a while, but the Glock-36 is my EDC.
    Not much difference between the two...the '36' is just a bit lighter.

Between the 29 & 30? In the ammo dept...45 is a bit cheaper to buy and easier to find than 10mm...OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links