Newbie questions on type and carry style

This is a discussion on Newbie questions on type and carry style within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got my CWP and need some input; since reading this thread. until I got my permit I had just been carrying my small ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions on type and carry style

Newbie questions on type and carry style

I recently got my CWP and need some input; since reading this thread. until I got my permit I had just been carrying my small .22 in my coat or pants pocket. Not loaded, but shells in another pocket for those screaming safety! Anyway, since I am carrying mostly to protect myself/kids on our property; is it still better to move on to a holster?
    Second question, alot of what I've seen on this site is that newbies get too big a weapon. Mine is a small 22 that doesn't even cover the palm of my hand (Sundance Industries .22 /cheap gun store weapon). Although I don't have the accuracy I'd like with it as it is small and trying to slowly squeeze the triger is impossible, should I maybe try something a little bigger? No, I'm not looking to carry something huge, but just want something that will be effective in an emergency and let a "would be" know I mean business.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That question would be easier to answer if we knew what price range you are in. Two good smaller weapons in my opinion are the kel-Tec for pocket carry or a little larger frame weapon the Bersa Thunder. Both for less than $250.

Quote Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
    I recently got my CWP and need some input; since reading this thread. until I got my permit I had just been carrying my small .22 in my coat or pants pocket. Not loaded, but shells in another pocket for those screaming safety! Anyway, since I am carrying mostly to protect myself/kids on our property; is it still better to move on to a holster?
    Second question, alot of what I've seen on this site is that newbies get too big a weapon. Mine is a small 22 that doesn't even cover the palm of my hand (Sundance Industries .22 /cheap gun store weapon). Although I don't have the accuracy I'd like with it as it is small and trying to slowly squeeze the triger is impossible, should I maybe try something a little bigger? No, I'm not looking to carry something huge, but just want something that will be effective in an emergency and let a "would be" know I mean business.
    To start with, what I'm about to tell you is my personal opinion.

To the first question: Yes, I would buy a holster and preferrably strong side. In my opinion as well as training that I've had, it takes extra time (shortest distance and time is still a straight line) to draw from cross, small of the back, ankle, pocket, etc...

To the second question: A .22lr is great if you're going to place the muzzle either in the perp eye or base of the skull, but if you want something small that's will deliever sufficient stopping power then either a Kahr P9 or J-frame S&W in .357 mag loaded with .38 spl +P.

Thanks for the input so far. I don't want to spend alot of money; but don't want to waste money on cheap/ineffective either. The one I have was all I could afford at the time.
    I'd also rather have something small that will stop someone before they get close enough to me. I'm not afraid of a big gun (I'm a retired Marine), it'd be harder to conceal on me. I guess I am looking for the most effective weapon in a small package.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I not sure of what you really are looking for or $'s you are willing to spend.
    I might suggest a KelTec in .32 or .380...looking is free...

Good Luck...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Thanks for the input so far. I don't want to spend alot of money; but don't want to waste money on cheap/ineffective either. The one I have was all I could afford at the time.
    I'd also rather have something small that will stop someone before they get close enough to me. I'm not afraid of a big gun (I'm a retired Marine), it'd be harder to conceal on me. I guess I am looking for the most effective weapon in a small package.

In my opinion do not go below a 380 in caliber. I feel that is the minimum in self defence.

Assistant Administrator
    want something that will be effective in an emergency and let a "would be" know I mean business.
    Only problem is here - if you actually have to have your gun out - last resort - it's less a case of ''meaning business'' - it is more like having to DO the business!

Therefore you want something effective enough so you do not end up being harmed.

I would consider a .380 minimum but that still need not strain your cash flow too bad. For approx similar monies, you could go small, small - P3-AT or a bit bigger and heavier with Bersa Thunder .380.

Any gun as we always say better than none but - try and get up into centerfire at least if possible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'd go for a Glock 26 or 27. I have a G23 and love it.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

The kind of situations that call for the use of a handgun are the most dire circumstances.
    One must assume that if a gun is applied, then your life or the lives of your loved ones is in danger.
    So, training and the selection of equipment should be proportionate.
    A .22 caliber handgun is inadequate unless it is in the hands of a highly trained assassin.
    In my opinion, for stopping power, I want to go with a
    .38 at the very least.
    I have a gun in .380, and I enjoy it, but I don't consider it an effective defense round.
    My preference is .45, .38, .357

Administrator
    P95carry is correct- For the budget minded, Bersa Thunder or the Kel-Tec. I'm a bit of a gun snob, and I love my Kel-tecs!

You can get a Taurus revolver pretty inexpensive too, either .38 or .357.

.380 is a minimum for self defense.

I don't have either, but +1 for the Bersa or Kel-Tec (about $250)on cost with a minimum caliber of .380. A S&W j-frame is IMO better (but more $$$$ from $125 to $400 depending on model & caliber), with a similar Tarus revolver costing quite a bit less.

Administrator

Welcome To CombatCarry. Thanks For Joining Us.

So much of your post sounds so newbie new.
    Please note that I don't mean that in any derogatory manner.

It's just that it shows that you do need some friendly and helpful advice.
    You found the right forum. That's a great first step.

Now that you have your License To Carry it's getting to be time to think about how serious you want to get about protecting yourself and your family.

Remember that when you adequately protect yourself you also simultaneously protect your family...because you help insure the fact that you'll come home to be there for them.
    It does not take tons of money to do better than you are doing right now.

Absolutely, the cheap inaccurate unloaded pocket carried sundance
    .22 with the impossible trigger has got to go.

A good first step upward toward better protection for you would be a S&W J Frame .38 Revolver with at least a Galco quality holster...and add to that a good quality decent gun belt.

If you don't want to buy a brand new handgun then there are plenty of great condition used ones out there.

Reading past threads and topics on CombatCarry will also help you out.

welcome to the forum. There are a great bunch of men and women here with a wealth of info. Everyone is very willling to help and in my time here I have come to realize that the best interests of everyone are usually at the forefront of all discussions here.

In that vein I will comment on your posting.

Not loaded, but shells in another pocket for those screaming safety! .
    If your carrying a gun that's not safe to carry loaded, stop carrying it, get something safe, and train yourself to be safe with it. Once this is accomplished, never carry an unloaded gun. If you have time to load, then you have time to evade the threat. If the threat is such that you can't evade, you need your weapon loaded.
    For goodness sake, Don't pull an unloaded gun because you escalte the situation beyond your capability to deal with it.
    (ie. now you are in a life or death fight, and your gun is unloaded)

Second question, alot of what I've seen on this site is that newbies get too big a weapon. Mine is a small 22 that doesn't even cover the palm of my hand (Sundance Industries .22 /cheap gun store weapon). .
    I wouldn't go smaller than a .38. Some would, not me.

No, I'm not looking to carry something huge, but just want something that will be effective in an emergency and let a "would be" know I mean business.
    Remember, guns are an absolute last resort. To legally pull a gun, the threat of deadly force must have been perceived by you. By brandishing; a gun enters the scene, deadly force is present. You need to be sure it's necessary, and fully prepared to use it instantly if need be. I hope that makes sense.

All of us were newbies once, and it is in all of our best interest to help one another out.

Take care, stay safe.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Welcome aboard. We were all new once too.

At a minimum, I'd get a pocket holster for any small gun you're going to carry. There are several good holster artisans here. There's also Robert Mika's Pocket holster. Not fine leather just simple and functional. He can make them up for almost anything you have. Send him a tracing and some dimensions.

For pocket carry, I use a pocket holster and put NOTHING else in that pocket. I find pleated pants to be better at breakng up any outline. Jeans make it difficult even if they're a little baggy.

I often carry a Airlight Taurus Model 85. 2" Barrel, .38 Special (+p) 5 shots (clone of the S&W J Frames). It's light and its print or what shows through a pocket seems to me to be more organic than a semi-auto. The great thing about pocket carry is that you can put your hand in your pockt casually and no one really knows you've just aquired a combat grip. You can also shoot a revolver through a coat pocket if need be.

I also have a cheapie IWB for the J-Frame and it just disapears. With dark grips and a dark t-shirt, it's almost invisible even with the shirt tucked in behind it.

My recent preference is a Galco Paddle holster for the J Frame. Since we hae layer weather here in MN now, I can get away with it and not worry about printing at all.

My other option is a XD-9 Service length (4" BBL). I'm going to order a Tucker Answer holster for that one. IWB, leather against me and kydex on the outside for shape retention and one handed reholstering. I'd recommend giving them a look even though they're not inexpensive.

Aside from having the trigger covered on any gun you carry and not carrying anything else in the pocket with your gun, I have no strong opinions for you. My advice is based on what works for me in my situation. Your needs, Wardrobe, daily events, interactions, climate and etc will all differ. You've found a good source of info here. You;ve also taken the important step of admiting you have something to learn. Keep on reading. Keep posting. We can all learn from each other.

Good luck.

.38 Snubby

I agree with Sixto here.

Check into the .38 Spl and .357 snubbies.

Easy to conceal and sufficient to do the job when needed.

I buy Wrangler jeans because they have slightly deeper pockets than most. My .38 sub will go into the front pocket and not even print.

....Skye....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links