Thoughts on this sig P232

This is a discussion on Thoughts on this sig P232 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've finally decided to quit putting it off and get my CCL...the world is just getting too crazy for me and my family. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on this sig P232

Thoughts on this sig P232

So I've finally decided to quit putting it off and get my CCL...the world is just getting too crazy for me and my family. I've done LOTS of reading and research and learned a LOT from here and a few other sites. I went out and found a gun I really like for my main carry use...I ended up with a Ruger SR40C. Out of all the guns I was looking at in my price range this one fit me best. I've put a couple hundred down range without a hiccup and am still very pleased with it. Went to a class and sent off my application packet so now I'm just waiting for my license to come in. To carry it with I ordered an IWB holster and belt.

Now comes my question.

I have a friend that has offered to sell me a stainless Sig P232 for $400. Not a bad price and I like the gun but I'm really tore on what to do. I hear so much negative about the .380 round for self defense. I do like the idea of having a smaller carry gun for times when the SR40C couldn't be concealed well. From what I see the sig is a little large for pocket carry and I wear blue jeans mostly anyways so I'm not real keen on having to dig a gun out of my pocket if needed anyways. If I was to go with another IWB for the Sig would it really be that much of a difference over the SR40C or would I be better off just always dressing around the larger gun?

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have a P232 and I love it. It has a decocker so you can carry one in the chamber. The gun is SA/DA so no need to cock the hammer. It is slim and can be carried in a multitude of ways. I have literally run over a thousand rounds through mine with no failures. Accuracy at 20 feet is amazing. As far as the .380 caliber is concerned, pratice makes perfect. Its not about the size of the round, its shot placement that counts. I have no fears about carrying mine as an EDC. IMHO YMMV
    ctr likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Do you think $400 is a good deal? Comes with original case and 2 mags.

I'm still looking around trying to decide the best way to carry it if I do end up with it.

If it looks like it's been taken care of, $400 is reasonable. Shoot it first so you know for sure that it functions properly, maybe even have a smith look at it. I carry mine in a HBE Pro TL tuckable holster @ 3:00 and also have a Galco Executive shoulder holster (James Bond style). Both work very well for CC.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I will look at those options, thanks. Is there a noticeable size difference between the sig and a larger gun when carrying IWB? I know the holster adds bulk but don't have any real world experience to know how much...I guess what I'm trying to say is that is it worth spending the money to get the sig set up for IWB if I'm not going to be able to conceal the larger main carry gun?

I've been going back and forth on a shoulder holster but I will probably end up with one to try it out.

The Sig is a compact size pistol. It is comparable to the Bersa Thunder and the Walther PPK(s). Personally, I like the Sig quality better. All of these are the same basic frame size and are very thin. They have a single stack 7 round magazine. They will conceal very nicely IWB. I have a friend with a 232 that carries his in a pocket holster and he wears cargo pants. Shoot the gun first and see what you think, then you can shop for holsters and various carry methods.

The SIG 232 is a great pistol and the price is pretty good. It's basically a modern styled Walther PPK. It's an all-metal gun so it will be on the heavy side for a (sub)compact pistol. It is also a "larger" pistol compared to other .380. It does offer better ergo and shootability. Something that you would enjoy shooting more than other feather-like pocket .380. As for the .380ACP round, it's an adequate defense round. Don't believe those who would settle for nothing smaller than a .45.

Here's a pretty thorough study on common calibers and its stopping power:
    An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

It's a bit of a long read. But what I got out of it is - accuracy and well-placed shot is far more important than caliber. In all inccidents involving a .380ACP, only 16% of people were NOT incapacitated in the end. and most .380 pistols only have 6-7 rounds. What about .45ACP with 7-8 rounds in 1911s or 10 rounds in double stack semi-auto? 14% of the people were NOT incapacitated. It really is "not about the size but how you use it". :)

Last edited by Goat_Herder; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:19 AM. Reason: TYPO

Thank you for the food for thought....I was hoping someone would tell me to run, the .40 was all I needed! Lol

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The price, $400, is excellent for a stainless model. The P232 is an excellent CCW, as it has all the traits I look for in a carry gun. It's reliable, slick and slim, it's accurate, points naturally better than most any gun, comes in a light alloy model as well as stainless, and has several grip options. It's a great gun. Even if you don't carry it, it's a good buy and addition to your collection.
    I've carried in a Galco Fletch, Miami Classic and Executive.

I have a stainless P232, and if I could find another one in excellent condition for $400, I'd buy it today. One of the finest pistols I've ever had my hands on.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Bought the stainless P232 for my wife for Christmas. I agree with all the previous comments about it: beautiful weapon, great finish and balance, fits our hands, fun to shoot, and accurate. The price I paid here in the Peoples' Republic was north of $700. So, yeah, Chris, if it shoots fine then buy it!

Excellent gun! I have one as my carry gun.

mkh
    It's a Sig. 'Nuff said.

Seriously though it is a good price for a great gun. It would work well for those situations where you can't conceal the larger .40.

Man, that's a, "can't pass up," deal. It's a great weapon. It shoots better than the ppk, in my opinion. No hammer bite. The stainless is a bit heavier than the blued version. Makes it almost too heavy for pocket carry, but you can still get away with it.

I've carried 232 in just about every conceivable manner: hip, shoulder, pocket, ankle, IWB....a very good concealed carry weapon. Very accurate, fun to shoot. 'Till the 938 and 238 came out, I used one quite a bit.
    Goat_Herder likes this.

My Favorite

I have a P232 and love it, it's my favorite pistol. I carry it with a Galco OWB small of back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links