Pocket carry: Kahr CM9 vs Sig p938/P238

This is a discussion on Pocket carry: Kahr CM9 vs Sig p938/P238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I have been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks now and have learned a lot! This is my first post, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pocket carry: Kahr CM9 vs Sig p938/P238

Hi all, I have been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks now and have learned a lot! This is my first post, and I hope to contribute in the future as well. Today, however, I need some feedback and opinions. I have been a Glock fan for years, owning both a 22 and 23. In my old jobs I could carry the 23 under my shirt, sweatshirt or jacket no problem. I got a new job a year ago and have to dress more business, and less casual. This has presented a challenge to me about carrying, and I have come to the conclusion that my only real option is to pocket carry. As a Glock guy I knew I was going to have to step outside my comfort zone as even the 27 was going to be too big to pocket carry. I've done lots of research here and at my LGS and was really thinking the Kahr CM9 was going to be the ticket for me......and it may still be. However, today one of the employees really tried to sway me to the Sig p238 or P938. I must admit I loved how they felt in my hand, and I'm now torn about which way to go. I have shot them all and I find positives and negatives about each. I really loved the single action trigger of the Sig, but the Kahr frame is more like the glock to me. I really thought I would be uncomfortable with the single action, 1911 style gun with exposed hammer, but after shooting it I'm okay with it. I do worry about getting used to the thumb safety...it seemed easy on the range but in a threatening situation? Lastly the employee encouraged me to highly consider the P238 and not dismiss it to being a .380 vs 9mm. He advised the size was easier to pocket carry.

So, I'm looking for opinions. Any Glock die hards like me move to a pocket pistol? If so was it the Sig or Kahr and why?

Thanks!
    Trex

I went to a Kahr PM9 for summer carry and love it in a Mitch Rosen CLP Clipper or Desantis Nemesis. I carry a Glock in the winter months. Whatever you choose, go 9 over 380...IMO.

I just went through all of this myself and ended up with a CM9. I wanted at least a 9mm, so I didn't consider the P238. I did consider the P938, but I was just too apprehensive about pocket carrying cocked & locked. I'm sure it's perfectly safe and I know a lot of people do it, but I just couldn't bring myself too. It is a nice pistol though.

In my opinion, the CM9 has the perfect trigger for pocket carrying. It is a DAO trigger that is long, but not too heavy, and it is very smooth with no stacking. It is also one of the smallest, lightest 9mm single stacks on the market. It is still a pocket full though and I wouldn't want anything any bigger for pocket carry.

In the end, most all of them are good pistols. Just pick the one you like the best. I wish I had them all and could rotate them daily.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Many gun shops have kahrs for rentals and many guys in your area if asked will let other shot there pistols. maybe a way to try both. I do not want anything that has a external saftey to have to learn and mess with so for me that kills the sigs. The cm9 is my pocket pistol but I can tell you that all the 9mm's do fill pockets enought to know something is hideing. Why not pick a size up and IWB on the front side. I find a for me a kahr cw9, shield , nano, kt p11 and several other handguns in the same class can tuck in and be unnoticable. I have a skinny son in law that cc's a p11 under a t-shirt. I cc a cw9 kahr in a comp-tac minotuar and can hide under a slightly loose t-shirt or botton down all tucked in and have no issues with driveing or setting with it in front.

I will say I do not like to change trigger styles for CC. For me its a long little DA for 26 years. Maybe with the right holster you could hide smaller like triggered handgun , glock 2or 27 and not have to learn a different handgun as the trigger and natural point is the same.

I also carry a Glock as my daily carry, and the Kahr CM9 is IMO, the perfect pocket pistol. The long, smooth double action trigger is just what you want in a gun that rides
    in your pocket, and getting used to the trigger took me all of one range session. I carry the CM9 as a second gun to my various Glocks.
    Also have the CM40 which is a fun little hand cannon. Difference in size from the CM9 is miniscule.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Personally, I would never pocket carry a single action pistol regardless of whether it had a thumb safety or not.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Welcome to the forum...I think as long as you carry it in a pocket holster to keep the trigger from snagging on anything the safety issue should not be as much a concern...As for me I bought a CM9 Kahr versus the expensive PM 9 KAHR and at close range I was amazed at how reliable and accurate it really is and like you I prefer minimum a 9mm round for self protection. I actually often carry this little thin rocket in my vest where my trauma plate is for a back up weapon when I don't have my regular knife in there. I also carry it in my front pocket in the warmer months. I only differ in one opinion that you have and that is your comment on how good those lttle pocket single stacks feel in the hand, to me they all suck but for their purpose as long as I can present it fast enough and send accurate rounds down range It is all good. As for feel in my opinion nothing feels better in my hand than a 1911 and a Browning High Power and I have pretty meaty hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trex33 View Post
    Hi all, I have been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks now and have learned a lot! This is my first post, and I hope to contribute in the future as well. Today, however, I need some feedback and opinions. I have been a Glock fan for years, owning both a 22 and 23. In my old jobs I could carry the 23 under my shirt, sweatshirt or jacket no problem. I got a new job a year ago and have to dress more business, and less casual. This has presented a challenge to me about carrying, and I have come to the conclusion that my only real option is to pocket carry. As a Glock guy I knew I was going to have to step outside my comfort zone as even the 27 was going to be too big to pocket carry. I've done lots of research here and at my LGS and was really thinking the Kahr CM9 was going to be the ticket for me......and it may still be. However, today one of the employees really tried to sway me to the Sig p238 or P938. I must admit I loved how they felt in my hand, and I'm now torn about which way to go. I have shot them all and I find positives and negatives about each. I really loved the single action trigger of the Sig, but the Kahr frame is more like the glock to me. I really thought I would be uncomfortable with the single action, 1911 style gun with exposed hammer, but after shooting it I'm okay with it. I do worry about getting used to the thumb safety...it seemed easy on the range but in a threatening situation? Lastly the employee encouraged me to highly consider the P238 and not dismiss it to being a .380 vs 9mm. He advised the size was easier to pocket carry.

So, I'm looking for opinions. Any Glock die hards like me move to a pocket pistol? If so was it the Sig or Kahr and why?

Thanks!
    Trex
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I truly love my Kahr CM9. I would go with the 9 also over the .380 one of which I also have in the LCP for very deep cover so to speak. I only use the LCP in the summer with swim trucks etc. in a Ramora IWB. By the way I like to carry the Hornady Critital Duty 9mm in +P in the Kahr. IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

As a fellow GLOCK owner I'd have to strongly suggest straying away from any carry gun with a manual safety. I've owned a Kahr CW9 before and it was as intuitive and reliable as any GLOCK I've owned. Go with the CM9 hands down! If I ever needed another single stack subcompact 9mm I'd certainly buy a CM9 without a thought.

I recommend the CM9 my 2 carry guns are the CM9 and Glock 26. Pocket carry the CM9 in Sticky Holster in pocket and seems to work good in Kahki pants and dress shirt.

Also my Kahr has been 100% reliable and cost just over $400 out the door I highly recommend.

The trigger of the CM9 is much longer than the Glock.

It bothers some, but not others

I had a CM9 and an M&P 45C

The trigger on the CM9 is more like a smooth revolver

But VERY long, very different than the M&P

I ended up getting rid of the CM9.... (I have a Shield 40 that gets carry time)

After seeing how slow i am from pocket draw, i opted for IWB 100 percent.

(tueller drill)

If i couldnt IWB, I would get an LCR....... Comes out much faster
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I dual pocket carry daily in business attire. Ruger LCR revolver in one pocket, and a LCP in the other as a BUG. Some smaller pockets might require minor tailoring (deepening) to fit the revolver, but it is well worth it, IMHO.

I tried...and tried...and tried...to make the PM9 work. No dice. Much happier with a revolver for the pocket role.

Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

I would also not carry a SA pistol in a pocket. Too much risk of lint getting between the cocked hammer and the firing pin, rendering the gun useless. You would have to be very diligent about keeping it clean. No thanks. And, as a Glock shooter, I would not want to retrain myself to remember to thumb off a safety. I know others are OK with this - not me. I like to keep things consistent and simple - pull gun, point at threat, pull trigger.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I traded a Sig P238 for a PM9, which I traded for an MK9, which was a very nice gun, but IMO too heavy for pocket carry and ended up getting traded for ??? I'm now a proud owner of a CM9, which, like the PM9 that I should've kept, is absolutely IDEAL for pocket carry. Nice long but SMOOTH trigger, very accurate, very manageable small shooter. Highly recommended..

I can't speak about the sig but I do have a kahr CM9 and love it. I carry it in my pocket in jeans and it does very well. Shoots great, smooth trigger, no issues of any kind.

Sig P938...No question. Don't worry about the pocket carry in condition 1. Carry in pocket holster...the safety is very positive and won't be a problem.
    candalos likes this.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links