New User - First Time Owner - Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on New User - First Time Owner - Concealed Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good Afternoon guys! Im a new member on here, and new to guns in general as well - So please bear with me if any ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New User - First Time Owner - Concealed Carry

Good Afternoon guys! Im a new member on here, and new to guns in general as well - So please bear with me if any of my questions seem stupid or otherwise. Over the past few months I have been debating on buying a Firearm and I got the approval from the GF and all that - So its all green lights from here.

Im going to pick up one of those small safes that use your Fingerprint to access so its secure, yet still easy to get to if I ever need to get my gun quickly.

Just a little background: I just recently picked up my Concealed Carry Permit, and am going to be signing up for the NRA Basics classes to learn all the essentials before purchasing also.

This gun is for me alone, my GF is not going to be shooting / using it. Im 6'2 and around 220 pounds with bigger sized hands, Im about average build. From my research so far ive already ruled out pocket carry pistols, im looking for something that will go IWB and be 100% concealable... I will carry this with me every day of the week, everywhere I go, So i need it to be 100% comfortable for long term use and 100% concealable also so im not walking around freaking people out.

I went to the range with my stepdad recently and shot a .22 Pistol, a 9mm and a 1911 .45.... I have to say that the .22 felt absolutely boring / stupid and was pretty "emotionless".. Then I picked up the 9mm, now we are getting better... Then I picked up the 1911 .45... Man this thing is NICE! I shot it a few times, WOW this is sweet! So Now im dead set on .45 ACP as my personal preference.

So now that we have it narrowed down, im looking for a comfortable / concealable IWB .45 ACP defensive carry pistol. Im looking to spend in the 500 range or less... Ive seen a few options... Specifically the Kahr CW45, the Springfield Armory XDS and the XD Compact, all seem to be good choices.. I must say this is going to be my ONLY firearm... So this is NOT just for defensive carry, im going to be going to the firing range with it as well... So I want something thats good at "multi tasking" and fun to shoot.

Does anyone have any opinions on which gun to get? The Kahr CW45 seems / looks "Cheap" and has had a bunch of bad reviews about it online, but its by far the cheapest of the 3, being like 300 something dollars... What about the Springfield Armory XD 45 Compact?? This seems to be on the BIGGER side for concealed carry being a double stack mag or whatever, is this still doable??? What about the XDS??? I have not yet seen one of these in the wild but I have heard great things about them... but I think they are on the pricier side?? 600 something dollars??? I really wish Ruger would make an SR45c as I really like the SR series but nothing they have fits the bill currently in .45 ACP..

Thanks guys I appreciate it and any help will go a long way... Thanks!
    Last edited by Joe87t; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:35 PM.

Welcome. This is an AWESOME forum and group of guys AND gals! Any question you could ever have can be answered here.

The XDS is pretty sweet! Why rule out a pocket carry? I am new to this also, but have a Shield for my IWB (Malls, Theaters, Public Spaces, etc.) and an LCP for work and more discreet occassions.

Good luck, be safe and have fun!!!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome on board from Hurst, Texas. Sorry I only have 9 & 380 pistols but there are a ton of .45 cal users here so you are in the right place.

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Alabama
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Welcome Sir, from the MS Gulf Coast. You'll get lots of replies on this thread, as we all have opinions on the topic. :)

You'll be happy with the .45ACP as your primary (or in your case ONLY) firearm I believe. Each platform, whether it's a striker type (GLOCK), or DA/SA (SIG/H&K etc), or 1911 (SA Only) have pro's and con's to them. An accomplished/experienced shooter can shoot them all well, but it can be confusing to a novice shooter. But relax! We all started where you are, and only time and gunpowder turned into gunfire will change that. You're right to take the training offered by the NRA, and any other training you can find. Can't get too much, if it's good training, by good instructors.

If you were my personal friend, and I was advising you on a first gun, considering you already like the .45ACP, I'd probably have you shoot a GLOCK, an FN, and one of my 1911's. It would give you a sense of the differences. The small GLOCKS in .45ACP handle very well for me, as the recoil feels like it's pushing back into your hand, versus flipping up. Makes follow up shots easier and more accurate.

I personally don't like the double action first shot, single action trigger for the rest. I've carried them, shot them all very well, but prefer my trigger to be the same every time I pull the trigger. My 1911's and GLOCKS give me that. I'm not dissing the others, just telling you what I prefer.

All of these pistols come in smaller sizes, which work well as carry pistols and home defense purposes.

I envy your journey, as it's going to be a lot of fun. Good luck, and be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Welcome friend, and congratulations on your decision to become a responsible gun owner and exercise your right to carry and defend yourself.

My main carry gun is a Smith & Wesson Military & Police 45c. It is a compact version of their full-size M&P 45, but not quite as small as their compact 9mm or .40 caliber pistols. I heartily recommend it due to ergonomics, reliability, concealability and performance. They come with 2 magazines and 3 sizes of grip so that you can tailor the grip size and palm swell to your hand. They are also reasonably priced, usually being in the low $500 range for a new-in-box gun.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Enjoy the forum....................
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    You mentioned a wife and a GF... if they are not one in the same, one of them is going to use your new gun to shoot you!

I'm a Springfield guy so I don't think you can go wrong with XDs or the XD compact! If you plan to shoot a lot, might want to check ammo prices before you set you mind on a .45. If I didn't shoot at least once a week I would prob carry a .45 but since I do... It's 9mm for me. If I shop carefully, every time I pull the tigger, 2 dimes fly out the barrel, with a .45 its closer to a quarter and 1 dime.
    Buckeye00 likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    welcome to the forum from florida, New Hampshire lets you get the CCW before the NRA class?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Welcome from Utah.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    welcome to the forum from florida, New Hampshire lets you get the CCW before the NRA class?
    Perhaps it's a state that doesn't require a class to get your licence, but the OP is choosing to get training to educate himself (wise move).

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    You mentioned a wife and a GF... if they are not one in the same, one of them is going to use your new gun to shoot you!

I'm a Springfield guy so I don't think you can go wrong with XDs or the XD compact! If you plan to shoot a lot, might want to check ammo prices before you set you mind on a .45. If I didn't shoot at least once a week I would prob carry a .45 but since I do... It's 9mm for me. If I shop carefully, every time I pull the tigger, 2 dimes fly out the barrel, with a .45 its closer to a quarter and 1 dime.
    I was wondering the same thing! Or maybe the wife gave him the "green light" because the GF wasn't going to use it.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

GH
    Don't forget to consider a Glock 21 or S&W's M&P 45 or 45C (with pinky extensions on the mags). With your size I'd stay away from the itty-bitty guns although those would be easier to conceal.

The G21 carries 13 rounds +1 in the chamber giving you a good capacity. The M&P 45 carries 10+1 & the 45C (compact) carries 8+1. Glock subcompacts in .45 cal - the G30 has a 10+1 round capacity, the G36 - 6+1 rounds. Those might be a bit small for you but highly concealable & would probably be okay with pinky extensions on the mags.

All of the guns mentioned above are fine guns. It's just that I know Glock & M&P.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

My local shop has a BNIB Bi-Tone Springfield XDS for sale for $604... But then ive heard of people picking up Kahr CW45s for literally $325 so almost half the price of the springfield!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links